Dish (is not) cutting retailers installation payments again.

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
The retailer I sub for said Dish has cut their payments again to retailers and he has to pass the loss on to me. I now make 1/2 the money on installs then I was making 9 years ago. Time for me to move on as I no longer can afford to work installing Dish. I loved this job but the time has come to say good-bye to installing Dish/Direct and Dishnet. Going to miss all my customers and the enjoyment of working in this field. Time for a 9 to 5 indoor job.

Ouch, that sucks, every time I get a tech at home, the first thing they do is talk about getting a lousy pay per install.

This is PR, back in 2000, Techs had twice the work here compared to the ones in the CONUS. Each install required two 6' Dishes made by Channel Master. Those things were HUGE and hard to aim back then... The tech that did my original install spent 6 hours in my home getting two TVs ready. I felt so bad that I even pitched in and helped him get the dishes onto my roof and serve as a spare hand.

?

I haven't seen any changes yet. Would be nice to know specifics & if this is already in place or coming down the pipe.

Just got paid on a h/j install & didn't notice anything different. Same incentives as before to the "T".

I haven't seen any changes yet. Would be nice to know specifics & if this is already in place or coming down the pipe.

Just got paid on a h/j install & didn't notice anything different. Same incentives as before to the "T".

Maybe, just maybe, there isn't anything like that going on, if you know what I mean...

Dish Retailer here and we haven't seen any differences or heard any rumors. Have a meeting with our Dish sales rep tomorrow and I'm sure this will come up. :)

Rumors abound all the time. Best to not rush to judgement until "yes or no" confirmation is released.

Working as an installer for Dish is the only job I know that you take cuts vs getting a raise each year. They always find a way to cut something or cause you to lose time/money while doing the install. See we now have to try to sell sh*t to people which takes up time at the install which in turn costs you money down the road. Either way my time is very valuable for something I could be doing at home, I get 4-6 installs or service calls and I do them and I go home, that is how it should be but it isn't. So not only do you have to make sure its all great quality work but you have to get them all done no matter how long it takes or what the weather is like AND try to sell them things that most people do not want.

Yeah when I had someone out to swap LNBs he tried to sell me Dish-branded HDMI cables and was telling me that my current HDMI cables could only do 720p and his did the full 1080. I showed him that they do 1080 just fine (they're the ones that came with the Hoppers in the first place.) I kinda felt bad for the guy but I can't just blow money on pointless items out of pity. He was cool though.

I had my service installed about three months ago, and the contractor did a pretty good install. About a week later, two Dish supervisors came to my house to completely inspect and critique the install. They spent about 30 minutes going over everything. Dish seems to really keep on top of the installers now, so they probably get rid of some installers in the process, or at least ding them for this, that , or the other thing.

Biggest delay was the Hopper was defective and he took about a half hour to go back to his house to get another one. You would think he would have a spare on his truck. The guys work very hard and don't deserve a pay cut by any means.

I have not heard anything from Dish about getting fewer incentives on installs. I can't imagine that it's taken affect for your retailer yet if they are going to lower it. Sounds to me that you are getting screwed until I hear otherwise.

Over the last few months, because of temporary incentives, this retailer has actually seen a small increase in pay for the frst time in quite a few years. The OP's employer may have cut his pay in anticipation of the future scheduled expiration of those incentives. Nothing has changed yet tho.

Last edited:
Our Dish area sales rep just left and he said he hasn't heard anything about any incentive or payment changes at all. That and the fact that Dish cancelled the July retailer chat makes it safe to say that there are no changes coming in the near future.

Dish actually pays retailers pretty well. Most installers don't have any idea what dish pays, only what they get paid from whoever they work for.

This opens up another can of beans. Some retailers & installation companies have big overhead & many non revenue producing positions on the payroll. The money gets cut so bad by the time it gets to the productive people like installers & sales people there isn't much left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)