Dish is "Oh so sensitive"

fslove said:
My GOD! If you actually believe what you have written above then you are a horrible person! To compare a mere theft of equipment to someone losing EVERYTHING in a Tornado is rediculous! Yes, legally Dish can demand payment for the lost equipment, BUT their is a human emotion called COMPASION that should have entered into this situation. At the very least it would have been a nice PR move for Dish to actually show some empathy for their fellow man (or woman in this case). But alas Dish continues to show their sheer lack of giving the slightest damn about their customers!

Please, get a grip. If you believe what JBKing has written, then you are just a realistic person, not a horrible person. If I had $800 of dish network equipment in my house, you bet for sure I would know what would happen in case of loss (insurance coverering it, etc). And if I did lose everything, the last thing to be worrying about is friggin satellite TV and associated costs. This person sounds like she was looking for a handout and did not get it, well that is the way it works sometimes.

Maybe she send an email to ceo@echostar.com, or dial the executive office.

marko said:
Please, get a grip. If you believe what JBKing has written, then you are just a realistic person, not a horrible person. If I had $800 of dish network equipment in my house, you bet for sure I would know what would happen in case of loss (insurance coverering it, etc). And if I did lose everything, the last thing to be worrying about is friggin satellite TV and associated costs. This person sounds like she was looking for a handout and did not get it, well that is the way it works sometimes.

Maybe she send an email to ceo@echostar.com, or dial the executive office.
:rolleyes: Such compasion. Geeeeez!

I hate to say it but I agree with E* on this one. What if it's a leased car that's totaled during a tornado, do you expect GMAC or whatever to eat the lease as 'good will'? I don't even see why E*'s extended coverage should have to cover this, it's not a failure of E* hardware but an act of god. This is why folks need to have homeowners or renter's insurance to cover their property.

OK, I've got my flack jacket on now, let the flames begin.

rad said:
I hate to say it but I agree with E* on this one. What if it's a leased car that's totaled during a tornado, do you expect GMAC or whatever to eat the lease as 'good will'? I don't even see why E*'s extended coverage should have to cover this, it's not a failure of E* hardware but an act of god. This is why folks need to have homeowners or renter's insurance to cover their property.

I gotta say, it pains me ... but I so agree with you !!

Sorry folks. I guess their tv manufacturer should toss in a free tv replacement. And their furniture maker. Let's see, how about the refrigerator, washer and dryer, etc. etc. etc.

Anyone living in tornado-land (or anywhere where NATURE actually happens) who doesn't have homeowner's insurance to cover property losses, should consider their PRIORITIES. Give up the Dish service and pay for insurance to cover the things you have.

rad said:

I am not a flamer, but I bet more than half of the homeowners insurance won't cover this. Auto insurance covers a car, but homeowners won't cover a car in your garage if you don't have auto insurance on it....

I own all my equipment and don't expect dish to do anything if my house blows up or drops into a sinkhole or alien take my dish (sorry, but that is how ridiculous some of you sound with the furniture, cars, appliances examples). But because I own, it my homeowners insurance convers it. If I lease something however, it doesn't cover it. Also some dealers carry supplemental insurance on lease vehicles (which you pay for in lease payments) to cover what insurance comapnies won't.

I have also had Dish cover my receiver once when it got shorted out by my OWN carelessness. I called them to tell them I fried my receiver and needed to cancel the service on it and would be replacing it. They said "Oh well since it is a rare thing, we can send you a new one, just pay shipping". Granted it was just a 301 receiver, but still, because of that I was a happy customer and they more than recouped that $100 with my subcription fees.

Anyways, like I said, I bet a bunch of people will still get charged monthly service or early termination fees and who knows how many will get harrassed cause the phones aren't working and their receivers can't dial out.

Lack of compassion? Just because we won't jump on the bandwagon and blame Dish for following normal business practices? If this happened to me, you bet I wouldn't be happy about having to pay for lost E* equipment. But I guarantee I would be a heck of a lot LESS happy about losing my house. And I wouldn't go to the newspaper and complain about what I had agreed to in writing. But I would be angry if someone turned my plight into a pro-cable campaign.

While any freebies or specials offered by businesses during our tornado aftermath were certainly appreciated, the true heroes who shone (as in any disaster) were the volunteers, off duty policemen, firemen, etc. who helped with the cleanup and relocating, co-workers who opened their already too small homes to allow other families to stay for a few nights. These are the compassionate ones, not the cable co or sat company who may forgive a replacement charge. I'm not denigrating the cable company's actions, just trying to place them into perspective.

Does the $5.99 extended warranty cover loss from ANY cause, including user negligence and natural disasters? Or is it just against materials and workmanship? Adelphia cable, in spite of all their other faults, will replace a non-working box no questions asked at no charge as long as I am a customer.

JBKing, I understand where you stand and don't consider you heartless just very objective where this is a subjective case. All I am bascially saying is Dish is handling this poorly and it is a PR disaster for them since the cable company is doing alot for them.

-Dish needs to void all contracts with affected parties and forgive the fees.
-If they want to continue service, buy new receivers (but Dish should offer at least basic replacements as a good PR move).
-If people want to continue dish service, just suspend the account and then reactivate later, if they are under contract, don't count the suspended months as part of the term of the contract.

You comment on business as usual is correct, but I think Dish is losing out big time on making things easier for these people. Yes, I also agree that if it happened to me, I would be more concerned about ALOT of things before TV, but FINANCES would be important and dish charging these fees affects finances.

Dish seems to be sometimes even overly generous in RMAing receivers - at least that's been my experience and what I see from other postings. Sometimes they should be paying more attention as to what is really wrong with the box.

But that's nothing to do with this thread.

I think Dish should at least suspend charges and contracts until things get sorted out.

That's the obvious immediate thing to do. Then, once the victim is settled and wants to be back online, see what's what regarding insurance replacements, etc. THEN, and only then, start their contract committment time back up.

You do it once, and it becomes a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? How do you justify when you do and when you don't. How do you validate the claims? How do you weed out the unavoidable fraud that is likely to take place? I suspect there are a few lurking here that would claim their box was destroyed by a storm if it got them out of their contract.

I would rather they run a profitable business and leave the charity work to someone else. Let's face it... we are talking about something that to most of the world would be considered a petty luxury item. It's hard to be compassionate about someone loosing something when the subscription price on the service could feed children in starving contries.

Personally, if I leased equipment to you, and it was damaged or lost while in your possession, regardless of who's fault it was, I would expect you to be financially responsible.

If someone's car got damages or totaled by a tornado then that is property in which the automobile companies do not make a monthly profit off of during the long-term as they do off of tv service where a receiver is used to get the signal.

Some consumers may take a look at what the cable company is doing for their customers and wondering why Dish is not doing the same thing and making Dish look really bad as a result. The cable company could have even take advantage of the situation to make satellite look bad and also knew that by charging their customerse for the hardware that they would have lost more in the long run that most of them would never sign up with service with them ever again.

Exactly. Dish needs to look at the residual effect here. Ok, so they eat a few hundred per subscriber, but they get back a lot more from good PR and the consistent subscriptions of the happy customers. To me, it is pretty obvious what the good business decision is.

I do not think Dish is reluctant to do so because of all the money they have in getting the customer in the first place as it would be an additionial cost to keep the customer or many years before they would break even on what the hardware would cost plus the agreement to keep the programming for a specific time if there is one of those as well.

Stargazer said:
I do not think Dish is reluctant to do so because of all the money they have in getting the customer in the first place as it would be an additionial cost to keep the customer or many years before they would break even on what the hardware would cost plus the agreement to keep the programming for a specific time if there is one of those as well.

I am not following this. I am not trying to be mean, but that is ONE LONG SENTENCE. Some punctuation is needed.

"I do not think Dish is reluctant to do so because of all the money they have in getting the customer in the first place as it would be an additionial cost to keep the customer or many years before they would break even on what the hardware would cost plus the agreement to keep the programming for a specific time if there is one of those as well."

Try this-

[ I do not think Dish is reluctant to do so because of all the money they have invested in getting the customer in the first place. They would need to keep the customer for many years before they would break even on what the hardware costs. Plus, they would need an agreement to keep the programming for the specified time. ]

...This is what I think he means
Not saying I agree or disagree, just applying my professional skills as an editor. :)

The place to buy Dish (or any other) satellite equipment is E-bay. Leasing is for people who are VERY slow learners. It's YOUR money. Spend it wisely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts