Dish is ultra aggressive to keep customers

Due to loss of income caused by my retirement, I was going to drop Dish in favor of a cheaper local phone company package. Retention gave me $45 off per month for 10 months, which kept it even with the phone company price-wise. When I asked what would happen at the end of the 10 month period, the retention CSR said, "We will be happy to work with you when that time comes." We have been Dish customers since 1998. Glad to see they would rather deal than lose subscribers.

$50 off for a year is a good deal? Really? Saving less than $5/month? The value for Center Ice might be $100 for some, but it would be $0 to me. I really don't care about hockey. The free premiums are worth something, but this "aggressive" ploy wouldn't sway me if I couldn't afford what I'm paying.

you're kidding right? of course it's not $5 a month, I get $50 off per month. $40 credit and a $10 credit for 12 months making Dish America free.

Reactions: old corps
I could be wrong but I assume that is $50 off per month because on post 4 he states "I am mostly shocked at $50 off due to the fact I have Dish America which is essentially free now. I am only paying for DVR and taxes." and Dish America is $49.99/month.

you're kidding right? of course it's not $5 a month, I get $50 off per month. $40 credit and a $10 credit for 12 months making Dish America free.
I had assumed that until I read this post:
Retentions has given me the following

$50 credit for 12 months
Free Cinemax for 6 months, Starz for 3 months, HBO for one month
Free NHL center ice

I am out of contract

Did you call or chat?
Then I started doubting.

I'm a customer since 2003 and out of contract since 2005. I own a 722 and lease another 622. Always paid on time. But I just downgraded from AT250 to AT200. I'm curious about how much this would help in an upcoming event to upgrade to the new H3/Joey...

It never hurts to ask for what you want. They know that you have been a long time customer and have not been under contract. I would call up and tell them that you would like an offer similar to what new customers are getting. Tell them you want the Hopper 3 for free and want the tech visit fee waived. Also tell them you want a monthly discount on your bill or you are leaving for DirecTV.

Reactions: ralfyguy
It never hurts to ask for what you want. They know that you have been a long time customer and have not been under contract. I would call up and tell them that you would like an offer similar to what new customers are getting. Tell them you want the Hopper 3 for free and want the tech visit fee waived. Also tell them you want a monthly discount on your bill or you are leaving for DirecTV.
Well, I don't necessarily want to ask for all that plus a discount on my monthly bill, but to expect a free upgrade and no install fee would be not too much to ask for if that's what a new subscriber would get, considering my past as a long term customer. Maybe some people might disagree and think I'm a freeloader, but I see it different.

Well, I don't necessarily want to ask for all that plus a discount on my monthly bill, but to expect a free upgrade and no install fee would be not too much to ask for if that's what a new subscriber would get, considering my past as a long term customer. Maybe some people might disagree and think I'm a freeloader, but I see it different.

I see no problem with it if you've been a long time customer that's on auto pay. It's the people who demand a discount as soon as they are out of their first contract that bother me.

My biggest fear in talking to retention to try to get a deal is they would call my bluff and deactivate my account and I would lose all my recordings and EHD content.

My biggest fear in talking to retention to try to get a deal is they would call my bluff and deactivate my account and I would lose all my recordings and EHD content.
I highly doubt they would flip the switch like that unless clearly say you want to.

Reactions: navychop

Just because they cancel your account doesn't mean that they can't start it up again. I have a friend who threatened to leave and they called his bluff. He thought he was screwed but the next day someone else from retention called and gave him an amazing offer and activated the equipment again.

If one truly wants the service turned off without a long discussion, what would be the best story to tell them? I have moved into an apartment with no line of sight? I am selling everything and going on the road? I am in France?

If one truly wants the service turned off without a long discussion, what would be the best story to tell them? I have moved into an apartment with no line of sight? I am selling everything and going on the road? I am in France?
(Competitor) is already installed and working fine and I'm under contract.

Just because they cancel your account doesn't mean that they can't start it up again. I have a friend who threatened to leave and they called his bluff. He thought he was screwed but the next day someone else from retention called and gave him an amazing offer and activated the equipment again.
Same account number? The EHDs worked and previous content was viewable?

Same account number? The EHDs worked and previous content was viewable?
In that description, it should work just fine with the same account number. A new account number is not issued until 60 days after cancellation with a $0 balance.

I had assumed that until I read this post:

Then I started doubting.

Don't doubt, I have no reason to lie to you. I received $600 off total for 12 months, free NHL, free HBO, Cinemax, Starz and it appears showtime and tmc is on too. I only have Dish America.

Holysmoke you inspired me to do something with my own account, Thanks.

It took 2 calls and I didn't quite get the discounts you did but am satisfied.

Bumped package up to the top 200

$40 off for 10 months

Hbo & max free for 1 yr

Starz and dish movie pack free for 90 days

Still have the showtime promo 1/2 off for 6 months

No contract either

Tried to get the autopay discount for $10 but it's only for new customers.

Reactions: old corps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts