Dish Joey Wifi

Dustin Fette

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
az
I tried googling this but nothing came up. Today I learned that you can run Joeys over wifi without using coax. I tried it and so far its working great. So my question is has anyone tried this? I read a bunch of stuff about people doing it over cat5 and cat6 but nothing came up with wifi. I was told not to do it because it slows down your router. When I first started just using the wifi the Joey was very slow but then it started acting normal. I haven't noticed any difference in my internet speed either.

As a technician this is really amazing. I don't plan to do every job like this but for some jobs this will be a life saver.

I tried googling this but nothing came up. Today I learned that you can run Joeys over wifi without using coax. I tried it and so far its working great. So my question is has anyone tried this? I read a bunch of stuff about people doing it over cat5 and cat6 but nothing came up with wifi. I was told not to do it because it slows down your router. When I first started just using the wifi the Joey was very slow but then it started acting normal. I haven't noticed any difference in my internet speed either.

As a technician this is really amazing. I don't plan to do every job like this but for some jobs this will be a life saver.

As a technician you should really join the installer zone, lost of info in there, as well as a place to let off steam that wont offend customers.

So the $64,000 question is will Dish make it quit working in the future? :)

I happened to look on our work tablet and found a link to a survey that asked "if the Joey was wirelass would this change the placement of the Joey?" Or some other wording to that effect. So I am assuming that it is being tested in other locations other than mine. I think that Dish is researching this ability and you will probably see some kind of proceedire and standard requirement tomake wireless Joey's a reality.

I happened to look on our work tablet and found a link to a survey that asked "if the Joey was wirelass would this change the placement of the Joey?" Or some other wording to that effect. So I am assuming that it is being tested in other locations other than mine. I think that Dish is researching this ability and you will probably see some kind of proceedire and standard requirement tomake wireless Joey's a reality.

Thanks for that info. I've been hesitant to install any wireless Joeys in customer's houses out of fear that one day we'd wake up and they wouldn't work any more.

I used to be an installer and I have 1 hopper 3 joeys. One Joey wired. The other two wifi only and to this day I have not had one single issue on ANY of mine.

I installed some customers wireless joeys too to save time on line runs or picky customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)