Dish lied to me need help.

I completely agree with you. Tomorrow I'm calling in again for one more try then if the indian speaking csr tries to screw me I will just ask to cancel. It's their loss because I'm more than willing to continue my sub for many years. It's not like it's the only choice I have for tv. OTA and FTA have been great and now that D* has all the HD its an easy decision. ;)

I think the point is why should a customer have to chase down this thing over and over again with one clueless and could-care less CSR after another. Or then have to email the CEo's office. Dish has shown by their actions that they don't want nor cherish his business. So piss on 'em. Pay the $26 bucks and go on with your life.
I'm really beginning to think that what many of us need to do is go back to the 1950's, put up at OTA and tell E*,D* and cable to get bent. Maybe if enough of us do this, they'll finally wake up from their customer cash induced gorging and start to realize that THEY need us more than WE need them. (And i know that this will never happen either :( )

I completely agree with you. Tomorrow I'm calling in again for one more try then if the indian speaking csr tries to screw me I will just ask to cancel. It's their loss because I'm more than willing to continue my sub for many years. It's not like it's the only choice I have for tv. OTA and FTA have been great and now that D* has all the HD its an easy decision. ;)

Speaking of Indian CSRs, is there a time to call when you are more likely to get a US based CSR? I usually call and then hang up and call again until I get someone in the US, and if I an not successful, I just do the online chat and hope they don't tell me I need to call.:D

It seems when I have called during the week days 8-5 I always get a US based csr but when I call after hours or on the weekend I have been getting india...however I don't call in that much that's just what I have seen.

Speaking of Indian CSRs, is there a time to call when you are more likely to get a US based CSR? I usually call and then hang up and call again until I get someone in the US, and if I an not successful, I just do the online chat and hope they don't tell me I need to call.:D

That's not true in every state, so you need to check your state's laws on this. In Washington, it is a felony to record a conversation unless both parties are made aware of it at the beginning, and the announcement that the conversation is being recorded is part of the recording.

Well, I wanted to look it up so there wasn't any confusion and here is the list. The majority of the states are "one party consent" which means as long as you are a party to the conversation you can record it, but there are a handful of 2 party consent states so beware:

States Requiring Two-Party Notification
California
Connecticut
Florida
Illinois
Montana
Michigan
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Nevada
Pennsylvania
Washington

States Requiring One-Party Notification
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
District Of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Texas
Utah
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wisconsin

When the CSR put notes in the computer and does not save as permanent then they may disappear from the system all together. When the next CSR looks at the note, They aint there.

interesting. thanks for the post. called back tonight and talked to a rather rude indian speaking guy. he told me the other person should not have said they could waive the contract and two wrongs didn't make a right so he couldn't help. I went ahead and just canceled my sub. the cancellations department told me they couldn't suspend my contract but they did say they could allow me to just have locals for two months. I told them to piss off and they were shady. I recorded the conversation this time. :) now waiting for my boxes. I did get the shipping address so when my boxes never come I can just send them back. ;) Of course they wanted the lnb but since we sold our house I'm not going to climb on the roof of someone elses house. she said they waived the fee on that so we will see. I got everything on tape so if they try to screw me I got proof this time. so sad to see things have gone down hill. I really like dish but I'm not giving them money because I don't like how they treated me. ya it's no big deal but just pissed me off enough.

When the CSR put notes in the computer and does not save as permanent then they may disappear from the system all together. When the next CSR looks at the note, They aint there.

That's not true in every state, so you need to check your state's laws on this. In Washington, it is a felony to record a conversation unless both parties are made aware of it at the beginning, and the announcement that the conversation is being recorded is part of the recording.

A you sure it's a FELONY? That doesn't meet the common sense test. Can you cite the statute? I'd like to read that.

A you sure it's a FELONY? That doesn't meet the common sense test. Can you cite the statute? I'd like to read that.

Actually it does meet the common sense test. Recording a phone converstion is considered a huge invasion of privacy in my state of Illiinois. But being a police officer in Illinois I guess I may be biased also. Having lived in Illinois all my life, I find it amazing that most people in other states don't have to have a license (In Illinois its called a Firearms Owners Identification card) to own or operate a firearm. I guess its all about where you were raised...

This is way off topic, but it is absurd to me that you would have to have a license to own a firearm based on what this country was founded on. That being said, I have a concealed carry permit (meaning I can carry a gun almost anywhere as long as it is concealed). And I believe whole heartedly that a permit should be required for this. In fact I wish it was a little harder to get (some states have a shooting test that you have to pass, GA does not).

Well, I wanted to look it up so there wasn't any confusion and here is the list. The majority of the states are "one party consent" which means as long as you are a party to the conversation you can record it, but there are a handful of 2 party consent states so beware:

States Requiring Two-Party Notification
Maryland

States Requiring One-Party Notification
Reminds me of that gal in Maryland who recorded Monica without Monica's (or Bill's) consent.:D

Actually it does meet the common sense test. Recording a phone converstion is considered a huge invasion of privacy in my state of Illiinois. But being a police officer in Illinois I guess I may be biased also. Having lived in Illinois all my life, I find it amazing that most people in other states don't have to have a license (In Illinois its called a Firearms Owners Identification card) to own or operate a firearm. I guess its all about where you were raised...

I'm also a police officer, and it seems bizarre that recording a conversation with, say, a Dish CSR, would be a felony, meaning that it would be a more serious crime than possession of marijuana, drunk driving, or punching somebody in the face.

Here in Indiana it's legal to record a conversation without the other person's consent or knowledge. I mean, anytime you have a conversation with another person you run the risk of them disclosing the substance of the conversation to another person. It's just an inherent risk. If you don't trust the person and you're afraid that they may repeat or record what you're saying, then you'd be wise to watch what you say to them. Common sense.

You either put the notes in or you dont, the system doesnt have a soft save button it so once the notes are typed in you hit enter on the screen and then they'r in there ( had access when I was helping out office staff on an out of market hurricane trip ).

Generaly if the next csr doesnt see your notes then its because the previous one was not typing the notes in.

Six to eight months later... That's the time period for a non-permanant note to pass through the account processing cycle. There's no excuse for disappearing notes the first six months except failing to enter them. Although with customer's demanding "note this, note that" I wouldn't to begin with. Perks of the job.

Six to eight months later... That's the time period for a non-permanant note to pass through the account processing cycle. There's no excuse for disappearing notes the first six months except failing to enter them. Although with customer's demanding "note this, note that" I wouldn't to begin with. Perks of the job.

Zero is correct its very simple to just neglect notes you just dont type done no notes...

Edgar,

Check out the Indiana Code at:

Indiana Code 35-33.5-1

IC 35-33.5-1.5 defines interception of a phone call as someone other than the sender or receiver. Only one party is required to have knowledge of the recording in the State of Indiana.

Hey bsexton,

When I said that you can record a conversation "without the other person's consent or knowledge", I was referring to one-party consent. I was not trying to say that a third party could record a phone call without either person's consent.

That being said, an interesting loophole may exist for cell phones. Note the following clause in regards to radio transmissions that are not scrambled or encrypted:

IC 35-33.5-1-5
"Interception" defined
Sec. 5. "Interception" means the intentional recording or acquisition of the contents of an electronic communication by a person other than a sender or receiver of that communication, without the consent of the sender or receiver, by means of any instrument, device, or equipment under this article. This term includes the intentional recording or acquisition of communication through the use of a computer or a FAX (facsimile transmission) machine. The term does not include recording or acquiring the contents of a radio transmission that is not:
(1) scrambled or encrypted;

I don't know if this is still the case, but in the past cell phone transmissions were not encrypted. Police were able to use a scanner to listen to a drug dealer's cell phone conversations, and the court ruled that since the transmissions were over the air and unencrypted, the callers had no reasonable expectation of privacy, and thus police were able to listen in without a warrant.

A couple of comments to the above side thread.

Earlier, there was a post that showed which states had a one-party and which states had a two-party requirement to be legal without notice.
- However, it did not mention any Federal rules which may apply, especially across state lines.
- Is there still a Federal requirement to use the beeps if you do not request permission to record?
- I suspect the above statue does not cover certain types of signals because those are covered elsewhere, maybe with a heavier penalty.

Cellular Telephone Service:
- I believe a few years ago a Federal law was passed prohibiting the selling of scanners that would receive/intercept (800MHz?) cellular telephone signals;
- As well as a violation of Federal law to (intentionally) intercept cellular telephone signals/calls.

Does anyone need to know how to modify a late model scanner? :D
Is it okay to go and sit between two microwave towers and listen to the gossip or gospel? :D
Is it illegal to listen to the water pipes sing?