Dish Liquidating 25,000 40" HDTV's $699

Actually according to a few magazines I get, 1 out of every 4 TV's being sold by Electronics Retailers are HDTV Ready sets.

Lots of HDTV's out there now, just not a lot of people with HD tuners.

The real interesting part of this story is "Who's brillian idea at Dish was to order 25,000 excess low end HDTVs?"

The whole we are going into the TV business strategy seems really a bad idea. Even their entry into LCD (which is 100x easier to ship) is lame. Already they are overpriced, how long ago did they order these? Perhaps this time next year we will be able to pick up 40" LCDs on closeout from Dish for $1000. Prices are dropping so fast in the HDTV arena combined with feature sets improving so much, that trying to have a product life cycle that Dish can support is impossible.

Dish Network executives need to realize that they are in the SATELLITE TELEVISION BUSINESS, not the Appliance Shop business.

They should stick to what they do best and that is provide customers satellite signals.

The entire television idea is so STUPID that I can't believe they are going to do it again with the LCD TV's

A major problem with these sets is if you order one your local dealer who brings it to your house can not fix it if something goes wrong, so if your TV blows up your not only pissed at Dish Network but your local installer to.

The new LCD televisions are great, they have an amazing picture they are made byd:sign check out their website at http://www.flatisbetter.com/main.html but again I don't think Dish should be selling these, as stelling TV's is not what their business is about. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish Network executives need to realize that they are in the SATELLITE TELEVISION BUSINESS, not the Appliance Shop business.

They should stick to what they do best and that is provide customers satellite signals.

The entire television idea is so STUPID that I can't believe they are going to do it again with the LCD TV's

A major problem with these sets is if you order one your local dealer who brings it to your house can not fix it if something goes wrong, so if your TV blows up your not only pissed at Dish Network but your local installer to.

The new LCD televisions are great, they have an amazing picture they are made byd:sign check out their website at http://www.flatisbetter.com/main.html but again I don't think Dish should be selling these, as stelling TV's is not what their business is about. :)
Hey Scott, tell Dish that you'll sell them on consignment for a commission. They outsource the marketing to you, and everybody wins. :)

charper1 said:
If I am buying any A/V and HD gear it sure wont be from WalMart!
The biggest problems with buying this kind of gear from Wal-Mart are:
* Limited selection
* No delivery or setup offered
Other than that, it's hard to beat them on price. To their credit, they are carrying more Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic gear than in the past. Granted, they sell some stuff you might classify as junk, but then, so do Circuit City, Best Buy, Fry's and other retailers.
As to the closeout 40" RP sets, it's my understanding that they are relabeled GE receivers, not RCA. A small point, but GE is Thomson's entry level line, just as Magnavox is Philips' entry level line. In both cases, not up to the quality level of their mainstream products. ;)

I have had an issue with Wal-Mart's electronics and would rather not buy them from there but when they are the only guy in town within 50 miles (100 miles to get there and back) that narrows down your choices that you have without having to drive who knows how far. Wal-Mart put the small guys out of business here. I talked to one guy that went bankrupt because of them.

GE and RCA are the same thing, they are both a Thompson company product. I notice the exact same look in the remote, look in the television, and same displays within the television on the GE and RCA models.

If it were me and I was going to purchase a major Home theater device like a 50-60" HDTV, I would drive 100+ miles and check it out after doing an online comparison, then rent a U-HAUL or borrow a flatbed trailer to go get it. Of course delivery and set-up would be awsome, but if it were not an option.... Then I haul-it.

If you are investing THAT much money, then 50 or 60 dollars more would give me piece of mind that I got what I wanted.

I'd be looking for the free delivery offers that I seen lately. This is different than buying one of the smaller sized televisions that I could put in the backseat of the car and I dont own a truck that I could put the big screen in. I could just go with a projector in which I thought about buying anyways since they are so much easier to move around but the bulb life is not that great and very expensive to replace.

Stargazer said:
I have had an issue with Wal-Mart's electronics and would rather not buy them from there but when they are the only guy in town within 50 miles (100 miles to get there and back) that narrows down your choices that you have without having to drive who knows how far. Wal-Mart put the small guys out of business here. I talked to one guy that went bankrupt because of them.

GE and RCA are the same thing, they are both a Thompson company product. I notice the exact same look in the remote, look in the television, and same displays within the television on the GE and RCA models.

You live in a part of the country where it makes a lot of sense for Dish to have low-cost all inclusive HD offerings for its consumers. Rural America isn't typically looking for the highest end luxury gear available as the satellite forums typically pay tribute to every day. Considering how Dish appeals to a lot of subscribers primarily looking for the most inexpensive tv package available, I can see why Dish would have offerings like this. People tend to like all-in-one easy and inexpensive solutions. Its reason one why networks like QVC can sell thousands and thousands of products like they do. I bet Dish will sell a lot of these sets primarily on price alone.

BFG said:
woah steve, the 40" TV is not a DLP, no no no!!! ;)

It's a CRT RPTV

I had gone down to my local DISH retailer, when the $1000 811 combo was running. I had wanted to see the 34" vs. 40" to compare. He didn't have the 34" model. He said that he had ordered one, but people were choosing the 40" because it was a DLP with much better quality, so when he sold the 34" model off the floor, he didn't bother to replace it. He directed me to the 40' model on the floor. It sure looked like a DLP. It appeared to be too shallow to be a CRT RPTV. I could be wrong, but it was the dealer who described it as a DLP.

Grr.. now I have to decide... new laptop or a new HDTV.....

I think I'll wait till Dish gets desperate to move them.

peid said:
Plain and simple, it is NOT a DLP.

Here is the link from Dishnetwork.com

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/index.shtml

OK, so I followed the link and it just states that the 40" model is a Rear Projection set. It does not differentiate whether the 40" RPTV is CRT based or DLP. A DLP set IS a Rear Projection design, by default. It does seem rather shallow to be a CRT design.

I'm not trying to be pig-headed here. Just trying to clearly understand the specs. Does anyone know which RCA set Dish oem'd, or where there might be a technical spec sheet on this set that indicates which rear projection design is used? Thanks.

this is an okay set....if I were recommending a low end unit Id say shop for a 47" panny crt RPTV for 999. But then thats just me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)