Dish Liquidating 25,000 40" HDTV's $699

Eitherway it's still a decent price for newbies to get in to HDTV with (provided shipping isn't too extravagant). I think I would go with the 32 b/c from some other posts it gets slightly better reviews. Good hunting on your TV!

Stever1 said:
A DLP set IS a Rear Projection design, by default. It does seem rather shallow to be a CRT design.
Dimensions
40 (Diagonal)
Approx. 38.125W x
43.75H x 22.25D

22.25" is not shallow for a 40" projection. Most 50" DLPs are about 14-16" deep.

I have the 40" model and a 51' Mitsubishi. I'm sorry, but the RCA/Dish picture is much better than my Mitsu. I have an 811 and a 921 on them and have switched them back and forth, I even hooked my cable line (when I was transitioning) to both and the dish model by far had a better pic. Just my two cents, your results may vary.

How do these sets compare to the RCA Scenium. I realize that the DISh unit is a CRT RPTV, and the Scenium is a DLP, but for the price, it is tempting. Has anyone seen the Sceniums. I've enclosed a link, below, as well as a link to their Firewire HD-PVR, which looks intriguing. Perhaps a viable, and non-proprietary (at least not as far as a provider is concerned) alternative to a 921/942??

The new Scenium DLP's have an HDMI connector and 2 Firewire ports. They also sell an HD-PVR that connects to the Firewire port. I understand that you can feed the set through the HDMI connector and the set will output HD through the Firewire port to the HD-PVR. BTW, the set also has a high-speed Ethernet (NetConnect) port and a built in browser (IE, running on Windows CE).

Here's a link to the DLP set with Firewire "DTVLink" (Scenium model# HD44LPW165). This one is 44", and there's also a 50" and 61" model. It has a Digital Cable Ready tuner (with CableCard slot), as well as OTA (ATSC) tuner:
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdeta...700294,00.html?

Here's the link to the HD-DVR (Scenium model# DVR-10): http://www.rca.com/product/viewdeta...700335,00.html?

Soooo, would this be an alternative to a 921, or 942 for that matter. Seems like it might be the best of all worlds. It wouldn't matter where you're getting your HD content, OTA, CableCard, Dish, Voom, DirecTV, etc., you wouldn't need a specific content provider's proprietary DVR with this combo, would you? Or am I missing something? The promo material for the DVR (see 2nd link) lists this as a selling feature (i.e. the TV outputs HD content being sent to it, out to the DVR via DTVLink to be recorded for future viewing). Has anyone seen, or tried this hardware, and does it work as advertised? I would consider this as a viable alternative to getting locked into any one media vendor's hardware.

SatinKzo said:
I have the 40" model and a 51' Mitsubishi. I'm sorry, but the RCA/Dish picture is much better than my Mitsu. I have an 811 and a 921 on them and have switched them back and forth, I even hooked my cable line (when I was transitioning) to both and the dish model by far had a better pic. Just my two cents, your results may vary.
If you have a 51" Mitsubish the it is either a SD TV or one of those stop-gap 4x3 HDTV's which use substandard components. If it is indeed a 4x3 HDTV then you must have some seriously bad problems with it if it looks worse then the RCA HDTV!

Don't know about the 34" model, but I was told the 40" projection will only work with the "Dishnet IRD's, (ie: DishDVI), this for HDTV reception. Anyone else heard this? Or is someone giving bad info. I was going to get one before I heard this, now I am not sure if I want to be restricted to Dishnetwork for HDTV if I get their monitor.

$699 compatibility issues?

Don't know about the 34" model, but I was told the 40" projection will only work with the "Dishnet IRD's, (ie: DishDVI), this for HDTV reception. Anyone else heard this? Or is someone giving bad info. I was going to get one before I heard this, now I am not sure if I want to be restricted to Dishnetwork for HDTV if I get their monitor. :no

The back of it has tons of inputs. It needs a tuner box and that could be any tuner box. Someone may have heard it needs a box to work and went that way. Boxes start at around $200 and go up. If it is an IRD for DISH or one for Directv, it'll be up.

Early on, Dish was saying that the DVI port would be programmed to only work with a Dish STB (component would be ok for any HD).

Reports are this plan was scrapped and the set should be fine with any compatible hardware.

I'm pretty sure that the DVI port supports HDCP.

I have the 34" monitor. I use the DVI port on mine for my cable HD box (from comcast) and one of the components for the 811 with no problems. I have tried it both ways with no problems at all.

Yes, the DVI Port works fine with any DVI component. I have even hooked one of the 34" DISH TV's up to a computer's DVI-out. Worked great as a second monitor.

$799 including shipping is not too bad considering what the RCA model sells for. We have gotten several of the 34's in, but are only selling them locally. We won't ship them because they are H E A V Y. You better have a good back and a strong helper if you move one.

DVI Compatibility

Mainstreet said:
Yes, the DVI Port works fine with any DVI component. I have even hooked one of the 34" DISH TV's up to a computer's DVI-out. Worked great as a second monitor.

$799 including shipping is not too bad considering what the RCA model sells for. We have gotten several of the 34's in, but are only selling them locally. We won't ship them because they are H E A V Y. You better have a good back and a strong helper if you move one.
Thanks for the info Guy's, I did order one thru My company, retailer discount made the 40" $600, free freight + tax. For $636 I don't see how I could have went wrong for a High Def Monitor.

Got it setup, 40"

Hey this is not a bad unit at all, bright clear pic. One issue, NO REMOTE, these were made to sell with a Dish HD STB, the remote supplied with the STB, (from dish) will control it. However if You get one I found out the newer remotes from dish will work, use code 7-4-2. The remote must be one that has the 3.1 IR on the back, #123271 or newer. The older blue button remotes don't work, but the newer blue button remotes do. For the money I'm happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)