Dish LIVE Retailer Chat Recap - December 20, 2006

You know what pisses me off?

They ask (beg) us to help them save their asses with this DNS fiasco, and then they turn around and ram us up the ass......

It's just total BS!!!!!!!!

I agree. If I am going to get rammed up the ass at least I would like to be watching my RSN in HD......doesnt sound like their was any discussion on when they would be available was there ?

Man, I was used to the $1 or $2 increase per year for AT150/AT180 back 3 years ago but this $3/yr. increase (2006 and 2007) is getting ridiculous!

I mean, if you want to differentiate yourself from cable companies, increase the fee by a buck or two, but not 3! Charge extra for the HD RSN's if you have to, but don't make everyone pay a $3 increase per month! I can't think of any contract signings recently to make AT120/AT180 go up in price other than NFL Network (which is on AT60 and above and not just at AT120 and above), Lifetime Networks, CSTV, and ESPN U. Are they worth that much or are we subsidizing the cost of launching HD RSN's that are coming soon?

Comcast in my area are running good specials all year around with DirecTV not announcing any price increases yet. Plus what I like about DirecTV policy is that when they announce year-around savings, they normally grandfather the current rates during that (in this case, year-long) promo even if the sub subscribed the day before the rates are announced to go up!

I'd gladly give up the new CD channels to not raise my bill by that much.

On the FIOS front, their base package is going up $3 from $39.99 to $42.99/month. Those in 12-month contracts will not see the price increase though as long as they don't change equipment or packages they subscribe to, it's only for new subs, effective Jan 15th I recall.

sadly i down own a hd tv or receiver but i do have the aep and am quite surprised over the $5 increase. It kinda sux that were not getting anything extra that were getting now BUT i am glad they didnt mention any removal of cinemax which is good but also might be the reason for that $1 increase. I wonder when dish's site will once again show cinemax available.

I am billed $125.60

Dish HD Platinum with locals for the guide data (required) 104.99
Lease receiver fee for the 622 6.00

Total 110.99

Tax- 14.61

Total- 125.60

I have a 921 (own) and a 622 (lease).

I can't figure out what I am paying extra for the 921 but if I drop it will I save anything?

From all the confused posts here I figure I have to go to :

AEP at $89.99
HD Pack 20.00
Lease fee 6.00
Total: 115.99

This is exactly $5 increase plus tax or $131.80

If I drop the 921 and it's DVR fee is $5.00 included in the price above (wasn't listed on my bill) then I might just continue with my current bill.

I don't think Dish Pricing is simple at all. It appears more like it was designed and modified each year by people who were fired from Congress that wrote the IRS tax code.

Bottom line is I like Dish now much better than DirecTV. But with D* raising their rates, I may just have to kill the D* sub altogether unless I can negotiate a HD pack only on the TIVO. Considering the arrogance of D* CSR's I doubt that will happen again. TIVO and D* may be history! That will save me $65 per month.

Whart else must go for 2007??? How about XM sat radio? I suffered one rate increase in 2006 and then had to switch to Sirius due to technical reasons. XM is only $7.95 now for internet.

The point is, I have a nice budget for all this entertainment. I don't plan to increase it for 2007. So, as they raise rates, it will cost them my entire bill and a customer. I will make this choice by the popularity of what I use.
Most of my entertainment time in the HT is watching DVD's rented from BlockBuster at $25 a month for as many DVD's as I can watch per month on movie pass. This is the best bargain I have.

Second is Dish Network. May scale it back by dropping the 921.
Third is DirecTV. With the 622 and DishNets huge HD lineup, I could drop the D* /Tivo service altogether and not miss it. But only if D* will be a**holes about the sub service I get. I'm sure I will be going the bout with their retention dept since I have been a D* customer since- the beginning of DBS!

Time to tighten the belt and downsize, to sub to just what I use and drop the frills, the backups. Use the saved money for upgrading the hardware! I want DD6.1 and 1080P FP.

My Thoughts

You would think they would secure their encryption and then raise prices. The cart before the horse if you ask me.

I would like to know what the breaking point is on these increases. I wonder what Dish would do if a significant percentage of their AEP subs. downgraded to AT120 ? That would send a message I think.

I just did exactly that. I was already paying $122/month for Platinum+locals (including all the fees, etc.) and there is no way I'm sticking around for $130+/month.

CDH.

I'm a little confused by all of this, in regards to those of us who have not upgraded yet.

Currently I'm AT180 + HD Pak (original flavor). Any word on how this is going to affect those of us who did not go "metal?" Or are they going to give me a free 211 in exchange for an extra $13.00 per month? :D

I am billed $125.60

Dish HD Platinum with locals for the guide data (required) 104.99
Lease receiver fee for the 622 6.00

Total 110.99

Tax- 14.61

Total- 125.60

I have a 921 (own) and a 622 (lease).

I can't figure out what I am paying extra for the 921 but if I drop it will I save anything?

From all the confused posts here I figure I have to go to :

AEP at $89.99
HD Pack 20.00
Lease fee 6.00
Total: 115.99

This is exactly $5 increase plus tax or $131.80

In your 'new' calculations, you're missing the charge for locals.. so your increase is exactly $10 plus tax. :(

I'm in the same situation.. HD Platinum + Locals with 622 and 211. $10/month increase for me it seems. I suppose if I drop to the equivalent of HD Gold and add on a DVR fee with NO premiums, I will save some bucks.. and I may have to consider that. But I would still like to keep AEP+HD with only a $5/month increase. I feel we should still get the $5/month savings for the HD package.

So much for the 'get more and save more' mentality at Dish..

IT has been replaced with" BUY MORE OR MORE FEES"- Either way you will pay to keep Dishnetwork. The low thrift leader has been done away with by the bean counters at Dish who think up all these Cable like fees. IF Dish ever again calls cable the "pig" I hope that CAble sues the sh*t out of them.

Damn, so since we lease our 211, we have no choice but to keep the HD package?

I lease my 211 and just cancelled the HD package with no problems. I get hit with a $6.00 HD enabling fee so I'm saving $14.00 but for $6.00 I get my HD locals and HBOHD and StarzHD since I got both packages.

If dish is trying to make simple packages with the $20 HD package and so on . . .

Why dont they just have One DVR fee per house like Direct TV? Make it $6 for all the DVRs you have.

That would make me happy.

Second is Dish Network. May scale it back by dropping the 921.

Based on the numbers you posted, I really don't think dropping the 921 will change your bill at all. :( They now consider your 622 to be your 'second' receiver, and you pay the LEASE fee of $6 - that TAKES THE PLACE of a typical extra receiver fee. If you drop the 921, you won't save an extra receiver fee, but will still pay the $6 lease fee on the 622. You don't even save any DVR fees as they are already waived with your Platinum pak.

"...they turn around and ram us up the......"

You must get rammed a lot. Every time you pull up to the gas pump. If you rent, it must be interesting when your landlord comes around with a rent increase. etc etc.

Their costs go up, so their prices go up.

As a customer of D* & E* HD I couldn't be happier with DISH and if they increase their monthly charges maybe some of their promised additions of extra storage or downloading of HD PPV will be added soon. My main issues are with DirecTV and if and when they will be worth their monthly expense. I would eliminate their lackluster service first to keep DISH due to any price increase.

"...they turn around and ram us up the......"

You must get rammed a lot. Every time you pull up to the gas pump. If you rent, it must be interesting when your landlord comes around with a rent increase. etc etc.

Their costs go up, so their prices go up.

Hey Navy, you can keep being the DISH Apologist if you like, hell you are more than welcome to pay the extra $10 a month this will change my bill. Just PM me.
I'm sure everyone else here would be more than happy to have you pay their new extra charge as well. That, and our exorbitant DVR and lease fees. Oh, but poor Charlie needs a new shiny car.........maybe you can donate that to him, so he won't charge us.

That still doesn't change the fact that DISH is screwing us.

And please give me some facts about what costs are going up for DISH? What did I see new last year that would raise my rates $120 a year?

Your analogies are useless........

I own my home, and my mortgage hasn't gone up, and gas goes up and down. When's the last time DISH rates went down?

And please give me some facts about what costs are going up for DISH? What did I see new last year that would raise my rates $120 a year?
Do you have NFL games including Monday Night Football on ESPN? Thats a major part of the increase just for one channel. Plus they added the NFL Network, another expensive channel, and other channels also riased their pricing as per their contract with Dish.

These increases are passed on to the customers.

Me I never watch ESPN, and actually wish I could turn it OFF, everytime I hear ESPN announce that they just signed a deal with some sports league, I can hear my wallet yelling NO! :)

I expect that most if not all of this increase wil go to pay these increased costs and that we will not see a boost in Echostar earnings because of it.

So You Know

Do you have NFL games including Monday Night Football on ESPN?
Dish is the only provider carrying ESPN? I did not hear the others raising prices. Dish should be ashamed of this move. There is NO justification for this increase. The service is too expensive and over-rated already, and many people are watching EVERYTHING on Dish for free. Dish subscribers are paying for the lost revenue from the pirates....truth be known.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts