dish locals sd -cable hd?

catman60

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
michigan
i have charter cable and dish.my dish locals are sd but i can get my cable locals in hd if i just run the cable to the tv without going through the digital box.i scan and hd chanels come up as 3-1,6-1,10-1.it won't work if i go through the digital box,i imagine because the regular box is sd.i don't have a hd subscription or a hd box so how is it i get the hd"s?

The Dish receiver (612 if I remember you saying you have) only works with over the air channels. What you are getting from charter is Clear QAM which the Dish receivers do not do. Your TV will do QAM

Your TV will PROBABLY do QAM, but not all HD TVs have QAM. Most, not all. I have caught more than one sales person propagating this myth. I bought a TV after arguing with the sales person that not all TVs hav QAM with him insisting they do. He convinced me. After I got the TV home (Samsung), guess what... The model the saleman dumped on me, didn't have QAM. I took the set right back and made the salesperson give me a Toshiba which was stichered at $100 more for the same price in exchange for his error. :)

See ya
Tony

Tony
He says when he hooked the cable to his TV he gets the locals in HD so it sounds like he already tried it and wanted to plug it through the 612 to record possibly?

you get your locals in HD iff the cable because the FCC requires the cabke company to carry locals in the clear.

are you saying i can run cable tv through my 612 and record it ?

no that wont work. The 612 only has a ASTC tuner which is for an OTA antenna. Cable HD is usually QAM which is something different.

Some HDTV's can decode QAM. The Dish receivers cannot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts