Dish Locals vs OTA Locals

brentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Getting a new Vip722 in a few weeks to replace my 508/6000. Been thinking of dropping locals from Dish with the change given all primary rooms in my house now have ATSC equipment built in. With the 722 - I will be able to record network TV from its ATSC tuner - so locals are no longer 'required' for recording.

Question is - is it worth it ($5/month - $60/year) to keep Dish locals solely to feed the channel guild info of the 722? I know its a personal choice - but your opinion would be appreciated.

Any other reasons to keep or drop locals?

Getting a new Vip722 in a few weeks to replace my 508/6000. Been thinking of dropping locals from Dish with the change given all primary rooms in my house now have ATSC equipment built in. With the 722 - I will be able to record network TV from its ATSC tuner - so locals are no longer 'required' for recording.

Question is - is it worth it ($5/month - $60/year) to keep Dish locals solely to feed the channel guild info of the 722? I know its a personal choice - but your opinion would be appreciated.

Any other reasons to keep or drop locals?
Well for one, just wait till you have to set manual timers for OTA with none of the recording options you would normally have . Go with one of the DVR advantage plans where locals are included and less money to boot (about three bucks). Don't short change yourself.

Last edited:
It's worth it.. The channel guide is worth it's weight in gold.. I would be lost trying to manually set timers.. Plus every once in a while my wife wants me to record something on a local channel when something else is recording and using the single OTA tuner that the 622 has.. Sure wish Dish would get the HD LIL's for our area.. (I know I'm dreaming again)

If you sign up for the "DVR Advantage" plan, the net cost for locals is about $2/month. The guide info is extremely usful with the 622 since any "Dish Pass" record timers will be searching for all locals as well as Sat content. Also having locals via Sat you will have the ability to record 2 or 3 network shows at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback - the DVR advantage pack with AT100 nets out to $0.98 savings if I understand it correctly.

Sound like most though believe there is enough added value to keep the locals for the guide info. We'll give it some thought.

Thanks for the feedback - the DVR advantage pack with AT100 nets out to $0.98 savings if I understand it correctly.

Sound like most though believe there is enough added value to keep the locals for the guide info. We'll give it some thought.
Don't know what you were paying before, but you should be at least three dollars ahead. There's no receiver lease or DVR fee.
AND, it's not just for the guide info, but ease of creating timers because of the guide. If you do not have locals, all you will see in the guide for your OTA channels is"Digital Service". And since you won't have Sat locals to reference to, you are pretty much in the dark. It's a no brainer.

He's correct. Since AT100 did not have a price increase in February, it is already $3 "off" the curve of price scale. Going from AT100 to AT100 DVR Advantage nets you only $0.98 savings.

Yes - and before, I had a 508/6000 combo so was fortunate to have a DVR fee free receiver up to now so never a need to look at the DVR advantage pak.

Anyway, we discussed this today and have decided that you are all RIGHT!!!! :) - Amazing!

We didn't consider that we might desire to record one network local while we are watching another. Factor that in with the guide load and we decided to keep our locals.

Thanks all.

Now I need to figure out the UHF remote situation. :)

Only problem is that the locals that DISH provides in Austin are not HD. Don't know if that's the same everywhere, but if it is and you have an HDTV, get an OTA antenna. Mine gives me great quality and I live 20 miles outside of Austin!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)