DISH Loses 135,00 Subs in Second Quarter

Been with Dish over 14 years and I always looked at my options for television programing. The FCC Commission Chairman in 1957 called television a "Vast Wasteland." At the time in North Florida, we got channel 6 in Tallahassee and channel 10 from Albany, Ga, with a 50 foot tall television antenna. Us kids in the house would fight to decide what channel we were going to watch. I think in 1997, Dish offered either America's Top 40 or Top 50. Later the Top 60 and Top 100. At the present time, we have the Dish 260 plus HD package and HBO, Showtime, Starz, and the Platinum HD package. I still can find nothing hardly interesting to watch most of the time. I have 2 DVR's and mostly tape things I might want to watch and play them later and skip the commercials. Many of the crime shows on Discovery Investigation and other are listed as new shows for 2011 and are just recyled and updated shows from the 1980's and 1990's. The repeats of shows like the Sopranos and others and never shown in order of actual broadcast and you are looking at programs that in the next week will not follow what happening now. (For instance, episode 19 will follow weeks later episode 73 that is showing today.) I DVR'd a Law in Order episode from 1998 off Dish that when compared to the actual broadcast is many minutes shorter so they can shove in additional advertisements. I can go wash the dishes and clean the kitchen during a commercial break on some of these channels. I am getting old so I don't need the CI channels shoving previews that last 5 minutes in on a regular scheduled program. I fall asleep and forget what to heck I was watching. I always depended on the Dish for up-to-date news, but the news channels are just bickering back and forth with some know-it -all telling me how to think. I am almost fed up with the sports channels because of all the millionaires playing ball that only think of themselves. I guess I am one of the affluent subscribers that always thinks of cutting the dang thing off. It sort of like what Howard Stern once said: Most of my listeners hate me and disagree with me and only listen to make sure they don't miss something." I think that is the only reason we are going in year 15 with Dish: WEMIGHT MISS SOMETHING!" I do enjoy the Satellite Guys website.

I'll just post the same thing I posted on the other site.
Regardless of your thoughtful analysis of why you think DISH Network is going to fail, the company continues to show a good profit in a lousy market and must not be doing as much wrong as you suggest.

Reasoning that the absence of a major sports component is a problem is clearly ruled out by the marked increase in revenues and profits as compared to competitors that offer MLB EI.

As the chief competitor has been defending themselves for the last several years, losing bad customers is good business.

dish should ask people why they leave

in my case i got tired of them dropping channels, even if it was temporary. get an agreement in place so people dont miss out on things they watch
it just got to the point i couldnt take it anymore, and i was out of contract

Been with Dish over 14 years and I always looked at my options for television programing. The FCC Commission Chairman in 1957 called television a "Vast Wasteland." At the time in North Florida, we got channel 6 in Tallahassee and channel 10 from Albany, Ga, with a 50 foot tall television antenna. Us kids in the house would fight to decide what channel we were going to watch. I think in 1997, Dish offered either America's Top 40 or Top 50. Later the Top 60 and Top 100. At the present time, we have the Dish 260 plus HD package and HBO, Showtime, Starz, and the Platinum HD package. I still can find nothing hardly interesting to watch most of the time. I have 2 DVR's and mostly tape things I might want to watch and play them later and skip the commercials. Many of the crime shows on Discovery Investigation and other are listed as new shows for 2011 and are just recyled and updated shows from the 1980's and 1990's. The repeats of shows like the Sopranos and others and never shown in order of actual broadcast and you are looking at programs that in the next week will not follow what happening now. (For instance, episode 19 will follow weeks later episode 73 that is showing today.) I DVR'd a Law in Order episode from 1998 off Dish that when compared to the actual broadcast is many minutes shorter so they can shove in additional advertisements. I can go wash the dishes and clean the kitchen during a commercial break on some of these channels. I am getting old so I don't need the CI channels shoving previews that last 5 minutes in on a regular scheduled program. I fall asleep and forget what to heck I was watching. I always depended on the Dish for up-to-date news, but the news channels are just bickering back and forth with some know-it -all telling me how to think. I am almost fed up with the sports channels because of all the millionaires playing ball that only think of themselves. I guess I am one of the affluent subscribers that always thinks of cutting the dang thing off. It sort of like what Howard Stern once said: Most of my listeners hate me and disagree with me and only listen to make sure they don't miss something." I think that is the only reason we are going in year 15 with Dish: WEMIGHT MISS SOMETHING!" I do enjoy the Satellite Guys website.

My eyes hurt.

Per the following article:

The satellite-television provider is attempting to attract more affluent customers who are willing to spend more each month on video and less likely cancel their service, a reversal of its prior strategy to sign up lower-end customers, who were hit during the economic downturn.

Dish Network Raises Quarterly Profit, But Loses Customers - FoxBusiness.com

Usually the subs whom spend the most are the sports fans and its kind of hard to attract that kind of clientell when you dont even offer the basic programiming such as Full time HD Rsn's. I see dish having a really hard time getting those subs from Directv.

Regardless of your thoughtful analysis of why you think DISH Network is going to fail, the company continues to show a good profit in a lousy market and must not be doing as much wrong as you suggest.

Reasoning that the absence of a major sports component is a problem is clearly ruled out by the marked increase in revenues and profits as compared to competitors that offer MLB EI.

As the chief competitor has been defending themselves for the last several years, losing bad customers is good business.

The reason why there is an increased revenues and profts is directly related to the fact that dish isnt spending money to bring in new coustomers. Competitors whom do offer sports are spending money an have a coustomer base well beyond dish's. Loosing coustomers is bad buisness not matter what kind of coustomers they are.

Charlie is stupid. Making more money for the company to invest as they have been is stupid. Wanting to attract cusotmers who actually pay especially in the worst economic times since Carter, is just plain stupid.

Here is what he should do based on some of the obviously more smart people who post.
1. Pay Disney double for programming, and get the channels back.
2. Get the NY RSN's for the relatively few who can even watch them, and add that cost to all our packages.
3. Lower your DVR fees, but raise your package prices so that someone who only wants and can afford one DVR will pay more.
4. Raise your cost to be as expensive or more so than Direct TV or Cable.
5. No more disputes with providers, just pay them and pass along the cost.

We have 6 of them.

I think we will drop to 3 when the Sling Receiver comes out. That will give all the rooms full HD and DVR's yet cut out 3 DVR's.
You owe me a new pair of eyeballs as mine just popped out of the sockets.
Charlie is stupid. Making more money for the company to invest as they have been is stupid. Wanting to attract cusotmers who actually pay especially in the worst economic times since Carter, is just plain stupid.
Rates went up and my bill went down. I decided to get a cheaper package. Granted, I only have one DVR, though it is hooked to three TV's.

SaltiDawg said:
Your screen name certainly suggests why you would think that sports programming is what attracts people to satellite.

Your basic premise is that Dish, while hugely profitable, is somehow hurting. Their Quarterly Earnings Statement certainly does not support that premise.

Also, while your world may revolve around sports programming, and certainly sports programming appeals to a certain demographic, the majority of subscribers to either D* or E* would appear not to really much care about the size of their respective sports content.

Obviously you didn't bother to read what I wrote. The issue isn't sports, it is about offering something others don't. Direct doing sports I'd an example.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

With the dvr fees im thinking about leaving dish for direct since i have both and the the rsn games not in hd on their channels or jip if it dont stop im going to leave for direct.charlie has to stop with all the fees or hes going to keep losing customers :)

I am just waiting to make a decision. Its either going to be Dish with the extender / catcher or FIOS when / if they get BBC America HD. Whoever crosses the line first gets my business. The current pricing model for DVR fees is not something I want to pay for. ( I know FIOS has fees, but I will get a ceton card and go WMC. )

Good job dish. I jumped due to the dvr fees. Discounts do not work as you will end in the same place you started.

Get back the old fees and they might see a larger gain vs the loss of customers . :deadhorse: