DISH Loses 135,00 Subs in Second Quarter

6. Get rid of "Dish-Qaeda" aka Audit team.

Charlie is stupid. Making more money for the company to invest as they have been is stupid. Wanting to attract cusotmers who actually pay especially in the worst economic times since Carter, is just plain stupid.

Here is what he should do based on some of the obviously more smart people who post.
1. Pay Disney double for programming, and get the channels back.
2. Get the NY RSN's for the relatively few who can even watch them, and add that cost to all our packages.
3. Lower your DVR fees, but raise your package prices so that someone who only wants and can afford one DVR will pay more.
4. Raise your cost to be as expensive or more so than Direct TV or Cable.
5. No more disputes with providers, just pay them and pass along the cost.

Dish and Directv keep losing more subs to Verizon Fios, In my area Fios has better lineups than dish and directv.

I am just waiting to make a decision. Its either going to be Dish with the extender / catcher or FIOS when / if they get BBC America HD. Whoever crosses the line first gets my business. The current pricing model for DVR fees is not something I want to pay for. ( I know FIOS has fees, but I will get a ceton card and go WMC. )

with direct is free 1st dvr then $6 every receiver after that :)

To bad Fios is only available in very limited areas... if it were available nationwide I am sure a lot more would switch.

Profit would have been down, or flat at best.
No. You need to sharpen your pencil... if you have one. lol

Without BB, profits would have still been well ahead of last year.

I have to assume that you have not invested in either Dish or Echostar - had you done so I suspect that you would not be so quick to jump on the Dsih bash bandwagon. ;)

No. You need to sharpen your pencil... if you have one. lol

Without BB, profits would have still been well ahead of last year.

I have to assume that you have not invested in either Dish or Echostar - had you done so I suspect that you would not be so quick to jump on the Dsih bash bandwagon. ;)

Well since you did the math feel free to share with the class, what exactly is 'well ahead of last year' when the article plainly states revenue would have been $3.35b, instead of $3.59b, with reported income of $335m up from $257m.

Keep on chugging the Kool-Aid though.

SaltiDawg said:
Oh, I read the important stuff. lol :rolleyes:

You read what you wanted to read and interpreted how you wanted to interpret it, which wad not accurate

Let me clarify and simplify. Dish needs to make themselves stand out from the others. Local providers do so by offering bundling and local programming not available with Dish; Direct does so by offering packages, namely sports, not available on Dish or local providers. What does Dish offer that one cannot get from others? That was my point

You saw the word "sports" and assumed my whole point was about sports. My point was about offering something others don't, sports just happens to be ONE of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

We have 6 of them.

I think we will drop to 3 when the Sling Receiver comes out. That will give all the rooms full HD and DVR's yet cut out 3 DVR's.

I changed my 622s to 211ks after the credits ran out to save $$, and use a 922 for my main recording unit. I will wait for the XiPs come out to see if I need to change again. But I agree every TV in the house needs and HD DVR I am running 6 TVs now too.

You read what you wanted to read and interpreted how you wanted to interpret it, which wad not accurate

Let me clarify and simplify. Dish needs to make themselves stand out from the others. Local providers do so by offering bundling and local programming not available with Dish; Direct does so by offering packages, namely sports, not available on Dish or local providers. What does Dish offer that one cannot get from others? That was my point

You saw the word "sports" and assumed my whole point was about sports. My point was about offering something others don't, sports just happens to be ONE of those things.

Don't forget your last paragraph, where you detailed how you feel what is "really hurting" Dish... ;)

I'll just post the same thing I posted on the other site. No point in rewriting the same point differently

The truth of the matter is Dish keeps losing more subs than they gain quarter after quarter. Out of the last 4 or 5 quarters they have only had one postie net growth in subs. No matter how much you want to spin, no matter how much they profit in the short term, no business can continue to operate in such a manner. It is not a good thing to lose more customers than you gain over and over and over again. They seriously need to address this issue. I do not want to see only one DBS provider. It will make satellite TV become like SiriusXM (and that is not a good thing).

The main reason why people chose satellite over local cable or fiber is because of packages not offered with their local service. Local packages often include bundling which people jump all over. The only way Dish can compete with these local providers AND the other satellite service is to offer something attractive that nobody else offers. Direct does this with sports, perhaps Dish can do the same with movies?

What I believe is really hurting them is their lack of sports programming, which attracts people to satellite. Even local programming is missing as local RSNs are game only (many good local programming in HD cannot be seen), still many games are JIP'd (even though this was supposed to be taken care of), and virtually nothing is offered in sports in the largest market in the US (NY). Why would sports fans go to Dish when they can get all of their locals in HD through a local provider or through DirecTV?

I am paying $24 in receiver fees now. I have 2 722K's and 1 211K. If the 2013 price increase is really bad I might have to go to D* or a Comcast Triple Play. My contract isn't up until then anyway.

Well since you did the math feel free to share with the class, what exactly is 'well ahead of last year' when the article plainly states revenue would have been $3.35b, instead of $3.59b, with reported income of $335m up from $257m.
Where are you reading this? I'm not finding it an any of the articles posted.

Where are you reading this? I'm not finding it an any of the articles posted.

Dish Loses 135,000 Subscribers, Shares Fall on Q2 Earnings | Reuters

Last couple of paragraphs there, it's in my first post mentioning those numbers.

Although some industry watchers remain skeptical about the wisdom of Dish's successful bid for the bankrupt video rental chain Blockbuster last spring, in the short term the acquisition is helping the company drive revenues. Without the money generated by Blockbuster, revenue would have lagged at $3.34 billion.

Clayton told analysts that Dish was working on content deals with studios to keep Blockbuster supplied and planned to invest in Blockbuster's digital arm. He emphasized that the brand still had appeal, but poured cold water on the idea that the company would invest on the order of $1 billion to reinvigorate the company.

Thanks, missed that one. However, without BB, they were still up 6% so the word lagged was ill-used.

Last edited:
To bad Fios is only available in very limited areas... if it were available nationwide I am sure a lot more would switch.

Surprisingly, Verizon is having a hard time getting people to switch to Fios in my area. And Cox isn't much competition, IMHO. Inertia is a terrible thing.

We have had it available since they started, guessing over 4 years now? We didn't switch until this year when the DVR fees really hit, and I must say we are glad we did, not only is the price great, and will remain so because of the amount of competition here, but the picture quality is unreal, wow. Plus now I get the local sports channel, and I really did miss it after all.

Thanks, missed that one. However, without BB, they were still up 6% so the word lagged was ill-used.
Kab - they "lagged" the revenue projection. As I said, without BB they were still ahead of last year. Over the years, Mr. Ergan has earned a tidy sum for himself and the other stockholders. (He owns more stock then all of the other investors combined so he is highly motivated to do well by the investors.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)