DISH Loses 135,00 Subs in Second Quarter

Yet every 5 minutes I see DISH commercials (when not watching DVR'd content) stating DISH has so many more cheap packages "under $60 a month" compared to DirecTV. Yeah, if you don't have a DVR or two. Seems to me that their pricing scheme is doing the exact opposite of what this article claims. Trying to appeal to those "lower-end" customers that don't need a DVR. I would think that the more "affluent" customers would want at least 1 or 2 DVRs, but even those with the money aren't willing to spend so much on receiver fees alone.

Now maybe your post did not mean to come out this way,but I have only one HDDVR(VIP722k/wMT2) for my HDTV and SDTV and I save money with Dish Network when I compare my setup to any other provider.

Plus last month the bad economy got us and with Dish Network I was able to go from AT250 to AT120 and keep my HD For Life which made my bill cheaper than if I was with any other provider.:)

I can't wait for the economy to get better so I can readd programming.;)

Perhaps the satellite market has matured and is ready for a downswing. At Dish Network's current rate, it would take 4+ years for Dish Network to get down to 10 million subscribers if they lost 250,000 subscribers per quarter. In 8 years at this rate it would be down to 6 million customers which seems a lot worse than the 10 million.

mike123abc said:
I changed my 622s to 211ks after the credits ran out to save $$, and use a 922 for my main recording unit. I will wait for the XiPs come out to see if I need to change again. But I agree every TV in the house needs and HD DVR I am running 6 TVs now too.

I realize it is prefernce for your family but out of curiosity why doesevery tv need a dvr. An HD receiver sure but a dvr also..seems like a lot of recording going on. How do u watch it all. Of course I have no idea how many tv watchers in your home either. I barley have time to watch what I record now I can't imagine having a dvr on our second tv...and itsjust my wife and I...

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Well since all you have to do with a 211k is hook up an EHD to it to make it a DVR, it was pretty easy, and it gives you 10 day guide and trick plays on live TV. There is a 1 time $40 fee for this then you can have all the 211ks with EHDs at no additional monthly DVR charges. IF they had a monthly DVR fee I would not have made them all DVRs. Before I had AEP which also had no DVR fees.

The primary recording is done on the 922. The 211s do the kids stuff so it does not mix, like I said no monthly fees make it easy.

True...

That was just a general point about satellite vs local providers. IOW, why would many people choose satellite when they can get the same programming and often more with local providers, which includes bundling? What stands out to attract them to satellite over their local cable or fiber are packages that are not offered locally (i.e. sports).

Think about it.

What is the one thing, or more, that separates Direct from the others? Sports

What is the one thing, or more, that separates local cable or fiber from the others? Local programming and bundling

What is the one thing, or more, that separates Dish from the others? I can't really think of anything.

That is probably why Dish is losing subs. A lot (around 135k) seem to agree with you and saw no need to keep Dish. Perhaps they will be able to turn it around with a wireless internet service and movie downloads... But, that is probably a 5 year project to set up...

I agree with you on that front, but not every Dish subscriber has an international package. Now if they were to advertise more about their international offerings, maybe it'll attract some new customers, but in this economy, who knows if that would even work.

They don't need to advertise international, as the channel are pretty much exclusive to Dish. These customers are all pretty much word of mouth, from their friends and family who also have the package at their house.

They are running out of new customers on the Indian and Arabic packages, as when I get these customers calling me chances are they aready had Dish at one point in the past.

Yet every 5 minutes I see DISH commercials (when not watching DVR'd content) stating DISH has so many more cheap packages "under $60 a month" compared to DirecTV. Yeah, if you don't have a DVR or two. Seems to me that their pricing scheme is doing the exact opposite of what this article claims. Trying to appeal to those "lower-end" customers that don't need a DVR. I would think that the more "affluent" customers would want at least 1 or 2 DVRs, but even those with the money aren't willing to spend so much on receiver fees alone.

Yea, and if you have Directv, every 5 minutes you are seeing a commercial bashing DISH Network.

Put both services side by side on the same channel, same identical programs except both providers insert their own commercials.

Scott, you're like the local TV news.... emphasize the negative.... Why didn't you make the subject

"DISH Network Revenues Grow by 13.3 Percent to $3.59 Billion and Net Income Increases 30.3 Percent to $335 Million" ?

Perhaps the satellite market has matured and is ready for a downswing. At Dish Network's current rate, it would take 4+ years for Dish Network to get down to 10 million subscribers if they lost 250,000 subscribers per quarter. In 8 years at this rate it would be down to 6 million customers which seems a lot worse than the 10 million.

I am thinking that Dish with the Blockbuster add is looking to change there course a bit or expand in how they deliver services?

...DISH has so many more cheap packages "under $60 a month" compared to DirecTV. Yeah, if you don't have a DVR or two.
What does "packages" have to do with "equipment" ? Every provider goes by "packages" as it's a common baseline ! When I go to D*'s website I see "Packages start as low as $29.99..." or the cableco's website (Time Warner Cable | Time Warner Cable | Dayton), after inputting my address, etc, etc, I see "Starting at $39.95 Monthly* For 12 Months".

My entire point was what's the point in cheap packages if there are outrageous receiver fees. What do they have to do with each other? Money. It's not like you will only be paying for "packages" unless you only have one non-DVR receiver. When receiver fees add up to be over a quarter of the package fee (in my case, for only two 722ks, + AT250) then it's getting ridiculous. If I needed any more than that then I would seriously consider D*.

So, as I said, it looks to me like they are only appealing to the "low-end" customers

Scott, you're like the local TV news.... emphasize the negative.... Why didn't you make the subject

"DISH Network Revenues Grow by 13.3 Percent to $3.59 Billion and Net Income Increases 30.3 Percent to $335 Million" ?

Because everyone says I am too positive about DISH all the time.

You should go view the same topic on the other site. I have never seen so much positive spinning in my life. According to a couple of Mods over there Dish can do no wrong, they are doing better than Direct because they have a lower gross sub loss, Direct only does better at net growth because they do a better job at gaining subs due to advertising only, and losing subs is good in the short term because they get rid of the low end ones (I thought Dish mainly focused on low end subs to begin with, and how many quarters are they going to be doing this?)

You should go view the same topic on the other site. I have never seen so much positive spinning in my life. According to a couple of Mods over there Dish can do no wrong, they are doing better than Direct because they have a lower gross sub loss, Direct only does better at net growth because they do a better job at gaining subs due to advertising only, and losing subs is good in the short term because they get rid of the low end ones (I thought Dish mainly focused on low end subs to begin with, and how many quarters are they going to be doing this?)

:eek:

All the fees Dish charges is why I dropped 1 DVR and 1 non-DVR. I am seriously considering dropped programming packages. too. My household watches very few movies and no sports and I hate reality shows to a passion. We have 250 pack and we only watch maybe 10 channels. and we pay 80 dollars a month for those.

My entire point was what's the point in cheap packages if there are outrageous receiver fees.

So, as I said, it looks to me like they are only appealing to the "low-end" customers
Okay then, what do they advertise prices for ? 1-room systems with a non-DVR receiver ? 5-room setups, two with DVRs, the others without ? Where does it end ?

Pizza places don't advertise the price of their large 6-topping pizza - they show the price of a 1-topping pizza. Car makers typically compare the price of the 'base' model to their competitor's similar car's base model.

Because everyone says I am too positive about DISH all the time.
Everyone ? I wouldn't worry about what the anti-Dish people say... You say negative things about Dish when it's appropriate. Of course, some people choose to ignore that negative stuff you say about them and criticize you, as you indicate, for only kissing their a**. :)

Okay then, what do they advertise prices for ? 1-room systems with a non-DVR receiver ? 5-room setups, two with DVRs, the others without ? Where does it end ?

Pizza places don't advertise the price of their large 6-topping pizza - they show the price of a 1-topping pizza. Car makers typically compare the price of the 'base' model to their competitor's similar car's base model.

At least the pizza places usually say "medium 1-topping." They don't just say "we've got cheaper pizza than xx does" then hit you up with a $6 "large pizza fee" for the order plus an another $17 "additional pizza fee" for each extra pizza. Again you are missing my original point. My point was, the article I originally quoted, claimed that DISH is appealing to "affluent" TV viewers. My point was, even the "affluent" are not willing to pay these outrageous receiver fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)