DISH loses 4 more HD channels - 3 Return

All you people who say glad the channels are gone because Dish is trying to keep our prices low should all just jump off a cliff. I saw a price increase this month. This sucks bigtime. The Disney channels were the most watched channels. I started to have respect for dish adding new HD channels then they show there true colors and pull this crap. Then they tell us to watch the SD version. I refuse to watch the downconverted center cut version of a channel when we had the HD version which looked much better. I hope this is resolved soon but until then I refuse to watch the Disney and ABC Family channels in SD.

All you people who say glad the channels are gone because Dish is trying to keep our prices low should all just jump off a cliff. I saw a price increase this month. .
There has been more then one increase so far this year too.

Ask The Premium, SuperStation,Phone Connect fee, and Duo DVR Customers about their increases.;)

Look at those numbers again, espn/abc drew 13 mil while game 7 drew 18 and the WS had a high of 22 mil, the game that drew 13 mil was one of the first games of the cup, we are not even in the knockout stage yet. It better to compare the numbers to the first series of the playoffs in MLB and NBA than to the championship games. Not to mention that Univison is drawing millions as well. For that same game it drew over 4 million, so it was 17 million total viewers in the US for a group stage game, one million less than the championship game of the NBA. Not to mention all the people watching at work on ESPN3, Univison.com, and espn mobile. So yeah, not close to the nfl, but considering this is only the beginning, the numbers could be better than MLB and the NBA for the final.
And if the US is out, they will drop, not go up. The same for Mexico.

Those high ratings are when you factor in US and Mexico games. Take them out and the ratings drop significantly. I would be willing to bet the fewer people will be watching the later rounds once US and Mexico are out.

Actually in talking with others over the past few minutes it appears the reason why ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD were not pulled from DISH was because many bars, resturants and commercial establishments get their ESPN HD feeds from DISH. To pull the feeds could have meant a lot of lost business for those establishments.
:confused:
I have not seen a single bar use Dish. Every one of them that I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot, ALL use Direct.

Restaurants and other commercial places use Direct or local cable much more than Dish.

Yeap. $16 per month increase. That's why today is my last day. What a last day. Bill for premiere, 2 hddvr's, and 1 HD receivers over the next two years never reaches what I am paying now.

S~

:confused:
I have not seen a single bar use Dish. Every one of them that I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot, ALL use Direct.

Restaurants and other commercial places use Direct or local cable much more than Dish.
I've NEVER been to ANY bar or resturant that had E* service ,,, EVER.

I've never seen E* service in any commercial building Yet.

Wait , I'm sorry I have , SEARS and Radio Shack

cashmonee said:
True. I agree that the World Cup is not the same thing as those games you mentioned. However, all three of those events you mentioned were on network television while the majority of the World Cup thus far has been on pay TV (although the England v US game you reference was abc). The rating garnered by the World Cup will likely be some of the highest ESPN gets this year, certainly over the summer. The World Cup is a very big event for ESPN and ESPN 2, not so much for abc.

As for Dish fighting for the consumer, I'm sorry, but I just don't see that being the case. They are fighting for themselves, not the consumer. Further, aside from a few of the small packages, I just don't see Dish as any cheaper than the competition, especially when you start factoring in multiple receivers and DVRs. After the initial 2 years, DirecTV would charge me $78 for the Choice Xtra with two DVRs and whole-home DVR. Dish, in August wants to charge me $90 for America's Top 200 with one DVR and a second receiver. How is Dish cheaper?

Explain how you will have to pay $90 for Top 200 ($55 incl Free-HD & Locals) and one VIP722 Dual-Room HD DVR (STB included + $6 for DVR service). That looks like a total of $61 to me!

Edit: Add in a 2nd HD receiver or DVR for $7 to $17, depending on model, brings your total bill to between $68 and $78 at most.

Last edited:
I've NEVER been to ANY bar or resturant that had E* service ,,, EVER.

I've never seen E* service in any commercial building Yet.
There are a lot of them around here, and many area retailer are telling me as of late they are doing more commercial then residential.

I don't know but if I had a bar or restaurant I would have DIRECTV, without question. But if I was going into an office building, doctors office or Hotel, I would go with DISH.

There are a lot of them around here, and many area retailer are telling me as of late they are doing more commercial then residential.

I don't know but if I had a bar or restaurant I would have DIRECTV, without question. But if I was going into an office building, doctors office or Hotel, I would go with DISH.
I'm not saying they aren't around , But most Doctors offices and Hotels in my area have cable, and the Bars all have MLB EI, and NFL ST, 2 things not on E*.

I go to the bar to watch sports with my beer, Not Epix 1 and 2:D

As a restaurant owner I went with Dish. Dish has a low cost news package. Sports is not for my venue, but local channels and news/weather cheap is a good match. Dish is cheaper if you want a subset of channels.

Disney just sucks.

In the '50's, Walt Disney created a magical place at Disneyland. It was a wonderland for kids. By the '80's, it was obvious that Disney had become a business conglomerate as evidenced by the skyrocketing admission prices at Disneyland. Mickey Mouse is not cheap -- and he really got greedy over the years!

Walt must be turning over in his grave over this latest powerplay. The magic is certainly gone...

Just FYI (and I reported this in the other thread) it appears that it was DISNEY who pulled the channels.... I am hearing DISH wanted to keep them going as negoations continued

Same thing happened when D* lost Versus. D* wanted to continue to talk and leave the channel on under the current terms of the contract. But Comcast didn't want to and pulled the channel.

As a restaurant owner I went with Dish. Dish has a low cost news package. Sports is not for my venue, but local channels and news/weather cheap is a good match. Dish is cheaper if you want a subset of channels.

I was looking at the business site. Im curious if you do not mind. It says "cheapest plan is $40 for business essentials. This is what they charge, or is it based on per X 50 of your FOC?

DISH Loses Four; Boosts Prices

From MediaBiz.

That "Free HD" deal at DISH Network isn't going to include four of the Disney HD channels – at least for the immediate future. Unwilling to agree to carriage price increases, DISH is no longer carrying Disney Channel HD, Disney XD HD, ABC Family HD and ESPN News HD. Disney and DISH do not have a deal in place for carriage of those channels and they've been battling over a NY court ruling awarding Disney approximately $65 million in back carriage fees for various Disney properties.

Still, DISH will continue to carry standard definition versions of the four nets and, with the World Cup and Wimbledon raking in viewers, ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD are apparently safe for now.

In other news, DISH has come out with some price hikes – and one notable reduction. The DBS provider's DISH America channel with local channels included has been reduced by $5 to $29.99/month. That's a hefty 14% and a nice gift to those customers in this era of ever-increasing fees.

However, other DISH packages are going to cost $2 more as America's Top 200 and America's Top 250 are now $54.99/mo. and $64.99/mo with locals respectively. In addition a la carte prices are up by as much as $1.50 and premium movie packages have all been boosted by 1¢.•

dish is really starting to bug the crap out of me with their fees and then they start pulling programming.

I have a package that costs $39.99 per month but for some reason my bill is $90.

$17 for a duo DVR and another 20 for a two 612s and another $5 because they 622 can't seem to keep an IP. So just the three receivers costs me $42 which is more than my programming.

Personally I think dish, directv, and cable operators don't get it. Their business model has been successful for years but the times are changing. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon VOD, torrents, and other illegal sites are going to impact them if they keep over charging for hardware.

Play hardball with disney all you want but continue to ram it in us with all these excessive fees. Oh the irony in this debate.

In the '50's, Walt Disney created a magical place at Disneyland. It was a wonderland for kids. By the '80's, it was obvious that Disney had become a business conglomerate as evidenced by the skyrocketing admission prices at Disneyland. Mickey Mouse is not cheap -- and he really got greedy over the years!

Walt must be turning over in his grave over this latest powerplay. The magic is certainly gone...

As a HUGE Disney fan myself (well, vintage Disney), I give you two thumbs up for this post. :up Disneyland is MY land. I practically grew up there. But what Disney is today is nothing at all what it used to be. There is no more DISNEY on The Disney Channel or Disney XD or any other "Disney" network. With rare exceptions (Pixar), Disney is dead and no longer exists as Walt knew it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts