DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

All they have to do is look at what DISH did to Blockbuster when they took over and the fact that they continue to shed physical stores at a fast rate , to know what they would do to Sprint in a takeover. The Sprint team should be worried.

That is nonsensical! The deal with Sprint is a merger, the deal with blockbuster was an absorbing of an already bankrupted company.

All they have to do is look at what DISH did to Blockbuster when they took over and the fact that they continue to shed physical stores at a fast rate , to know what they would do to Sprint in a takeover. The Sprint team should be worried.
The Sprint "team" has no say-so and if they did, they're only looking out for themselves. This is a shareholder decision and if closing stores helps the company make a profit or more profit, you can be damn sure they're on board with that !

i understand what you're trying to say but honestly in this case i don't think one thing has to do with the other.

Sprint stores = Dish Network showrooms. Dish Network showrooms = Sprint stores. Sprint Stores = Fewer Dish Network retailers, all done in house at the Sprint stores.

That is nonsensical! The deal with Sprint is a merger, the deal with blockbuster was an absorbing of an already bankrupted company.

Nothing nonsensical about it. All you have to do is look at any company that buys or merges with another one and you see a cut in staff ,especially the upper administration of the company bought. Also DISH took a company like Blockbuster and instead of investing in streaming video and trying to compete with Netflix , they dismantled the physical stores and have closed down all the blockbuster applications for the general public to view them too. DISH knows nothing about Cell phones and I can imagine that in their need to cut costs quickly, that the senior upper staff of Sprint would be gone so that they could control it with unfettered access. This of course would doom the new company. Have you seen any partnership with DISH and another company work out in the past? Microsoft and DISH : the original webtv/dishplayer a failure over disputes between them ruined this great receiver. Tivo and DISH -the lawsuits over Charlie Stealing their software went on for years and Charlie paid billions to them for patents. I see nothing nonsensical about the idea of the upper staff being scared, just look at the history of DISH and the way that they deal with partnerships , the perpetual lawsuits and you can easily see why the Sprint upper staff would be apprehensive about being terminated ,if there was a DISH takeover.

Nothing nonsensical about it. All you have to do is look at any company that buys or merges with another one and you see a cut in staff ,especially the upper administration of the company bought. Also DISH took a company like Blockbuster and instead of investing in streaming video and trying to compete with Netflix , they dismantled the physical stores and have closed down all the blockbuster applications for the general public to view them too. DISH knows nothing about Cell phones and I can imagine that in their need to cut costs quickly, that the senior upper staff of Sprint would be gone so that they could control it with unfettered access. This of course would doom the new company. Have you seen any partnership with DISH and another company work out in the past? Microsoft and DISH : the original webtv/dishplayer a failure over disputes between them ruined this great receiver. Tivo and DISH -the lawsuits over Charlie Stealing their software went on for years and Charlie paid billions to them for patents. I see nothing nonsensical about the idea of the upper staff being scared, just look at the history of DISH and the way that they deal with partnerships , the perpetual lawsuits and you can easily see why the Sprint upper staff would be apprehensive about being terminated ,if there was a DISH takeover.
Dish admitted that they acquired bankrupt Blockbuster for the brand for marketing purposes. They had no intention to build it up and use it to compete with other streaming services. This is the opposite case with Sprint. The two situations are completely not comparable.

DISH knows nothing about cell phones and I can imagine that in their need to cut costs quickly, that the senior upper staff of Sprint would be gone so that they could control it with unfettered access.

You may be right about Sprint senior management fears. But the reason for keeping them is right there in your own sentence. Dish doesn't know how to run a cell phone company, while Sprint management obviously does. If I were Charlie, I'd keep many of them around.

I have no doubt that there will be staff reductions after the merger. They will not need 2 of every department. Slowly but surely many departments will be merged and some staff will go. But, I do not think it will be a wholesale firing and layoffs, both Dish and Sprint are on going concerns, they want to stay in business during the transition.

I'm just hoping they will able to use Dish retailers to sell the phone and internet. I think it could really help overall sales.

Dish admitted that they acquired bankrupt Blockbuster for the brand for marketing purposes. They had no intention to build it up and use it to compete with other streaming services. This is the opposite case with Sprint. The two situations are completely not comparable.

Now whether Blockbuster and Sprint are comparable or not is not the question. The fact that almost all merged companies dump staff that they feel are not needed is comparable. DISH dumped staff at Blockbuster and I'm betting you that they will do the same thing with Sprint if they do accomplish this merger.

You may be right about Sprint senior management fears. But the reason for keeping them is right there in your own sentence. Dish doesn't know how to run a cell phone company, while Sprint management obviously does. If I were Charlie, I'd keep many of them around.

I agree ,but have you ever known Charlie to not squeeze a penny till it screams? He will get what he needs from as few Sprint people as possible, in order to maximize the profits, if DISH history is any indication.

Now whether Blockbuster and Sprint are comparable or not is not the question. The fact that almost all merged companies dump staff that they feel are not needed is comparable. DISH dumped staff at Blockbuster and I'm betting you that they will do the same thing with Sprint if they do accomplish this merger.
And do you think that there is a knowledgeable soul that does not expect anything different? You said it yourself, it's part of the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts