DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

And they are in a difficult position to try to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The board has an obligation to maximize value to the shareholders. If they determine that the Dish offer is legitimate and workable, they would be breaching their fiduciary duty if they didn't explore it. Odds are, SoftBank will have to up their offer to complete the deal.

I agree they will have to up their deal. But I am betting that Charlie will be used to get SoftBank to do this. I doubt that Sprint wants to be aquired or Merged with DISH or Echostar if Charlie Ergen is involved.

Dish probably waited to make an offer so that SoftBank would not counter then Dish have to counter again and have a lot of time to do the counter back and forth. The less time there is the fewer counters back and forth that would happen.

"Softbank goes to war" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...re-goes-to-war-with-Dish-over-Sprint-bid.html He can talk up his 4g network all he wants, the revolutionary technology is Dish's plan to use the 700 mhz band to simultaneously beam TV, etc to multiple handsets (See post 75 for Dish explanation) But, they also need a conventional "standard service" cellphone network to make it all feasible. Won't happen if they don't get a big cell provider to join them. With the limited amount of spectrum available, this technology provides a huge jump in efficiency. If I were King (FCC), I'd want the Dish plan to succeed.

This is just a copy of what I wrote on a different thread but it is what I believe.

I truly hope Dish doesn't get Sprint, it's not that I'm against Dish but I don't see anything good for the consumer to come out of this. When Softbank first made their offer I was excited at the thought that they would bring some of their practices overseas to the US. Softbank has lowered costs and made plans/contracts more consumer friendly, currently the US cellphone market could use some more competition and outside influence. Besides Canada the US has some of the highest costs, worst contracts, and flacky coverage in the developed world. When Softbank/Sprint finish building their nex-gen/4g network I could see good changes to plans and contracts that would favor consumers making Verizon and AT&T adapt and finally stop the collusion that is currently going on in the wireless market.

One article I read was that Google wants Softbank to succeed in getting Sprint because they have already been working with Softbank overseas.

This is just a copy of what I wrote on a different thread but it is what I believe.

I truly hope Dish doesn't get Sprint, it's not that I'm against Dish but I don't see anything good for the consumer to come out of this. When Softbank first made their offer I was excited at the thought that they would bring some of their practices overseas to the US. Softbank has lowered costs and made plans/contracts more consumer friendly, currently the US cellphone market could use some more competition and outside influence. Besides Canada the US has some of the highest costs, worst contracts, and flacky coverage in the developed world. When Softbank/Sprint finish building their nex-gen/4g network I could see good changes to plans and contracts that would favor consumers making Verizon and AT&T adapt and finally stop the collusion that is currently going on in the wireless market.
Excellent points and Softbank has a superb reputation after cracking open new markets with low cost plans and excellent service. But, the beaming service Dish can offer is where the future of low cost, uncapped data stream services has to go. An even better deal would be for Softbank to join forces with Dish and Sprint and we would have the best of all worlds. And that might be what happens when it all shakes out.

From the latest Reuters update --- "Son dismissed the possibility of a joint purchase of Sprint by Dish and SoftBank, saying it was not necessary and that it might be difficult to work together.
But if SoftBank closes its deal, Son said he would be open to discussing a spectrum hosting agreement with Ergen, where Dish would pay to use Sprint's network to offer its own service using its own spectrum as well.
"I'm open to any potential business, but first we have to own Sprint," he said"

Is Sprint in bankruptcy?

Im referring to service, not finances. I've been using one form of movie mailing service since 2000 (Walmart, Netflix and BB), so I've seen the good and the bad. While BB went downhill, they are arguably worse since Dish took them over. Lets face it, BB's mailing service sucks, and people wouldn't miss it if it was gone. A big turning point I noticed was when Dish incorporated it into their service and the slowdown increased. They were always slower than Netflix, but it got worse.

While its not all their fault, they certainly didn't improve things...

I have AT&T LTE right now. And the fourth largest Sprint shareholder has come out favoring the Dish deal.

And I, and no doubt many others, would miss the discs by mail from BB@H if it went away. Works fine for me and serves my needs well.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Im sure plenty of people liked the Ford Pinto, but it doesnt mean it was actually any good. Netflix has them beat period, and the service has gotten worse since Dish took over. Is that Dish's fault? I wont speculate.

As far as shareholders and board members, the company I work for made a "next best thing to sliced bread purchase" ($3.3 billion) two years ago, and its been nothing but a crap filled twinkie.

I understand why Dish wants it, but I see compelling reasons for them not to get it too. I have VZW 4G and love it. I can get 20 mbps down in my home, but I'd love to see someone relax the bandwidth limits, at least to 250 or 500gigs a month like normal Cable/DSL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)