Dish Mounting Options

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RedVR6

Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hi all. New guy here and very frustrated. My landlord recently (a week ago this past Thursday) had the house re-roofed due to some leaking. The dish I was using was mounted directly to the roof when we moved in and was taken down my the roofers that Thursaday they started work. Of course I was not informed of this until after the dish was removed and that they will not be remounting it to where it was originally. So I called DirecTV to arrange for a tech. to come out and remount the dish elsewhere on the house the coming Saturday. The technician never showed up, so I had to reschdule for the coming Tuesday morning. Tuesday rolls around the tech arrived and I now discovered the landlord (as she was there) did not want the dish mounted anywhere on the house that would require drilling. :mad: So we opted for a chimney mounting, which required me to supply the parts. OK no problem.

After some searching locally I could not find a kit but managed to find one online at hometech.com ordered the kit and it arrived two days later. Very happy about that. The technician arrives this past Saturday and we discover the mounting bracket for this kit does not fit the base of the dish. So, I ask the tech. if he has the capability to modify the existing parts to make them fit so we can get this job done and me having my TV back. He looked at me like a deer in headlights and said he did not have the equipment or knowledge of what to do.

At this point my head is about to explode and it was clear I was not getting anywhere with this guy. Being that he was the installer, I would have thought he would be prepared for any situation. That was not the case though.

So....I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand in other mounting options, as I need to keep the dish relatively high to keep it above some trees in the woods across the street. I have seen a couple Non Penetrating Dish Mounts, which might not be a bad option for me. Anyone have experience with these mounts or have a source for other chimney mount kits?

Thanks!

Doug

Doug tell us what you have beyond the fact it is a Directv system. Most chimney mounts fit most dishes what did you get for a chimney mount? What do you have for a Dish?

boba, thanks for the response. The mounting kit I bought was CHIMSAT
Satellite Dish Chimney Mount
from hometech.com. My Dish is a Terk. Not sure of the exact model (I can check that when I get home though) but it's a std 18" dish with a dual LNB.

I kind of figured that these mounting kits were universal. But that apparently is not the case as the bolts in the CHIMSAT kit do not line up properly with the dish's mast base. It is probably an 1/8" off. :rolleyes:

Doug

The Chimsat looks like a standard chimney mount. The 18" Terk was made by KTI but knowing Terks fondness for overseas production is probably a knock off they may have made a slight hole pattern change to avoid patent infringement. I would use "Tap-Com" concrete anchors and mount it directly to the chimney irregardless of the landlords desire. If you had to Drilling out the holes in the mount and the dish foot should allow you to use them together.

Send me a PM. I am a professional installer and have plenty of the original Channel Master US manufactured mounting feet. I can send you one by Priority Mail at cost. This foot will definitely fit the Channel Master made chimney mount.

Thanks guys!

boba, I was thinking I could just "mod" the bracket by drilling new holes. That will save me the hassle of sending this kit back. Hmm.

Mike, will send you a PM.

The roof system with the sand bags or what ever crap they are selling will never make it unless you have no wind,rain,snow,ie: you live in a bubble.Drilling into the chimney with out your landlord consent could result in a tear down and install of a new chimmney, 6 feet above the roof line would cost about 900-1400.00 depending where you live(materials,labor,removal of debri).Get a peice of pressure treated lumber,mount the dish mast base bracket to that,purchase 1/4 inch aircraft cable and turn buckles and cable clamps,after the dish base has been mounted to the wood drill through the wood (end to end),slide the cables through the holes,use the turn buckles as compression straps and crank them down on the chimney.Use at least 2" thick wood for better results double it

Mike,

I sent you mail but figured I would post as well. Got the foot for the dish today and it fits perfectly! Thank you very much, you're a life saver. ;)

Just Curious as to what the installers here would charge for this job in their area or would this be included with Standard Installation?

ROB

Fuming...Still not Mounted..Three Weeks!

Well...I still have not gotten my dish installed. Instead of retyping it all...here is an email I sent to DirecTV on Sunday:

I have been a DirecTV customer for nearly two years
and have been thrilled with the service, content and
ease of accessing my account via the internet – until
now. The reason for my dissatisfaction should become
apparent as you read the following:

On June 3, 2004 my landlord had the house re-roofed
and without my knowledge, the roofer took my dish
down, which happened to be mounted directly to the
roof. The original installation was the cause of a
leak into the living area below, thus was not
reinstalled after the repair was complete. I called
DirecTV to have someone come out to move the dish to a
different location and the customer service rep I
spoke with said that he would have a technician out to
the house sometime in the afternoon on Saturday June
5th.

On that Saturday I waited all day for the technician
to arrive. At 5:15pm I contacted customer service at
DirecTV to find out where the technician was; the
customer service representative informed me that I did
not have any work scheduled for this day, and that
someone was supposed to call me to setup an
appointment. The notes this rep was reading back to me
were completely different than what I was told two
days prior. This annoyed me greatly and I expressed
this inconvenience to him. I was offered a credit to
one of my movie channels for the inconvenience as a
peace offering. I requested that they send someone out
to my house as soon as possible to get this dish move
resolved. I was now scheduled to have someone come in
the morning of Tuesday June 8, 2004.

On Tuesday the technician showed up early and we
determined that the dish needed to be moved to the top
level of the roof. I then informed him that the
landlord has requested that the dish not be mounted
directly into the roof again, to find another spot to
install it. After about 30 minutes the technician said
that the only decent spot to mount the dish was to the
chimney. The tech said that he was 1) not prepared for
this type of installation, 2) had never done this type
of installation before, and 3) informed me that I have
to provide the mounting hardware for this procedure.
I was displeased to be told this, and confused, being
that this technician is a “professional installer”
that I had to provide mounting hardware. I reluctantly
agreed and the technician said that he would call his
home office, inform them of the situation, and request
that an experienced tech be dispatched to my home when
I have the mounting kit.

After much searching, I finally found a chimney
mounting kit and immediately called DirecTV and
scheduled to have a technician to come back out to the
house the afternoon of Saturday June 12th. On the 12th
a technician arrived and apparently was not aware that
the dish was to be mounted on the chimney.
Unfortunately, he too was inexperienced at this
mounting technique. While the tech was on the roof
preparing to mount the dish to the chimney he realized
the mounting bracket did not fit the foot of the dish
properly. So the technician comes down off the roof to
show me the problem and asks, “What should we do about
this?” I responded that he should figure out something
as this is the third time I have tried to get this
dish mounted in 7 days. Incredibly, this technician
was not prepared to troubleshoot the situation past
banging the mount against the foot of the dish.

He had no tools to modify the mount, he did not have a
replacement foot for the dish so that it would fit to
the bracket properly, nor had he any idea how to get
past this minor hurdle. Disgusted with the service I
have been receiving to this point, I told the tech
that he could leave and I would work something out in
the meantime, and would call back yet again when I
have a mounting kit that works with the dish.

After the tech had departed, I noticed that the LNB
from my dish was missing. I looked everywhere the tech
was working and could not find it. Immediately I
called DirecTV to explain the entire situation and
express my disgust with what should have been a simple
installation. The girl I spoke with said that she
would call the installation company ASAP to have the
tech return my LNB, which he did that Monday – but
without the hardware to mount it!

After some searching on the internet I located a
discussion forum on DirecTV and explained this whole
fiasco. I was contacted by a DirecTV installer in
South Carolina and he was very familiar with my
situation - and got quite a laugh out of it. He
informed me I needed a new foot for my dish after I
described the mounting kit I had purchased. He sent me
a new foot for the dish and it mounts perfectly to the
chimney mount.

Amazing - a prepared and knowledgeable DirecTV
installer. Kudos to that fine young man.

On Thursday June 17th I called DirecTV to schedule for
yet another installation appointment and the customer
service rep I spoke to was very helpful. She scheduled
a technician to come out Friday the 18th (today) in
the morning to finally mount the dish. This morning
comes and we received a call from the tech, saying
that his truck has broken down, that he will not be
coming today - nor will they send another technician
out. This, I find completely and totally unacceptable.
I have been without DirecTV service for over two
weeks, this was my FOURTH attempt to get this dish
installed and once again, the installation company has
dropped the ball. For the amount of money that I spend
monthly on DirecTV service, I should not have to put
up with these inconveniences. I have missed two days
of work and have endured entirely too much frustration
for a simple installation of a dish to a chimney. The
two technicians I have dealt with so far have did not
have the proper tools, nor the correct hardware to
install my dish. Apparently they also lacked the
training to do so. How can they, then, be referred to
as professional installers?

I personally feel that regardless of the installation,
a “professional installer” should be prepared for any
situation and/or installation presented. Further,
there should be no reason why any customer should have
to go searching or supplying hardware to get a dish
mounted. Also, since this is all in the fine print of
the contract, why doesn’t DirecTV sell these
accessories on their website? This would have saved me
a lot of time and frustration.

So. I had a technician come out to the house first
thing Saturday morning (June 19th) to install this
dish, which was, again, an inconvenience for me as I
had plans to go away for the weekend. When the tech
arrived, I noticed that he was the first technician
that came to the house two weeks prior. I asked if he
was aware that this was a chimney mount installation
and his response was, “I did not know that and I do
not even know how to do it.” (No surprise there). I
immediately stopped the discussion and told him that
he can leave and that this was the SECOND time he has
been to my house so he should have been prepared for
the installation. I am now rescheduled for Tuesday
morning, which is now pushing into the 3 week without
service window. I am dangerously close to the point of
canceling my DirecTV service and calling Dish Network.
If the installer can not get my dish installed
correctly, and in very short order, I will be calling
DirecTV to cancel my subscription.

So....yesterday I called DirecTV to confirm an appointment for this morning and it was noted on my account many,many times that this is a chimney mount and it must be resolved today. I even received a call from DirecTV last night to once again confirm my address, the chimney mount and that my issue will be resolved ASAP on Tuesday. This morning rolls around, tech. shows up on time but at the wrong house...I then guide him down to my house and ask him if he knows that he is in for a chimney mount. He looks at me like I was nuts. Long story short...this guy left because now they want a letter from my landlord about allowing the chimney mount...something I was not informed of until right there and then....almost three weeks later!! Not to mention someone telling me from the installation company this is going to cost me an additional $90 up front to do this installation. No one told me that either.

So now the tech. is allegedly coming back this afternoon to set the dish up. If he pulls a no show, which I expect based on past experience these past couple weeks, I am going to have to cancel service, which is upsetting to me.

Sorry for the long winded babble here...but I am really angry. I am going to be sending this letter to DTV in hard copy...does anyone have a name or address of someone who works on these customer service issues??

Thanks for listening. :no

RedVR6 said:
Mike,

I sent you mail but figured I would post as well. Got the foot for the dish today and it fits perfectly! Thank you very much, you're a life saver. ;)

You're very welcome, John,

Just like to help. Not much bother. Also, as a Professional installer, I would have had tools to modified the bracket that you has, already.

I wish I was there. T's throw that dish up there for you.

I don't know what these dolts are up to. They try to make a simple install complicated. They appear to be paid minimum wage or even less.

Mike

Unreal I tell you. I have never been so frustrated with anything like this before. Gotta move out of NJ I guess. We will see what happens this afternoon. Just the games that are played and ignorance is unbelievable.

I don't know what these dolts are up to. They try to make a simple install complicated. They appear to be paid minimum wage or even less.

There is no way in :dev I would work this job for min. wage.

How can this be hard? even if the mount didn't match the original foot couldnt you have lined up the foot and bracket, marked new holes and drilled them out? :confused:

As I stated in another post the sales people will say anything to make that sale, and let it hang on an installer to handle the grief for the customer. who should have been told. I bet 98% of the customers wouldnt have a problem anyway.

RedVR6 - I hope your dish gets installed, last option is you can send a airline ticket to me and I will make the trip for a small fee. j/k :D

As for the mount...I could have certainly marked the holes for him and drilled them out for him...if I had the tools. What floored me that these guys up here are not prepared or motivated to do anything. How can you not have a drill bit to do this???

I did get the dish mounted finally. Spent a good part of the day on the phone with DTV and the installation company (Mastec...anyone hear of them?). The tech. came back around 1:30 and tried like heck not to go up on the roof to mount the dish, argued with me and the landlord for a good 15 minutes. Even after it has been explained that the only option here is the chimney and that was the reason why he is here. He fianlly complied and had it up in 30 minutes.

Needless to say, I have service again and have to thank this board for helping me out. Without you guys, DTV would have left me hanging still! I am completely disgusted with the service I have been provided, the lack of information exchanged between all parties and out of pocket expense this has costed me without informing me ahead of time. I will be doing my best to voice this to DTV. Unbelievable.

Thanks again guys...I wish these installers had your capabilities.

John,

If it's the same Mastec I know, they are a large contractor for cable companies, telephone companies and untilities.

Strange that they did satellite installations.

Glad you finally got it.

Alright! you got TV :clap

They are in NC too, I started out with them, and am happy to say I have moved on to greener ( $ ) pastures!

Enjoy!

ROB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reciever problems with low power

HD Locals Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)