DISH Mover - I need advice

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
My parents currently have DISH and have a ViP622 as well as another receiver in a bedroom somewhere. They are having a new home built about 10 miles away. Their dish is a 1000.2.

It is my understanding with DISH Mover, DISH wants you to leave the dish and take the receivers. They then install at your new location. Is this correct? What do they charge for this?

The real question is this: My parents are still living in the "old" house while the new one is being constructed. Sheetrock goes up next week. It would be MUCH easier to run coax before the walls are done, but they won't be moving in until May or June. The electrician is done and gone, so we can't ask him to do it. He wouldn't have known where the dish would've been installed anyway. What should my parents do?

The best way to wire a house is to have "home runs" run from each TV location all the way to some central location. Home run means a straight direct shot, no splitters, splices or anything in between. The central location is different in every house, sometimes a closet, basement, attic, or just outside near the electrical power meter. Given that you're in Texas, you probably don't have a basement. My suggestion would be to have them all pulled into the attic near the attic access. This way the install can just run lines from outside into the attic and then make the connections as he sees fit. Also, since everything's open I would recommend running 2 RG6 cables and one CAT6/CAT5E to every possible TV location to help try and future proof yourself.

Also, it depends on your account status, but Dish typically gives you one free Mover install every two years. Just take the receivers, they'll install a new dish.

The best way to wire a house is to have "home runs" run from each TV location all the way to some central location. Home run means a straight direct shot, no splitters, splices or anything in between. The central location is different in every house, sometimes a closet, basement, attic, or just outside near the electrical power meter. Given that you're in Texas, you probably don't have a basement. My suggestion would be to have them all pulled into the attic near the attic access. This way the install can just run lines from outside into the attic and then make the connections as he sees fit. Also, since everything's open I would recommend running 2 RG6 cables and one CAT6/CAT5E to every possible TV location to help try and future proof yourself.

Also, it depends on your account status, but Dish typically gives you one free Mover install every two years. Just take the receivers, they'll install a new dish.

In my case, the central access point is in my garage, just behind the electric meter that faces the outside....

My parents currently have DISH and have a ViP622 as well as another receiver in a bedroom somewhere. They are having a new home built about 10 miles away. Their dish is a 1000.2.

It is my understanding with DISH Mover, DISH wants you to leave the dish and take the receivers. They then install at your new location. Is this correct? What do they charge for this?

The real question is this: My parents are still living in the "old" house while the new one is being constructed. Sheetrock goes up next week. It would be MUCH easier to run coax before the walls are done, but they won't be moving in until May or June. The electrician is done and gone, so we can't ask him to do it. He wouldn't have known where the dish would've been installed anyway. What should my parents do?
Pre wiring the house is not part of the free dishmover. You probably need to get the electrician back out to do it.

I'm having trouble making the general contractor understand that the fact that he's run CAT5, that it does not replace the necessary RG6. Hopefully the electrician knows the difference...hehehe.

Sounds like a clueless electrician which is unusual. I blame whoever wrote the wiring orders though. The RG6 wiring should have been on the parts list along with wallplates with the order.
I was editing as your were posting. Sorry. Yes, I'm sure the electrician knows the difference.

I'm being told now that there are double RG6 to the main TV, but only single to the spare bedroom. Will this work?

That would be minimal wiring but it will work for a basic distribution. You really should pay extra and have all cables dual RG-6.

That would be minimal wiring but it will work for a basic distribution. You really should pay extra and have all cables dual RG-6.
It's not my house.

There is nothing more future-proof then conduit
True. If it were my house, I would certainly do that, and I'd do it myself. I'd also include a third run for OTA. Additionally, I'd do this for all bedrooms as opposed to just the living room and one bedroom, but again, it's not my home. They simply want what they have in their current home duplicated in their new home. They're not interested in future upgrades or redundancy.

If we set up a Dish Mover, the TVs and receivers need to be in the new home for the tech to install. Since the house isn't finished, I'm guessing that your parents aren't ready to give up TV at their current house. Pre-wiring is up to you

Pre wiring the house is not part of the free dishmover. You probably need to get the electrician back out to do it.

+1

As a sub contractor there is a reality of what to expect from a "dish mover". It is a great program new dish, new wire, set up as you want it may be new commitment or some fee. Now the but, if I did the job you could expect the following, I will ONLY install if all recievers are there including the remotes, all TV's are on site and in position where they will be for a reasonable time, and the Account holder is preasent. IF any wire were needed I would run it but NO Wall fishes unless it were the easy way to the TV. all run on the outside of the house, Additionally If the "not Dish Approved" cable or any other connector were used I should re-run the entire job and I will replace all "unapproved" connectors.

the reason for this is Dish's service policy for the technitions, ANY return call for ANY reason within a given time frame results in a back charge to the tech(sub) or some other negitive.

So prewire at your own expence (if you know a Dish tech contact him and let him do this as a "side" job so the job is done correctly) and after you are fully moved in then contact dish and arrange for a "Dish Mover" and enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)