Dish needs to do this

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes, they should. But knowing how Dish operates, they'll charge you a $7 per month fee for the app and then tell you that you need to send back your leased Roku if you cancel with them. ;)

You are assuming with satellite the Roku wouldn't take a tuner. It would have to, because Dish does not have the Internet as TWC does. You must subscribe specifically the TWC internet because the channels come from their system only, and you must have their TV programming of course. In addition, no local channels are available from reading the blogs. It only works in your home, where the Slingbox works anywhere and gets anything. The app is a limited way to get some programming into another room not needing another receiver. And if it was a Dish app I don't see how it wouldn't use a tuner also.

The networks were not very happy with TWC for doing this. TWC claims since they are delivering content to the home via their cable it is legal. They are just using TCP/IP instead of QAM...

You are assuming with satellite the Roku wouldn't take a tuner. It would have to, because Dish does not have the Internet as TWC does. You must subscribe specifically the TWC internet because the channels come from their system only, and you must have their TV programming of course. In addition, no local channels are available from reading the blogs. It only works in your home, where the Slingbox works anywhere and gets anything. The app is a limited way to get some programming into another room not needing another receiver. And if it was a Dish app I don't see how it wouldn't use a tuner also.
It's easy. It streams the programming from the Internet. Thus, no tuner required.

For authentication, as Dish doesn't also provide most of its customers with Internet, it could programmed to only work on a LAN where the account Hopper is detected via Mac address. Voila! (Yeah. I spoke French.)

it could programmed to only work on a LAN where the account Hopper is detected via Mac address. Voila! (Yeah. I spoke French.)

Not to go down a rathole here -- but that's pretty trivial to work around :)

This would be a -killer- app for dish. I'd love it for sure! Just make sure I can play along too (no hopper here).

It's easy. It streams the programming from the Internet. Thus, no tuner required.

For authentication, as Dish doesn't also provide most of its customers with Internet, it could programmed to only work on a LAN where the account Hopper is detected via Mac address. Voila! (Yeah. I spoke French.)

Or just require you to login to the site with the same info you use for Dish Anywhere. I watch plenty of programming on that site, and I certainly don't get my internet from Dish.

The networks were not very happy with TWC for doing this. TWC claims since they are delivering content to the home via their cable it is legal. They are just using TCP/IP instead of QAM...
The networks are, once again, being asses about this. What TWC is doing is so limited and limiting, that the only thing this really does is eliminate to need for an extra stb. Nothing wrong with that, considering that the cabelcos are on their way to get rid of clear QAM, and this works great for tv's that access programming via clear QAM.

TWC has done it. Got this in my email this AM
Time Warner Cable customers can now watch live TV on Roku—effortlessly and with no extra charge. Enjoy Bravo, Food Network, premium channels, original series, sports, news and much more. You can even browse the channel guide by genre and view detailed program descriptions with photos and cast information. Happy streaming!

Or just require you to login to the site with the same info you use for Dish Anywhere. I watch plenty of programming on that site, and I certainly don't get my internet from Dish.
But, what TWC is obviously doing to mollify the networks/content providers is to limit this to the same location as the account. I was merely offering a way that Dish could do the same.

In the eyes of the networks, and probably Dish itself, watching on a PC or mobile device is much different than watching on a TV. And, they don't want you watching on a TV, unless they know for sure that you are paying for it.

TWC has done it. Got this in my email this AM
Time Warner Cable customers can now watch live TV on Roku—effortlessly and with no extra charge. Enjoy Bravo, Food Network, premium channels, original series, sports, news and much more. You can even browse the channel guide by genre and view detailed program descriptions with photos and cast information. Happy streaming!
So, you didn't read the first post in the thread?

But, what TWC is obviously doing to mollify the networks/content providers is to limit this to the same location as the account. I was merely offering a way that Dish could do the same.

In the eyes of the networks, and probably Dish itself, watching on a PC or mobile device is much different than watching on a TV. And, they don't want you watching on a TV, unless they know for sure that you are paying for it.
I understand where you're coming from.

And you're right about what the providers think about pc compared to tv watching. But to be honest, it is a stupid distinction. I've had a pc connected to one of my hdtv's since 2006. It's pretty easy to do nowadays and these restrictions just show how out of touch these companies are.

Dish has had its international channels on Roku for a number of months now. While that's not the same as an entire cable operation, Dish is probably testing the waters? Since Dish has never been known to be speedy about such things, we'll probably see more offerings in the future if it all works out okay?

Dish has had its international channels on Roku for a number of months now. While that's not the same as an entire cable operation, Dish is probably testing the waters? Since Dish has never been known to be speedy about such things, we'll probably see more offerings in the future if it all works out okay?
From your mouth to Chuck's ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)