Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Dish Network 21.0 Internet Support Page

I have skimmed and searched but have not read through this whole thread, so if this information has been posted before I apologize.

Dish Network has a support page for the 21.0 remote that seems pretty helpful to me and helped iron out the bugs.

This is the Dish Network Tech support Page for the 21.0 remote:

/http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/remotes/21.0.shtml

It has good information and trouble shooting help.

Last edited:
Oh, I was so fired up when I learned of this new remote!

We got an Olevia 227V two years ago for the bedroom. It was a pretty good value for the time. But I realized soon after how much I detested the fact that I had to juggle two remotes just to manage the Olevia's volume. I've commented to my wife several times since, that I would've rather paid a little more for a TV that wasn't such an oddball that it was incompatible with universal remotes. I also commented several times that "I wish Dish made a learning remote, that would solve this annoying problem".

And, now, here it is!
I ordered two of them last week. For $20 each, I didn't even hesitate. I've suffered long enough.

They arrived quickly via UPS. Thanks Scott for the code chart. I used a Olevia TV code and that got me Volume, Mute, ON/Off, and Menu. Then I used Hybrid Learnig Mode to "teach" it the 5-Way Navigation buttons, Sleep, etc. The Olevia still sucks at reponding to the remote functions, but at least I don't have to fumble around for a second remote.

I also was thrilled not to have to do the "2 remote shuffle" anymore after getting the 21.0 remotes for my 242T &247TFHD Olevias in December. Also got one for my sisters' Olevia (237T) as a Xmas present. NONE of these are slow in responding to any of the remote functions.:confused:

Ed

.... NONE of these are slow in responding to any of the remote functions.:confused:

Ed

My Volume, Mute, On/Off, and 5-way Nav functions respond fairly well. But functions like Sleep, Input Selections, Brightness, etc: is like shooting craps. I might get a response every 4th time I press the button. And yes, that's pointing right at the IR window and allowing a second or two between presses.
But I still consider the Olevia to be a good value for the time of purchase and this new remote has eliminated my biggest frustration with this TV.

My Volume, Mute, On/Off, and 5-way Nav functions respond fairly well. But functions like Sleep, Input Selections, Brightness, etc: is like shooting craps. I might get a response every 4th time I press the button. And yes, that's pointing right at the IR window and allowing a second or two between presses.
But I still consider the Olevia to be a good value for the time of purchase and this new remote has eliminated my biggest frustration with this TV.

Strange.:confused: Sorry to hear that. Mine works fine with any function I select, no delay at all. Dunno why yours doesn't.....

Ed

Strange.:confused: Sorry to hear that. Mine works fine with any function I select, no delay at all. Dunno why yours doesn't.....

Ed

It is what it is: a cheap tv for the bedroom. It was that way with the Olevia's original remote, too. I don't know if it's poor IR reception on the tv's part or poor transmission from the original remote. For all I know, the 21.0 may have learned weak signals from the original remote. I'm not sure exactly how that works?

Anyway, the situation is so much better because of the 21.0 Remote. The convenience of consolidating down to one remote is great on it's own. :upThumbs up for Dish Network on this one!

power on 2 at once?

Well, I just ordered mine. Anyone know if it has the capability to power on my tv and receiver with the push of one button? It doesn't seem to, I just ask because my old moxi remote did.

Can I use the 21.0 remote with Dish's IR to UHF Pro Upgrade kit?

My current setup is a 622 box in the basement hooked up Component to the TV there. Then I have the TV1 mirrored HDMI to the Olevia TV upstairs. To control TV from upstairs I have Dish's IR-to-UHF Pro Upgrade Kit. This makes it nice because we never need to watch both TVs at once. We use the normal IR TV1 remote downstairs and the UHF kits remote upstairs. The only issue is that the UHF kit 10.1 remote does not work with my Olevia TV.

So today I got the 21.0 remote. But how do I get the 21.0 to work with the UHF kit? Dish Tech support chat says I cannot do it. In fact they say "The IR to UHF kit comes with the remote it is compatible with and can not be substituted. It is on a special frequency that the 21.0 remote does not provide. Only the remote that came with the IR to UHF kit is compatible. " But I would think there has to be some way to match the address on the 21 remote to whatever the 10.1 remote is doing? I mean I can control the TV1 via UHF with the 21.0 without using the UHF kit, but then the downstairs IR remote doesn't work anymore.

Can I use the 21.0 remote with Dish's IR to UHF Pro Upgrade kit?

My current setup is a 622 box in the basement hooked up Component to the TV there. Then I have the TV1 mirrored HDMI to the Olevia TV upstairs. To control TV from upstairs I have Dish's IR-to-UHF Pro Upgrade Kit. This makes it nice because we never need to watch both TVs at once. We use the normal IR TV1 remote downstairs and the UHF kits remote upstairs. The only issue is that the UHF kit 10.1 remote does not work with my Olevia TV.

So today I got the 21.0 remote. But how do I get the 21.0 to work with the UHF kit? Dish Tech support chat says I cannot do it. In fact they say "The IR to UHF kit comes with the remote it is compatible with and can not be substituted. It is on a special frequency that the 21.0 remote does not provide. Only the remote that came with the IR to UHF kit is compatible. " But I would think there has to be some way to match the address on the 21 remote to whatever the 10.1 remote is doing? I mean I can control the TV1 via UHF with the 21.0 without using the UHF kit, but then the downstairs IR remote doesn't work anymore.

I don't think you need that kit, I changed mine by flipping the key on the end of the 21.0

I don't think you need that kit, I changed mine by flipping the key on the end of the 21.0

Yes and no. I mean you are correct. I can get the 21 to work TV1 UHF, but I can't get it to work AND get the regular IR remote to control TV1 as well. And thats what I am trying to get the kit to let me do.

EDIT: Turns out my 622 was not taking the remote addressing properly. After a reboot, we go Menu-Menu to get to the Sys Info screen. Then I set my IR 10.1 remote and the 21.0 remote set to UHF to the same channel. Hit RECORD on the 21.0 remote to register it as an IR/UHF on the new channel. Hit Done, and then they both work. And, Dirtydan, you were right I did not end up having to use the kit. And the remote response time is way faster. SWEET ACTION!

Last edited:
I just got the remote. It took me a long time to program it to my vip722. I went to the menu from the receiver and i held the sat button and pressed info. The remote did that light thing and then nothing happened. It wasn't working. I went to the menu and pressed record so it was on the same channel. I held the sat button again and pressed info. It did the light thing and it didn't reboot. I decided to reboot the receiver myself. I went to the menu and TV1 had a different channel and I pressed record and it started working!

I'm having trouble making the 21.0 remote learning the "view" button from my olevia remote. Anyone else or is it just me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I'm following the instructions. :/

I'm having trouble making the 21.0 remote learning the "view" button from my olevia remote. Anyone else or is it just me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I'm following the instructions. :/

Are you entering the code for the tv, then adding extra functions with the learn function, all in one process?
Dan

Quick question for 21.0 remote owners, can you control TV2 with IR (instead of UHF) signals with these remotes? Or is control of TV2 only available with UHF signals like it is the old remotes (like the one with my 722)?

Yeah, and they told me they wouldn't work with my 622 &722 back in December..............B.S.:rolleyes: Get the remote. It WILL work with your 612!:)

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)