Dish Network 21.0 Learning Remote Instructions

Quick question for 21.0 remote owners, can you control TV2 with IR (instead of UHF) signals with these remotes? Or is control of TV2 only available with UHF signals like it is the old remotes (like the one with my 722)?

Sorry, TV2 IS only UHF.

Ed

Can anyone confirm that this applies to the 222k as well?

Well I guess I can't totally confirm it 'cause I don't have a 222K but I don't see how. As far as I can determine TV2 only accepts UHF and I believe the remote only sends out UHF when used as a remote for it.

Ed

Just got myself the new 21.0 remote to control my new TV that the 6.3 remote wouldn't.
Now the new remote won't control my secondary receiver with the AUX button.
Seems that while the 6.3 remote does IR\UHF(old style) with the AUX button, the new 21.0 does IR only.

Can anyone confirm that this applies to the 222k as well?

From the 222k Receiver Manual:

Changing UHF/IR Using the Switch

Your TV2 remote control has a switch to change from sending both IR and UHF signals to sending only IR. The switch comes preset to the UHF position, which sends both types of signals, but if you have a clear line of sight to the satellite receiver you’re controlling with this remote (for example, TV2 is in the same room with TV1), then you can change the setting to the IR position to lessen the likelihood of another UHF Pro remote control interfering with yours. This applies to TV2 in Dual User mode. To use TV2’s remoteinstead for TV1 in Single User mode, flip the blue 2 key to the side with the green 1.

1 Remove the battery cover from the back of the TV2 remote control.
2 Use a small screw driver or a paper clip to carefully change the switch setting.
3 Put the battery cover back on the remote control.
4 Use the SYSTEM INFO button on the front panel to open the System Information screen.
5 Press RECORD on the remote control.
6 Make sure the System Information screen shows the correct information:
Switch position UHF—IR/UHF Pro

Switch position IR—IR only.

Hope this answers your question.

I just got a 21.0 remote and so far I am impressed with it. One thing I am a little disappointed about is that you need to teach it all of the functions you want it to learn in one shot. If you forget one and want to go and add it you can't do it, you have to start again and teach it all of the buttons again. I replaced my Universal R7 with it and so far the 21.0 can do everything the Universal could do, and seems to be a lot sturdier.

One thing that you can do if you want to have the remote control your receiver and the TV on the TV function button is to teach it the volume buttons from your receiver remote. You can also have the receiver power be the red macro button or something if you want to get fancy. You don't have to train the Dish remote from the same OEM remote for every function - you can mix and match if it suits you. I will do some experimenting with chords and see if I can get it to learn two sequential commands from two different remotes for one button press. Has anyone else had any success with this yet?

Sorry if this has already been covered but...is there anyway to disable the default activity of the volume buttons always controlling the TV volume? I'd like to control my DVD player's volume directly (my DVD player does not play through TV speakers but separate ones).

You can program the unused color buttons to control the audio from your DVD player while in TV mode. Either that or you can press the DVD button and it should control the audio that way. If it doesn't, just teach the remote to use the volume buttons from your DVD player while you are in DVD mode.

You can program the unused color buttons to control the audio from your DVD player while in TV mode. Either that or you can press the DVD button and it should control the audio that way. If it doesn't, just teach the remote to use the volume buttons from your DVD player while you are in DVD mode.

1 . Thanks, but the volume buttons seem to 'fixed' on controlling TV volume while in DVD mode. I tried teaching the 21.0 but it didn't take.

2. It seems that the AUX mode is apparently the only one that can be toggled to control the volume of something other than the TV. I was able to toggle the 21.0 to control the DVD volume while in AUX mode...but the problem is that even in SAT mode, the volume buttons control the AUX (DVD) volume!!!

Any help on this would be appreciated. Has anyone been able to use the volume buttons to control anything other than the TV's volume?

Last edited:
1 . Thanks, but the volume buttons seem to 'fixed' on controlling TV volume while in DVD mode. I tried teaching the 21.0 but it didn't take.

2. It seems that the AUX mode is apparently the only one that can be toggled to control the volume of something other than the TV. I was able to toggle the 21.0 to control the DVD volume while in AUX mode...but the problem is that even in SAT mode, the volume buttons control the AUX (DVD) volume!!!

Any help on this would be appreciated. Has anyone been able to use the volume buttons to control anything other than the TV's volume?

"In AUX Mode Volume Override, the volume control defaults to the AUX mode instead of TV mode. In this mode, you cannot access TV volume at all. This is if you wish to use the TV as a monitor and control all volume through the stereo system."

TO PUT IN AUX MODE VOLUME OVERRIDE:

1.Press and hold the AUX mode button until all buttons light up.

2.Press #.

3.Press Volume +

4.Press 0.

5.Press #.

TO PUT BACK IN TV DEFAULT MODE:

1.Press and hold the TV mode button until all buttons light up.

2.Press #.

3.Press Volume +.

4.Press 0.

5.Press #.

This SHOULD work for virtually all Dish remotes such as the 6.0, 6.2, 6.3, 8.0 as well as the 21.0.:up

Yer welcome!:)

Ed

BTW, I haven't tried this myself. Got it off Dish tech portal. Good luck!

Last edited:
"In AUX Mode Volume Override, the volume control defaults to the AUX mode instead of TV mode. In this mode, you cannot access TV volume at all. This is if you wish to use the TV as a monitor and control all volume through the stereo system."

TO PUT IN AUX MODE VOLUME OVERRIDE:

1.Press and hold the AUX mode button until all buttons light up.

2.Press #.

3.Press Volume +

4.Press 0.

5.Press #.

TO PUT BACK IN TV DEFAULT MODE:

1.Press and hold the TV mode button until all buttons light up.

2.Press #.

3.Press Volume +.

4.Press 0.

5.Press #.

This SHOULD work for virtually all Dish remotes such as the 6.0, 6.2, 6.3, 8.0 as well as the 21.0.:up

Yer welcome!:)

Ed

BTW, I haven't tried this myself. Got it off Dish tech portal. Good luck!

Thanks, Ed, I also saw this on the portal but as I described in my post I was seeking a solution that would allow me to control TV volume while in SAT mode (not lose control altogether).

But, did you try--as was suggested by dlsnyder--in DVD or AUX (DVD) mode programming e.g. the Red, Green and Yellow keys to control the DVD mute, volume up, and volume down functions? (I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but making sure we have covered all possible solutions that might help.)

Your TV2 remote control has a switch to change from sending both IR and UHF signals to sending only IR. The switch comes preset to the UHF position, which sends both types of signals, but if you have a clear line of sight to the satellite receiver you’re controlling with this remote (for example, TV2 is in the same room with TV1), then you can change the setting to the IR position to lessen the likelihood of another UHF Pro remote control interfering with yours. This applies to TV2 in Dual User mode. To use TV2’s remoteinstead for TV1 in Single User mode, flip the blue 2 key to the side with the green 1.

2 Use a small screw driver or a paper clip to carefully change the switch setting.
4 Use the SYSTEM INFO button on the front panel to open the System Information screen.

I have the 222k and have been trying to do this exact thing. I need tv2 to be IR and cannot get this to work. When switched to IR, it ends up controlling TV1 instead of TV2. Has anyone been able to make this work?

Range of New Remote

I was wondering if the range on this new remote is better? I have always had a problem with the remote on tv2 in my bedroom. I have to move it all around to find where it will work. Sometime I point it right at the tv and it works fine, other times I have to point it at the ceiling or a side wall. Seen like the signal moves around.

I was wondering if the range on this new remote is better?

I use mmy 21.0 upstairs and then on the opposite side of the house from where the box is, and it works much better than the old remote. Response time is definitely faster with the 21.0 (though not as fast as IR) where I don't get the huge hesitation like I sometimes would with the old remote.

So maybe that doesn't exactly answer your question of range, since I have not tried it any farther away than I did before. But at least the response time is better, so I would guess the range is better too? Or maybe I am just rambling because I have not had enough coffee this morning... :what

EDIT: As others have observed, this does NOT work as described in the 222k Receiver Manual. A better description would be--

This applies to TV2 in Single Mode. To use TV2’s remote instead for TV1 in Dual Mode, flip the blue 2 key to the side with the green 1.

or more simply put--

Switch position UHF—controls TV2
Switch position IR—controls TV1

i have a 622 and an Onkyo HDMI receiver... just got the 21.0 IR/UHF Pro in the mail, programmed the AUX code for the Onkyo and it's not performing as accurate as teh 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote was.

example: line of sight
with the 6.3 it didn't matter if the remote didn't have exact line of sight, the volumne would still change
with the 21.0 line of sight is required...
i'm not saying i could operate the volumne of the ONKYO from the other room, but from the couch the 6.3 would work "through" the coffee table or before i could point the 6.3 up vertically and get a signal across... the 21.0 has to be horizontal and almost pointed directly at the onkyo receiver

any thoughts? thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)