Dish Network - 4K question

n4bbq

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Dahlonega, Ga
I have a 4K TV and want to enable Dish's 4K channels.

Do I only need to purchase a Joey and have it activated? I don't want nor need the DVR function of the Hopper.

Thanks!

You have 2 choices, and they both cost about the same, depending on how many tvs. You can get a Hopper 3 and use it on the 4k tv, or you can use a Hopper with sling and get a 4k Joey for the 4k tv(neutered version) for less 4k content. Either way a Hopper is needed. Joeys are clients to the Hopper(Host).

and they only have one 4K channel right now that shows Planet Earth 2, a limited series. They also have a few, very few, PPV movies available.

and they only have one 4K channel right now that shows Planet Earth 2, a limited series. They also have a few, very few, PPV movies available.
bobby is right about that about the less important content of 4k programming on dish right now with directv showing nascar in 4k cmon dish do you want people who love nascar to go to directv

bobby is right about that about the less important content of 4k programming on dish right now with directv showing nascar in 4k cmon dish do you want people who love nascar to go to directv
NASCAR is so 10 years ago. Have you been to a race lately. know they removed grandstands at Daytona and Michigan.
Everything went to sh*t in 94 when they allowed those boats to race at Indy. They have no business there. Same year that DB Tony George split the indy car series and ruined that. Racing has never been the same since,all series blow big chunks now F1 included.
Used to live for Sunday.
Sorry for going off topic and rant.:coco:coco

My main TV went out over the weekend--no picture from any source. I have a HWS and am looking at a LG55UH7700--it's on sale for $899.99 at a local appliance store and they deliver and set-up.
I am verifying that the HWS will work with a 4k TV--I just would get any 4K programming until I upgrade to a Hopper 3,correct
Thanks!
Sorry to piggyback another thread--I hope this is okay.

Last edited:
People who like NASCAR will not go to DirecTV, but will, instead, go to Fire island, WeHo, Floriday Keys, and Laguna Beach:).

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you want 4k from Dish, or for that matter atmos or dtsx, just go stand outside and hold your breath. When you wake back up after passing out go buy an Oppo bdp203 blu ray player and BUY some 4k movies (Netflix doesn't rent them).

You can also just use the Netflix and/or amazon apps built into your new 4k tv. They have substantially better picture quality than the compressed crap that satellite companies offer, and you might get a little 7.1 sound with them too. Very little 11.1 sound content anywhere at this point except on a few UHD Blu-ray discs.

Yes - I have an 11.1 atmos/dtsx system (actually 7.1.4). My home flooded on 3/11/16, and destroyed my Golden ear triton 2 tower speakers (5.1 system).

In an effort to increase the WAF I went with golden ear satellites on the wall for front left, right, and center. I moved the audio and networking equipment from a credenza under the tv into a rotating rack in the a/c return plenum, and also located the new sub on the floor there.

Lastly - I added 8 goldenear ceiling speakers for the rear and side surrounds and atmos speakers.

So far there is a scarcity of 11.1 source material, but more and more every day. Even 7.1 is awesome.

There is a noticeable difference between netflix from dish and native from the tv app. We no longer watch any netflix from dish or any dish on demand. My LG oled tv came with amazon, netflix, hulu, etc. built in and the picture quality is simply stunning.

Everything on my Hopper w/sling just looks muddy and soft now. Can't wait for them to catch up....

PS - the Hearst debacle caused us to lose our NBC affiliate. I replaced the old faulty preamp from my tv antenna,and got OTA locals working again. I forgot just how much better locals are OTA than through dish. Can't wait for football season now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)