This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish Network and Netflix

I mostly signed up for the streaming services for content I couldn't find anywhere else, or that I already didn't own. While I exhausted content from all 3 services within the first month or 2, I found it more convenient to keep Hulu for their easy account hold feature. I just recently got another offer for a free trial of Amazon Prime which I just activated for the shipping mostly.

While they may not have the identical ecosystem as Apple, my point is that if Dish can keep their subs confined to the receiver, it's a win win for them.

While they may not have the identical ecosystem as Apple, my point is that if Dish can keep their subs confined to the receiver, it's a win win for them.
Why is it better for Dish to provide competitive programming from competitive providers that not only do not produce revenue, but may actually reduce it through cancelled or reduced packages from subs who would rather watch the easy and convenient Netflix and other streaming apps, while confined to the Hopper?

The only thing confining subs to a Dish rcvr is the stuff on their DVR and/or EHD.

It's like the old saying, " if you can't beat them, join them."

One thing we have to remember is anyone involved here isn't the average consumer. When I talk about dish retaining customers by getting the consumer hooked on the hopper interface I am talking about the majority not the minority here. Most people hate change when what they have is working for them. If you can provide an interface that allows people to streamline usage they will stick with that esp if it does it well. Imagine being able to surf the web from the hopper or the joeys, updating Facebook feeds, responding to twitter, watching netflix, recording programs and taking them with you via sling technology. If dish can get them hooked they will stay with the hopper system.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would love to have it all on the Hopper. I agree that not having to change inputs would be a plus. More and more of new TV models are getting rid of inputs in order to save money, so to have one device that does it all would be great. I love my Roku but would use the features it offers more if they were on my Hopper. It would be awesome if the Hopper had the HBOgo app.

Can't you already use Twitter and Facebook with the Hopper? You can do a lot of that stuff with the Dish Explorer app too.

Yes. It would be great to have Netflix and other Roku apps on the Hopper. I just don't see the Dish offering ones that draw subs away from higher-revenue package tiers and premium packages.

OTOH, HBO Go app would be awesome, and would not only enhance the experience for HBO subs, but may act as a draw for new subs. Same for Epix app. And, perhaps they can customize a Hulu app to filter only the programming you pay for, like it does on Dish Anywhere, or the way the built-in OnDemand feature already does.

They also need to get on board with Showtime's on-demand offerings. Not only can Dish subs not use the streaming Showtime app, we don't even have Showtime available thru the standard Dish on-demand system. That's not good.

Can't you already use Twitter and Facebook with the Hopper? You can do a lot of that stuff with the Dish Explorer app too.
Hey. YOU try entering text using the remote.

Personally, I don't understand why they haven't enabled keyboard functionality thru USB and/or Bluetooth. AFAIK, they've done it for mouse. Why no keyboard? It would make search, and social apps, much easier to use.

I agree with this. I used to sub to Netflix but I was the only one that used it. Wife and kids turn on the tv and use the Dish remote. They never change the input on the tv so they never watched Netflix. If Dish adds an app to the hopper/joeys for Netflix I will start subscribing to Netflix again.

I thought they had, or am I confusing this with some other product. I thought someone hooked up a particular brand of keyboard and it worked.

A smartphone app would be better than nothing.
Using a dedicated wireless keyboard would be easy "peasy".

You would be correct if keyboards were common in the living room. But since they aren't in most households, but smartphones are, I'd think smartphone app would be preferred by the average user.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You would be correct if keyboards were common in the living room. But since they aren't in most households, but smartphones are, I'd think smartphone app would be preferred by the average user.
That's because there's generally nothing to use them with there. OTOH,people with HTPC's, Google TV's, and similar devices have keyboards in their LR's. And, if the Hopper was a keyboard-friendly device, plenty of those users would too.

As for me, my smartphone isn't always in the LR, either. Nor is my tablet. They need occasional charging. The tab is often in the BR.

Don't get me wrong. I would certainly like a Dish smartphone app, a la the wonderful Roku app. But, I would prefer to be able to use a wireless keyboard with touchpad. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070

But that's just it. Most people don't have HTPCs or Google TV. Members on this forum aren't representative of the general public with regards to these things. I think overall a smartphone app would be useful to more people than wireless keyboard support.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys