Dish Network at GITMO?

GermanDawg

Original poster
May 3, 2011
Georgia
My Family and I are relocating from Germany to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and I have heard conflicting stories about the availability of Dish Network programming there. The Naval Air Station Website says that there are two bars on base that have either Dish Network or Direct TV but I have called both services and they both say that they do not service Cuba. The problem is that we will not technically be in "Cuba" but only on the same island as Cuba and I am not certain that the call center person understands this. The Navy base is now and has been for some time U.S. soil. I have been told by people who have lived there that lots of people get Dish Network and Direct TV at GITMO and that the only requirement is a larger dish (80 cm???) and of course a receiver. I am not certain that these people may not be talking about stealing the signal though, something that I am not interested in doing. I have a 104 cm dish here in Germany that I have used for years with a dual LNB. The base is located about 400 miles almost due south of Miami. Does anyone know if it is possible to legally subscribe to either service at GITMO?

I don't think Dish will ship you receivers as a "new" customer at all. You'll have to buy them yourself outright and then subscribe.

Are you in the military ? I found a "welcome packet" for military personnel but it only mentions cable TV service. I thought it might say "satellite service is available from DirecTV and Dish Network..." and give phone numbers for them (I suspect it would be a different number than normal).

Grey area.

Best bet is to contact someone there, perhaps the person you're replacing.

I'm digging around looking for some info on this.

I didn't think that we serviced Cuba (legally), but could very well be wrong

Tony is saying that he saw something about us servicing a military base in Cuba, but we can't seem to find the info on it.

I'm gonna keep digging, I'll let you guys know if I find anything

So.....

I couldn't find anything on internal site, or via Google saying that we offer services in GITMO (or Cuba)

As was recommended, I would ask the person you are replacing, or see if there's any way to contact someone down there who has the service, and ask them if they are receiving our service legally.

Just set up the dish and bring your receivers and call DISH and give them a US address for service address. You might need to use a Miami address for locals so you would get locals. Essentially you would be on your own for servicing your dish ,but you would get DISH programming. You would now become a "mover" like many of us here on this board.

A 922 at a friends house while using the sling feature works amazing in a remote location. Of course an adapter would get the same effects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)