DISH Network Charges Forward With Another Round of National HD Channel Launches

This should stop the complainers, for awhile. At least until they start bitching about lack of HD content, on all these supposedly HD channels.

Patience Grasshopper!
No, there's still some pretty popular missing channels in the list (like FX, Speed, and some others). That said, Dish is making a really nice start here!!!

as said upthread, FX, Speed are owned by FOX which is in a lawsuit with Dish. Don't expect either of them until said suit is settled.

They have only had the space at 61.5 for a few weeks now, this is why they were doing all the shuffling of channels around.

I think it was smart of them to wait a few more days as now they got a bigger bang for their buck instead of having 2 HD channels launching here and there.
Yes Dish freed up the key space a little over 2 weeks ago by switching the NY and Boston etc. to spots on 61.5. And obviously Dish could have turned on more (perhaps ALL of this) HD that very day, since Dish almost immediately up-linked 7 legacy MPEG2 HD channels to TP21. But off course they didn't. Just like they didn't make SciFi HD and USA HD available even though space was clearly available for months.

FWIW I spent way too long working around top level executives in multinational corps, to buy the "legal/licensing issues", "tough price negotiations" and "technical issues" excuses as the primary reason for not providing Dish subs with some additional National HD sooner. Whether releasing 19 new HD channels all at the same time was Plan A or Plan B, it was strategic - pure and simple.

Talon Dancer

p.s. FWIW I have been pretty happy with Dish since I switched to the dishHD (only) package and consider this batch of new HD channels a nice addition.

Hey Scott,

Do you know if Comcast Sportsnet New England HD will be a 24/7 feed, or games only? This latest batch of channel launches (especially CSNNE HD) has me considering Dish (since my HOA won't allow me to get DirecTV, only Dish). Also, I thought that NESN HD was games only, am I right on that one? Thanks.

Hey Scott,

Do you know if Comcast Sportsnet New England HD will be a 24/7 feed, or games only? This latest batch of channel launches (especially CSNNE HD) has me considering Dish (since my HOA won't allow me to get DirecTV, only Dish). Also, I thought that NESN HD was games only, am I right on that one? Thanks.

Tell your HOA to read this page:
FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

and then get whichever provider YOU want.

They can't do that, in other words.

Yes Dish freed up the key space a little over 2 weeks ago by switching the NY and Boston etc. to spots on 61.5. And obviously Dish could have turned on more (perhaps ALL of this) HD that very day, since Dish almost immediately up-linked 7 legacy MPEG2 HD channels to TP21. But off course they didn't. Just like they didn't make SciFi HD and USA HD available even though space was clearly available for months.

FWIW I spent way too long working around top level executives in multinational corps, to buy the "legal/licensing issues", "tough price negotiations" and "technical issues" excuses as the primary reason for not providing Dish subs with some additional National HD sooner. Whether releasing 19 new HD channels all at the same time was Plan A or Plan B, it was strategic - pure and simple.

Talon Dancer

It wouldn't surprise me if part of the strategy involved launching SciFi HD and USA HD early to quiet the vocal majority here and on the other satellite forums.

Yes they will, that $30 HD only package is starting to become the best deal in television. :)

I would drop down to it, but my wife loves Tru TV which is not in HD.
For us, about the only thing keeping us from moving to the HD only package is TCM/Turner Classic Movies. HD Net Movies and occasional older movies on VOOM seem to be the only current way to see older movies in HD. When TCM starts showing their library in HD, that my be when we move to an HD only package.

Hey Scott,

CSN New England HD is game only and NESN HD is a full time station.

Talon Dancer

p.s. FWIW I have been pretty happy with Dish since I switched to the dishHD (only) package and consider this batch of new HD channels a nice addition.

I wouldn't bet on anything.

It could have been strategic, could have been technical, could have been contractual, anything. We've all got to stop thinking that we have an "inside source" at Dish that is feeding us accurate, precise, up-to-date information. While Scott's sources are sometimes correct (and his rumours are very much appreciated) they very often don't know any more than retailers. I'm sure there were very good reasons for the way Dish chose to launch the channels (e.g. weird contractual details, technical/uplink issues) but we simply weren't privy to them. We might as well look at all this as a big black box and just enjoy what comes out.