Dish network comes out tomorrow to...

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
install my dish but I have a question for ya.

Is it absolutely neccessary for my system to be grounded? I live on the second floor not the 200th but 5yrs ago or so when I had Directv they couldn't ground it therefore I had to run my system like I always do thru a surge protector.

I'm wanting Dish to install the dish on the second floor balcony 'on' or near the railing.

I'm a newbie here but would appreciate a response.

I've grown tired of the pixelization on Time Warner Cable and therefore decided to make the switch. Looking forward to a better picture than what I'm currenty viewing.

Thank you.

my system not grounded for 5 years now and it still works fine. it's just E* and D* requirements so they are not liable if something happens to you're dish.

volkodav said:
my system not grounded for 5 years now and it still works fine. it's just E* and D* requirements so they are not liable if something happens to you're dish.

E and D???

Let me ask a second question, what would happen if the Dish took a hit (lightning)? Would it be better for it to be grounded or will the surge protector do the job?

I had Directv for 3 or so years ungrounded.

Thank you for your quick response.

E* Dish net. D* Directv. if lightning hits your dish that surge protector wont save your equipment.

Dave nye said:
nor will grounding.
The ground is for static thats all, it's not a protection from lightning.

really? I didn't know that.

So if Dish comes out tomorrow and says they can't ground it, go ahead? It seems safe from what yall are telling me.

My main concern (and reason I left Directv) is that I would be watching satellite during bad weather and something happens and all my electronics plugged into the 'surge protector' is ruined.

I appreciate all you guys help!

when they come out tomorrow if they refuse to do the job because you have no ground, have them call their FSM (manager) and talk to him. also say that you will get electrician bring a grout wire out of electrical out let later.

The nuts & bolts of grounding is it must be done to National Electric Code (NEC) standards. So, if you don't ground, expect to sign a wavier releasing the installer (and Dish Network) of any liability. It'll all come down to who your insurance company sues to recover their money when you make a claim for lightning damage. I would make sure its grounded by the installer, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

The RSP I work with allows for no grounding on apartment complexes. As long as it's properly noted, they feel they're in the clear in the event of any insurance claims. I'm not here to argue to the legitimacy of said statemen (no flaming...please!!). Just stating the facts.

With regards to Yragha's install, you should *knock on wood* have no problems.

Well, guess it's a mute point now...

Dish (automated service) just called notifying me my $49.99 will be applied back to me. I was like wtf? I called the "installer" that I saw advertised on the internet and they told me the contractor or whatever was out and couldn't find suitable grounds.

Le'ts back the wagon up to a week ago, I tried to go directly thru Dishnetwork and the same thing happened. This is b.s. IMO.

When I set this up a week ago one of the reps. told me more than likely it could be grounded but this really sucks. I'm not happy with my cable company's picture quality and I"m at wits end. Back in 99 or whatever I bought my own Directv equipemnt, maybe that's the only reason Directv contractor installed it and made me sign that waiver.

Boy o boy.

BTW, to everyone yall have made my first experience here a very pleasurable one.

TO ALL: Thank you.

i have friend who works for the San Antonio office, and they are much more strict about grounding down there. Every job has to be grounded, if there is no ground so they are required to cancel. The only way you'd be able to get dish if you are going to stay in that apt is to talk the landlord into letting you install a ground source.

If you read the NEC code (810. or 820.0 I think) you will note that the only grounds exceptable are cold water pipe and some thing conected to the primary ground of the electric for your home. Examples include service panel, main ground line, meter pan. A seperate ground rod is not exceptable unless it is bound to the main ground. In short it is nearly imposible to properly ground a 2nd floor apt. NEC will agree to this fact.

The solution is have the next installer ground the lines to your nearest cold water pipe, under the kitchen sink or in the bath room. then sign off on the job and he will leave.

My kids make realy cool things with #10 ground wire the cut from where ever.

mikethedishguy said:
If you read the NEC code (810. or 820.0 I think) you will note that the only grounds exceptable are cold water pipe and some thing conected to the primary ground of the electric for your home. Examples include service panel, main ground line, meter pan. A seperate ground rod is not exceptable unless it is bound to the main ground. In short it is nearly imposible to properly ground a 2nd floor apt. NEC will agree to this fact.
The solution is have the next installer ground the lines to your nearest cold water pipe, under the kitchen sink or in the bath room. then sign off on the job and he will leave.
My kids make realy cool things with #10 ground wire the cut from where ever.

according to Dish we can only ground to cold water pipe that's not over 6ft from where it comes in to house and main ground wire that goes to ground rod. we are not supposed to ground to panel in case if electricians have to service panel and they wont hook ground wire back. ( and i rely don't like newer houses because of PVC pluming)

I must say this really really sucks cause I was looking forward to a better looking picture.

Oh well, at least I have the franchise fees:cool: to look forward to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)