Dish Network Corp. (DISH) founder Charlie Ergen said he may permanently drop Time Warner Inc.

A word of advice to Turner Broadcasting: When you fight with Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen, use a bazooka not a pea shooter. Turner quietly noted on a website today that the satellite company’s 14 million subscribers soon might lose TNT and TBS — a contrast to CBS, which just issued a noisy call-to-arms to its fans who might see network-owned stations go dark on Dish as early as Thursday. Turner says that it also plans spots on TNT and TBS, online ads, a social media campaign, and billboards in Atlanta.
Dish hasn’t aired Turner’s other networks, including CNN, since late October. “Efforts in recent weeks to restore the Turner networks to Dish customers have been rejected at every turn by Dish leadership,” the Time Warner unit says today. “The upcoming expiration on December 5 of our carriage agreement for TNT and TBS means Dish may drop those networks as well. We remain hopeful that we will reach an agreement that restores our networks to the air and eliminates the risk of Dish removing additional Turner networks from its channel lineup.”

deadline.com
In other words "We need Dish more than they need us."

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The news channels think it is so important to be the first to break news that they will say whatever they hear first instead of checking facts first it seems.
Actually they had all the facts. It was the attack on the Synagogue in Jerusalem. CNN left out the fact that two of the deceased were the Palestinian attackers that murdered the 4 Israelis who were there for services.
Why this detail was edited out is a question for the story editors at CNN.
This type of thing may very well be a contributor to CNN's slumping ratings.
Needless to say, Time Warner had better take stock of the fact that CNN is a less valuable channel in terms of the rate they can charge.
I do not think Time Warner can afford to lose 16 million potential viewers by keeping their channel(s) off Dish.
As far as I am concerned, Time Warner can keep CNN.....

To the avg consumer, these niche channels are the clutter in the hallway that leads to the bedrooms in their home.
Depends on the niche channel. There are some niche channels that have better content than some of the more popular channels. Popularity and quality are not necessarily synonymous.

If anything, the varied and diverse tastes of the populace is a compelling argument for ala carte.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Depends on the niche channel. There are some niche channels that have better content than some of the more popular channels. Popularity and quality are not necessarily synonymous.

If anything, the varied and diverse tastes of the populace is a compelling argument for ala carte.
Of course it is.
I was simply pointing out that the majority of pay subs do not view these niche channels.

I looked at that, and it looks like that got dropped, by the two senators that proposed it. They said that if there is any chance of it passing in the future, they had to let it go, this time around.

What replacement channels will there be for TNT and TBS? WGN and FXX? Maybe Dish will throw in NBA TV,too. Of course, this will not do too much for the AT200, AT250, and above subs.

Dish of course knows exactly how much demand for any channel, the set top boxes call in via phone or internet every night to report on viewing habits.
Just because people have a channel displaying on their TV doesn't mean that there is demand for that channel. I am sure my wife isn't the only person that turns on the TV while she does other things just for background noise.

Just because people have a channel displaying on their TV doesn't mean that there is demand for that channel. I am sure my wife isn't the only person that turns on the TV while she does other things just for background noise.
You can get a pretty clear idea though, when you multiply those numbers by 14M customers.

Does she randomly pick a channel or does she like certain channels on in the background... Advertisers know there are a lot of listen only "viewers", multitasking and TV is very common.

Does she randomly pick a channel or does she like certain channels on in the background... Advertisers know there are a lot of listen only "viewers", multitasking and TV is very common.

If there is a show with wedding dresses on (either trying them on or trying to win a contest) then that channel gets picked first. Then if one of those isn't available then if someone in Las Vegas is trying to flip homes, that is the channel that gets picked. Finally if someone has a game show involving people cooking food then that is the channel that gets picked. She watches it for a little while then a long commercial block shows up and she drifts off to doing something else.

The only thing she really watches with focus is NFL Football games.

The background noise around here is usually Fox News during the day, CNN and HN not missed much except to check to see once in awhile how they are slanting a particular news story

The background noise around here is usually Fox News during the day, CNN and HN not missed much except to check to see once in awhile how they are slanting a particular news story
I do (or did) just the opposite. CNN on in the background and once in a while flip to others to see the "slant".
I miss CNN, Comcast is available at my new home so if this thing goes on much longer I may switch.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just had my first customer come in and ask what was going on with HLN and that he was upset. How long has it been now, like a month since they dropped? My wife and my mom had no idea they were gone. I made sure I let the guy know that he was my first complaint since they dropped since I was happy I had finally heard from someone that noticed they dropped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts