Dish Network Damaged my television set!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I have the 522 DVR and as a result of Dish, my Sony rear projection tv has a burn in problem . When you hit the freeze button, it "burned-in" the lines on the bottom of the screen (time elapsed, channel, etc).

Has anyone else had this problem? Dish should at least create a screen saver to prevent this damage.

How long did you leave it frozen?

There may be a very small possible risk of screen burn under specific conditions, in which the display is permanently showing a particular channel, in which the brightness has been set at too high a level and where there is some static and high luminance detail. In addition these conditions would need to apply continuously for some considerable length of time for there to be even the smallest risk of any damage.

Well, that sucks that it burned in. I know the old 7200s had a screen saver that would kick in if you were on one of the menu screens or had the tv paused.

However, you should have realized that pausing it like that and leaving your tv on for a long time would result in the burn in... Sure it would be nice if they had a screen saver, but its not really their fault you left it paused. :(

In the last Tech. chat they talked about not adding the screen saver feature to the DVRs. They said that to cause damage to a TV screen, it will have to be paused for a few hours and the pause feature will automatically start playing after an hour or two, can't remember how long.

I guess they need to do more testing.

I have a 2005 (last year's) model 60-inch Sony rear LCD that I've been using with Dish for a year now -- no issues such as what you describe.

I'm guessing you left that puppy on pause for a looooong time!

Even plasmas, which are far more susceptible to burn-in than rear LCD, wouldn't be damaged unless you had the DVR on pause for quite some time.

Dish tried to kill me

If you think that that is bad, Dish tried to kill me.

Once I was watching Dish TV and instead of reaching into the bowl of popcorn, I instead reached into a bowl of broken glass that I had there. Dish Nearly killed me.

Plus there was the time that Dish tried to kill me when I was adding some on LNBs while my roof was wet. I nearly fell.

Yep, that's too bad. But blaming Dish because you misused their product isn't really fair. If you want to find the real culprit here, take a good long look in the bathroom mirror. Sorry...

NightRyder

RandallA said:
In the last Tech. chat they talked about not adding the screen saver feature to the DVRs. They said that to cause damage to a TV screen, it will have to be paused for a few hours and the pause feature will automatically start playing after an hour or two, can't remember how long.

A lot would have to do with how the set was adjusted. A properly adjusted set would take a lot longer to burn-in then a set in "flame Thrower" mode.

NightRyder

You don't have to leave the DVR status indicator on the screen in one long setting for a burn to eventually appear. If you would pause the screen every night for say 15-20 minutes, after a few months, that image could burn in on a set that is susceptible to burn-in, like a CRT RP or a plasma.

Same is true for channel logos and news tickers. You could certainly get burn in from watching too much ESPN as they use a lot of tickers and prominent logos. And it is very true if you watch 4:3 programming in its native aspect ratio, with black bars on the sides. If there are shows where you don't want to stretch or zoom them because you want to watch in OAR, then always use the graybar 4:3 mode.

To reduce the chance of screen burn in, you should:

A) Make sure your set is properly adjusted for brightness and contrast. If set too high, it will burn in much faster.

B) When you pause a DVR for more than a few minutes, set the TV to a "snow" channel, or a blank video input. This is especially important if you do this frequently.

If you buy a TV that is susceptible to burn-in, and then you don't take steps to avoid burn-in, then it is not Dish's or CNN's or ESPN's fault when you get burn-in.

If you READ your owner's manual, it clearly warns of the danger in viewing images with static displays. Your bad, not Dish's. :no

David Dietzel said:
I have a 2005 (last year's) model 60-inch Sony rear LCD that I've been using with Dish for a year now -- no issues such as what you describe.

I'm guessing you left that puppy on pause for a looooong time!

Even plasmas, which are far more susceptible to burn-in than rear LCD, wouldn't be damaged unless you had the DVR on pause for quite some time.

Huh?
Actually, LCD (rear or panel), have 0 susceptibility to burn-in. This applies to all digital projection technolodies (DLP, LCOS, etc).

That's why I don't want Plasma or rear projection CRT (direct view CRT take a long time to burn-in).

Since I have a DLP, I perfectly happy having the GUI screens stay up indefinately (I prefer this). Dish could add a screen saver OPTION. But, the bottom line is that you can't blame Dish for the deficiencies of your chosen display technology and how you use it.

RandallA said:

Dish is wrong on this point. There is a cumulative effect on CRT phosphors from pausing for an hour every day, or even every third day. Most people are aware of burn-ins from static screens or static areas on a screen that are locked in place for several hours, but are less informed on cumulative effects.

We have plasmas in our workplace where images were in a constant rotation, changing every minute, with most of them having moving images. But a particular fixed screen with a bright border was also in the rotation. After several months, that border burned into the display, despite it never having been on the screen for more than one minute consecutively.

LCD rear projection is not totally impervious to screen burn-in. There are many documented cases of this happening. I'm not sure it is permanent, it is usually referred to as "image retention" and I believe it can be "cured" by running several hours of a "snow/noise" image through it. But seeing it in a home TV is very rare.

Perhaps "burn-in" isn't the correct term to use when describing lasting image shadows on sets using LCD technology -- I have seen this occur -- perhaps it's a "stuck or fatigued" pixel issue, rather than "burn-in".

For that matter, what is the engineering definition of what people refer to as "burn-in"?

I've seen severe "burn-in" on plasma sets, which is why I avoided buying one.

Those who know the engineering and physics behind this "image retention" phenomenon that apears to a higher or lesser degree on various displays could perhaps discuss the issue and post some links to good online explanations of these "ghosts" that can haunt our living rooms.

Cyclone said:
If you think that that is bad, Dish tried to kill me.

Once I was watching Dish TV and instead of reaching into the bowl of popcorn, I instead reached into a bowl of broken glass that I had there. Dish Nearly killed me.

Plus there was the time that Dish tried to kill me when I was adding some on LNBs while my roof was wet. I nearly fell.

:haha

If you are going to pause a program for a long period, why don't u just turn the tv off when u leave and just keep the reciever on. Seems simple to me! ;)

If you notice, Dish wisely puts on a screen saver when you listen to the Sirius music stations. They should do the same with the "pause" function of the DVR as well. It is a simple software update for Dish to do.

I never really left it on, but the problem accumulated to an extent. To be honest , the Fox News Logo is also burned in on the bottom left.

I think rear-projection CRT is flawed technology. Is it being replaced by lcd?

In the meantime, Dish should reimburse me for my damage!

mitchflorida said:
I never really left it on, but the problem accumulated to an extent. To be honest , the Fox News Logo is also burned in on the bottom left.

:D .
Let's see, what Dish did to your TV. Did it turned on remotely ( :D )? No.
Did Dish switched automatically to Fox News ( :D )? No.
What if you use cable or DirecTV instead? You think you will get different results?

mitchflorida said:
If you notice, Dish wisely puts on a screen saver when you listen to the Sirius music stations. They should do the same with the "pause" function of the DVR as well. It is a simple software update for Dish to do.

I think rear-projection CRT is flawed technology. Is it being replaced by lcd?

Good luck with that one,lol.:shocked

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)