Dish Network: Distant Networks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Actually it isa month old. And the date of 8/23 appears at the end of th article. It also mentions that DISH closed the day at 31.67---which last occurred in August. It si bing published noe but it discusses events froma amonth ago.

Last edited:
boy921 said:
You better take a good look at this new article that talks about the decision for Sept 21, 06 DNS matter. It is not a month old.

It's a NEW post of an OLD article.

Chris Walker said:
This is old news, this happened about a month ago.
Your right. My bad. Sorry.

Geronimo said:
Actually it isa month old. And the date of 8/23 appears at the end of th article. It also mentions that DISH closed the day at 31.67---which last occurred in August. It si bing published noe but it discusses events froma amonth ago.
I ditto what sweetbronxyankee says, "Good eye Geronimo."

HDTVFanAtic said:
LOL...earlier in this thread and others you indicated it would happen virtually overnight because you were fired in the broadcast field and had an axe to grind. Now its not for a while.

Can you please keep a consistent timeline for at least one thread?

1. Changes ARE happening overnight... http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing

However to changing the model will take some time.

2. I quit broadcasting to make real money.

Hi, Guys,
Yesterday I received an email from Dish requesting that I resubmit my application for an rv waiver. Seems they have to requalify. I wonder if this is the start of requalifying everyone for the distant networks, just starting with the RV/Trucker waivers. My waiver app is ready to mail:D If this is what it takes, and it seems logical that this is the rational solution, I'm happy. We rv fulltime, and this is the only way to receive networks much of the time.

Received the following letter from my Senator today.

NightRyder

Attachments

• E_0002.pdf
    248.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Thanks for posting the letter. It is nice to see a response anyway.

But let me see if I can translate that from government speak to everyday English:

Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.tough noogiesBlahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.Blahblablahbablah.

Sinceraly yours...

See ya
Tony

I thought the response was better than just "blah blah blah." He said he thought the decision was right under the law; but he also criticized Fox News Corp. for its position. I would say the senator (or I should say his staff) was pretty well informed about the issue.

The challenge is that legislators are in bed with the broadcasters, who pump millions of dollars into their campaign coffers; it wil be hard to get many to take the position, "let us choose what network feeds to get." They see the local economic impact as too important.

Ok I have bit my tongue long enough. I have to ask this. I do not get what all the fuss is about. I live in Birmingham Alabama so I want Birmingham Locals. I can not imagine why any one would want locals from a distant city. I do not care you got elected to the city council, what the weather will be tomorrow, or what's going on in general in New York city, Atlanta, or California. I want my local news. Why would you want another cities locals?

AlaJoe said:
Ok I have bit my tongue long enough. I have to ask this. I do not get what all the fuss is about. I live in Birmingham Alabama so I want Birmingham Locals. I can not imagine why any one would want locals from a distant city. I do not care you got elected to the city council, what the weather will be tomorrow, or what's going on in general in New York city, Atlanta, or California. I want my local news. Why would you want another cities locals?

Some people can't get any locals, which makes DNS essential.

Others, like me, really enjoyed having NY and LA locals; it gave the ability to record network feeds at different times; imagine watching Leno at 9:30pm. I could! (could because I don't have the DNS anymore, when I went HD, there didn't seem to be as compelling an argument for SD distant locals).

Plus, the NY and LA feeds provide a totally different perspective on the world from what most people, out of those areas, experience. I will never forget watching the events of 9-11 on WABC out of NY. It was a totally different experience than just watching the network feeds.

The thing that I find silly about the network affiliate's arguments is that if you watch someone else's locals, you won't get the advertising that is essential to local economies. YET, in the age of the DVR and the TiVO, no one watches ANY commercials!!! I sure don't, and that includes annoying political ads! :)

I have distants. (Live in a white area, had distants before locals were available) When I called Dish today to add a movie package they asked to verify my home address. I've never been asked that when I have called in over seven years. Could they be starting to requalify?

I also enjoy being able to come home from some trip to the store, or whatever, that takes longer than expected, show I wanted to watch is already over... I go to the WEST coast feed and watch the show, or record it for later viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)