Dish Network: Distant Networks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
AlaJoe said:
Ok I have bit my tongue long enough. I have to ask this. I do not get what all the fuss is about. I live in Birmingham Alabama so I want Birmingham Locals. I can not imagine why any one would want locals from a distant city. I do not care you got elected to the city council, what the weather will be tomorrow, or what's going on in general in New York city, Atlanta, or California. I want my local news. Why would you want another cities locals?

It is not JUST for the local news, although that is one feature of distant nets.

But, the reason why you DON'T understand, is because you already get YOUR locals from a "large market" such as yours. If you lived in a podunk market such as mine, you would understand in a big hurry.

The "news" (which I use VERY loosly) that our local channels pump out (which is only on some of our local commercial stations) is a totally joke! I actually get MORE news concerning our state out of Chicago locals, than I do on MY locals anyday. And as far as any hint of "local news", I can watch what is pertanent in one of our typical newscasts in about 3 minutes. :rolleyes:

As far as network prog, as we have discussed to death already here, local affiliates in many markets either totally pre-empt network prog (or move it to after midnight) for pretty much any inane thing under the sun. Telethons, infomercials, local sports, or time shifted/canceled for "local sensabilities" - you name it & our local affiliates will find a way to NOT show network prog. Again, since you live in a major market, you probably do NOT go through this crap like some of us do.

For example, a couple of weeks ago our local CBS affiliate moved the Sunday night 9/11 special to 10:45, due to "our local sensabilities" of this historic event. Of course, our local affiliate, being the dicks that they are, did NOT update their listings through any of the guide services, so that if one attempted to DVR it, you would have instead got a Illini basketball game recap for an hour & a syndicated CSI rerun. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Obviously, I get my network prog from multiple markets & I have absolutely NO shame in doing this - I only wish that it would do the kind of damage the local pirates want you to believe us folks are doing to them & drive them out of business, since they keep hanging onto the 1950's business model. If they are too stupid to change with the times, they deserve to go under.

And PLEASE anyone, spare me the rehash of how this keeps the "free TV model" alive for EVERYONE - I don't buy it now, or into the future. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
deploy

goaliebob99 said:
Only if i get all the mpg4 channels in true hd dammit:p :D.... (ok, I gave up and sent my letter)... But keep working on them HD LITE channels and getem true hd soon! :)

hey brother, keep safe, and take a few out for me.

David
U.S.Army Retired

It seems to me...

Things have been quiet on this front since the first of september. Makes me wonder if someone/somebodys (ie: politicans) has put the word on this judge that NO decision will come forth until after the November elections. Just food for thought but something is fishy in denmark.. Just my opinion, Gerry

No, the Court is still receiving briefs on the case:

Dish Network submitted their required Show Cause order on 12 Septmeber.
Fox Network submitted their reply on 21 September.
Dish Network then gave the Court a reply to Fox's reply on 25 September.

So there just hasn't been a decision, yet.

I give AlaJoe short distance wave. Some people get HD locals from antenna so if I were obsessed with football I could pick a city out west and get the alternate ABC game (and also in HD if it was carried) on Saturday. Being able to timeshift television shows is another reason, what's seven local is on a LA station at nine.

All that being said, my HDMI port is fudgy so I don't want a Mickey D's to get my replacement. Also, because I enjoy watching WVUA #23 because the news is from Tuscaloosa and has a much more hometown feel to it.

AlaJoe said:
Ok I have bit my tongue long enough. I have to ask this. I do not get what all the fuss is about. I live in Birmingham Alabama so I want Birmingham Locals. I can not imagine why any one would want locals from a distant city. I do not care you got elected to the city council, what the weather will be tomorrow, or what's going on in general in New York city, Atlanta, or California. I want my local news. Why would you want another cities locals?
Time Shifting and Time Shifting alone. I could care less about news from distant cities. I have Denver & Los Angeles for the Mountain & Pacific Time Zone feeds only. They suplement the Eastern feed I have with my locals.

HDTVFanAtic said:
The talented people in broadcasting continue to make more real money than you've ever seen.

The worthless lemmings make nothing.

Wonder which side you came down on.

Wow... what hostility.

I was very talented at radio broadcasting... and had TOTAL creative control over my shows. I was also the only one at the station who could dump the format during my show.

So here is the scoop.

1. I refused to move to a big market (city). (Early in my radio career, I also turned down an internship at WLUP.)
2. I grew tired of the sleazy, advertiser ass-kissing mentality and the bastardization of the air-talent.

I didn't want it that bad, so I quit broadcasting to make real money in a smaller city.

Got it now?

AlaJoe said:

Not everyone wants local news, weather, etc.

I want higher production values and Hollywood (L.A.) news is much more interesting than Green Bay news to me.

So if you want locals, enjoy!

I don't want them.

Greg Bimson said:
No, the Court is still receiving briefs on the case:

Dish Network submitted their required Show Cause order on 12 Septmeber.
Fox Network submitted their reply on 21 September.
Dish Network then gave the Court a reply to Fox's reply on 25 September.

So there just hasn't been a decision, yet.

Greg,

Any updates on court activities?

No news on the issuance of the injunction.

I've seen a loose headline around that Dish Network has filed their writ of certiorari with the Supreme Court, to challenge the ruling by the Appeals Court. This will not stop an injunction if issued.

Florida court has issued a permanent Injuction effective Dec 1

Looks like DNS is history. Dish has supposively also appealed to the supreme court, but I don't suspect that to help.

The only other recourse is to try and convince congress to create a new law. Really unlikely in an election year.

Until recently (within the past couple of days), I was given access to the options to add DNS when going to the "add local channels" section of Dish's website. I suspect that I may have been one of the last customers to have access to this since I have waivers and have had DNS for almost 10 years. However, when I looked today, this option is gone. Oh well...thank goodness for DVRs.

Looks like DNS is history. Dish has supposively also appealed to the supreme court, but I don't suspect that to help.

The only other recourse is to try and convince congress to create a new law. Really unlikely in an election year.

Even if that was likely, it would take months if not years to get through Congress; AND given how much money the tv industry has contributed to congress, don't count on it.

I have subscribed to DNS through both DISH and DirecTV in the past, and they were actually easier to get through DirecTV than with DISH. In fact, it took months for me to be able to acquire the necessary waivers from the local broadcasters because DISH's computer said I "should be able" to pick up things that were not able to be picked up at my location. So, from my own personal experience with DISH, I don't buy the arguement that DISH was "freely" handing out these stations to subscribers.

This court ruling appears very suspect to me.

Hmmmm...(Not trying to imply anything)....but, I wonder if the judge is driving a brand new car this weekend?

Even if that was likely, it would take months if not years to get through Congress; AND given how much money the tv industry has contributed to congress, don't count on it.

To add to that, you would have a fight against it from each local station owner, who wants you to view Network shows from them, as your local provider.

I'm sorry for all the legitimate customers who are about to lose their DNS, but I fully side with the Court on this issue. Hopefully DirecTV will come along and make all of you a very nice offer. EchoStar cheated...they got caught....and they must now pay the penalty.

I'm sorry for all the legitimate customers who are about to lose their DNS, but I fully side with the Court on this issue. Hopefully DirecTV will come along and make all of you a very nice offer. EchoStar cheated...they got caught....and they must now pay the penalty.

Come on, lets not pretend that DirecTV is an innocent in all of this. Particularly when you think of the settlement with all but the FOX O&O stations....

DirecTV can't possibly be innocent in all of this. Example: All the network stations in the Seattle area except the O&O FOX station (KCPQ) are being broadcast in HD now.

Who is Tribune Broadcasting negotiating HD carriage with for KCPQ? Yep, DirecTV.

Something stinks in the harbor, and it's not because it's low tide... :mad:

"Right side of the law", does that translate to "Haven't got caught"? :D

Sooooo, will Mrs. Charlie be starting her own satellite company, specializing in distant network channels for those located in the wilderness? I guess she could lease some bandwidth from and maybe contract out for satellite control functions through a close relative. :D

Maybe Sky Angle (?) could add a DNS line-up for its subscribers!:eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts