Dish Network DPP44 Power Inserter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I got a Dish Network Model DPP44 Power Inserter at a garage sale the other day for $.50. The power brick attached to it shows an output of 28.0V or 20.5V at 1.65A. I put a meter on it on the leg "To Switch" and it shows about 21.0V no load and 20.5V with a LNB loaded to it. It shows zero V on the leg "To receiver satellite in".

I wanted to use it as a power inserter to a Dual C feedhorn...it looks like it should be safe to put in line with a satellite receiver since it showed zero volts on the receiver leg. I am however concerned about the 20.5V power to an 18 volt LNB. Will I damage or shorten the LNB life with this extra 2.5-3.0 volts? Did Dish Network raise the voltage to compensate for longer coax runs...I would presume their LNB's only need 18V?

Also I know I'm missing the compatable Dish Network switch with this but how does the power brick 28.0V come into play here? Is it activated by a 22khz tone? Does the missing switch incorporate a voltage drop so that the LNB is only getting 18V from the power brick's 20.5V or 28V output?

The LNB may be rated for more than 18v. How do you plan to insert power to both LNBs with this unit? And switch between the two?

I've got a Trunkline 13/18V switch with like 16 outlets. At the present time one of the LNB's gets 18V and the other one gets 13V. If I put this power inserter on the LNB side of the Trunkline switch the 13V LNB would increase to 20.5V.

I could go another way on this...I've actually now have two of these DPP44's. I could use one for each LNB and then put a standard 13/18V switch between the 2 DPP44's and the satellite receiver(s).

Last edited:
Well then you could experiment and add the voltage to the one side and see if there is an improvement. It may not warrant adding such a big powerbrick or two to the household background electrical load. I'm starting to see a tremendous load on the household when everything is "OFF".
Too many power transformers plugged in at all times.

Status
Please reply by conversation.