Dish Network DVR Poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dish Network DVR Shut Down

• Keep Dish Network

Votes: 87 32.8%

Votes: 135 50.9%
  • Go back to Cable

Votes: 43 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for D*. I already have both services and no cable where I live. Maybe I'll just start taking whatever drugs Bob Haller is on. :D

Time shifting, including watching a program while recording another, are very important to me and my wife. If the Dish DVRs were shut down, we'd have DirectTV the next day.

If dish lost the DVR's and you cannot record shows why would you stay with dish?

I would stay because I think that money would flow, and the DVRs would be turned back on within a week.

Whether or not that will happen, who knows? But, that's what I think.

Remember when Charlie tried to by Direct? The merger didn't go through. Charlie had to pay a huge fee when merger failed. It was either $300 million or $600 million, if I recall correctly. When you bet big, sometimes you lose big.

1) Are the DVRs being cut off so old, the subs probably need updated equipment anyway? I know it's hard for some to afford maybe, but wouldn't they get some kind of good deal being a long time sub?

2) Would Dish even let this happen? Can they find a way out of this without losing a ton of subs which they can't afford to lose?

I'm not leaving Dish. for now anyway. Directv-been there, done that, never again. For me, Dish programming much better.

I would stay for a month or see just to see how things shake out. Going back to Direct would be my option if things did not work out. I do not think it will come to that.

I might give it a week. I cannot at this point (correction, probably could but sure don't want to try to) watch TV without a DVR.

That would be as good a point as any to re-evaluate whether any type of pay-TV is even worth having.

I'm assuming of course that if the DVR functionality is shutdown, that would include the functionality to playback all the stuff I have on their proprietary archive (seven drives full so far)

I would leave if I hadn't already. I will be building my htpc next month and moving to a combination of OTA and IP services.

I might give it a week. I cannot at this point (correction, probably could but sure don't want to try to) watch TV without a DVR.

That would be as good a point as any to re-evaluate whether any type of pay-TV is even worth having.

I'm assuming of course that if the DVR functionality is shutdown, that would include the functionality to playback all the stuff I have on their proprietary archive (seven drives full so far)

I completely agree with everything you wrote. It would definitely be a good time to re-evaluate. I honestly don't think I could go back to watching live t.v. (except for sports).

Will this really come to pass? How soon? Which boxes would be shut off? For how long? Is the sky falling? What about ETF's?

There are too many unknowns to make a rational decision now.

Trust me (and never trust a man who says trust me), in the end a deal will be cut. Money will change hands. And, probably, we'll all end up paying more.

I fear we're sitting here playing checkers while the big boys are playing chess.

What if???

TIVO and D negoiated a excluse license?

Locking E out of the DVR business completely?

D would probably get a large portion of the departing E subs, then D could pick up whats left of E for pennies on the dollar.

I don't know what I'd do if I had no access to a DVR through Dish. Have been with them since the start; but in recent years I am very seldom home to watch shows while they are actually broadcasting. The vast majority of my TV viewing is via the DVR.

If I had no option through Dish, I might have to actually look at another service (...probably either D* or Comcast, as we don't get FIOS). :river

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts