Dish Network DVR Poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dish Network DVR Shut Down

• Keep Dish Network

Votes: 87 32.8%

Votes: 135 50.9%
  • Go back to Cable

Votes: 43 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not 95 years old and I'm a computer geek working in the IT field. I love technology and have a lot of tech toys but I don't have a DVR. Why? Here are my reasons:

1.) I personally don't watch that much TV.
2.) I refuse to pay all the extra fees for using a DVR.
3.) The quality of TV programming is so bad it's not worth watching or recording.
4.) I find that most of the shows and movies are repeated so often I don't even need to record it.
5.) I prefer to play sports than watch them on TV.

I hope the DVR issue gets resolved in favor of the DISH DVR customer but I'm sure there is a price to pay for this and it will be passed on to the customer. I would rather stay with Dish than go with Comcast or DirecTV. FIOS is not in my state and I don't like dong business with AT&T (U-verse).

I voted for going to Direct
But In all likelihood, I would just use my OTA setup.
and watch more shows off of HULU and torrent sites.

I really don't watch most of the things on the channel list anymore.

I voted for going to Direct
But In all likelihood, I would just use my OTA setup.
and watch more shows off of HULU and torrent sites.

I really don't watch most of the things on the channel list anymore.

+1 OTA and torrents is what I would do. Come to think of it...not sure why I don't do that know, it would save me a small bundle of money each month.

What if???

TIVO and D negoiated a excluse license?

Locking E out of the DVR business completely?

D would probably get a large portion of the departing E subs, then D could pick up whats left of E for pennies on the dollar.

I don't think D* and TIVO could completely lock E* out of the DVR field. Neither has complete control over the entire concept of the DVR (though TIVO might try and argue otherwise :)) There are plenty of other DVR makers out there such as Motorola (cable) and Cisco and Microsoft (U-verse, I believe). Granted if TIVO chose not to deal with E* that would hurt them considerably. It's doubtful they would do that as I believe they've already offered a licensing deal to E*

I agree with the others that will give it a brief period if they shut it off. I can't see how they could tolerate it long-term to be without DVR service.

I'm under contract until mid August. I wonder if Dish would be in violation of the contract if they shut down my DVR capability? I suppose I could read through the contract. Sounds boring.

Seems to me Dish will be fined. forcing Dish to turn off DVRs would be political suicide. Hurting the public is not the way to go. Plus it might put Dish out of business, another horrible move.

IF the DVRs were turned off, and we lost our EHD collections when they were restored, I think a lot of us would go to the trouble of learning enough Linux, etc, to start burning clear copies of our programming, and from the old EHDs. Copying EHDs, at the least. They'd just turn more of us into "criminals."

I really don't think we're going to lose DVR functionality on our ViPs.

I have no idea which way we'd go. I really don't think the DVRs will be terminated, but you never know. The easiest solution for me would be to just switch to D*, but I might be able to convince my wife that we watch too much TV and then just go OTA with TiVo. I don't like my cable oprions here because their DVR is pretty awful and getting TiVo to work on the new cable systems is a nightmare.

So how about a choice of "I'll cross this bridge when I come to it"

For half a decade the sword of Damocles has been hanging over our head and nothing has happened.....

Either E* and Tivo will hammer out a licensing deal, or E* will buy them up. Tivo can't survive on its own anymore. One of the two will happen (although MAYBE someone with deep pockets will gobble up Tivo in an effort to put the screws to E*)

Time shifting, including watching a program while recording another, are very important to me and my wife. If the Dish DVRs were shut down, we'd have DirectTV the next day.

What I would worry about is that if E* DVRs are deactivated, this could give D* "carte blance" on the pricing of their DVRs. D* could become the only game in town, except for cable, in a lot of places that don't have Fios or U-verse.
Ghpr13:(

It will be a sad day

The only reason I keep dish is because of their state of the
art equipment.

I would have no other choice but to make Uverse number one in my home.

Direc would be 2...

Nothing compares to Dish VIP series...

It would suck!

The only reason I keep dish is because of their state of the
art equipment.

I would have no other choice but to make Uverse number one in my home.

Direc would be 2...

Nothing compares to Dish VIP series...

It would suck!

Uverse sucks, Lots of stuff wrong with it, only 3 hd streams if your lucky, and I mean if your within a thousand feet of the vrad, the pq is compressed to hell, Any more than 4 tv's your SOL on streams. Uverse will be lucky to be around in 6 months to a year.

Uverse roll outs have slowed down and almost stopped. ATT was counting on VDSL2 & Pair bonding to save the system and that has yet to happen. Google is running fiber in their feild trials soon, and ATT needs to get on the ball with fiber in the last 5,000 Feet. Once they do that, they have a system that rocks! Until they can do this and offer unlimited bandwidth for HDTV streams, they wont be in many peoples homes. especially for those who have multiple hdtv's or 3DHD.

Cable is even looking at RFOG (Radio Frequencies over glass) that could offer more speed than what docsis 3.0 does today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)