Dish Network Earnings Call

Look people I know you all think how important you are, but when Charlie saw all the VOOMers combined could not add up to the Sci Fi HD subs, what do you expect him to do?

VOOM did nothing for DISH when DISH was losing subs big time for the last three quarters, especially the latest one. You can't expect DISH to lose shirt just to make a few of you happy, Cablevision tried remember what happened to the old man?

What are you talking about. Look at the polls. Voom is popular enough. Why blame Voom for E*s bad earnings? You should be blaming E* as they are the ones that did nothing and let D* get way ahead of them. Locals/national hd/ and sports D* has them beat big time. And now they finally come through with new HD everyone has been waiting for but they take 10-15 channels away. Great strategy!

Amazing that so many here have no problem taking away what others like so that they can have what they like. Use whatever justification you want to feel better about it.

I am not happy that the channels are gone. I did enjoy a few of them. However, like I have said before, to keep subscribers Voom needed more/better content not just the better technical aspects. The GREAT majority of people are going to watch programs that they like. SD or HD is not as important as interesting content. VOOMs big problem is that they are no longer the only choice to watch to get HD programming. I remember hearing John Dvorak on TechTV say something like; We now know who the Walmart of the internet is going to be, it's going to be Walmart. The internet only stores lost their appeal as more real stores began selling on the internet. The same thing has happened to Voom, the HD only channels have lost their appeal as more real channels began broadcasting HD.

Voom to me is like PBS. I hunt out the stuff that I like on PBS...Nova, Frontline, American Experience, Austin City Limits. I dont expect PBS to air new episodes of those shows every week, and frankly, I'm relieved when they don't, as I cant keep up with what's already on my DVR, and 750g EHD. Voom's like that for me. I'll get to it eventually, and thank god it'll be on again. Love to have Equator on on a Saturday morning, and learn stuff while I'm goofing around the house...commercial free! In Voom's defense, they have added some great new series on many of their channels since I've subscribed in January 2007. My favorite was 'What the Window Washer Saw" on Gallery - basically amazing skyscrapers around the world, and how the window washers actually clean those monsters. It was awesome.

What I think has happened is that Dish just signaled VOOM that they will air 5 channels, no more, and will drop those 5 if they do not change. Dish wants VOOM to consolodate down to 5 channels and make them worth carrying, or Dish will drop VOOM. Without Dish VOOM will fold since CVC is not going to spend the money just for their own subs.

Please provide the data for this ridiculous statement.
Actually, technically speaking he is correct. Voom doesnt (or didnt) have the market penetration to reach as many subs as Sci-Fi did. There werent enough companies that carrried them, whereas nearly every mom and pop cable company and national company carries Sci-Fi in one form or another.

Not sure exactly if that was the point he was making though.

The people that post on a satellite board about Voom are not a scientific sample of satellite subscribers.

They are a sample of E*s HD subscribers. Look not every channel is liked by subscribers. Take Food/Travel- I bet a lot of people could care less if E* dropped them. What is amazing is how some of you are amusing yourselves at our expense.
Edited

Actually, technically speaking he is correct. Voom doesnt (or didnt) have the market penetration to reach as many subs as Sci-Fi did. There werent enough companies that carrried them, whereas nearly every mom and pop cable company and national company carries Sci-Fi in one form or another.

Not sure exactly if that was the point he was making though.

Potentially, but there are still no numbers and he stated SciFiHD subs. If you include everyone that gets the channel versus who really watches it, how can that be accurate?

Does anyone have an e-mail address for Voom? I went to their website to click on "contact us" and it doesn't seem to work. It was probably a futile idea anyway as I did that months ago when Monsters was into their 2 movies a day mode. I wasn't happy about that and this all says to me that Charlie wasn't either. I never got a response from Voom on that e-mail so I don't even know if anyone even looked at my message.

I hope Charlie is just playing hardball for awhile and maybe Voom will shape up because of this. I would hate for them to be shipped out 100%.

I would very much miss Monsters and Rave. I watch those quite a bit.

If in the end they became better channels because of this, Charlie could become a hero.

I watched HDNews also and yes it was kind of cheap but I got the news fast. If CNN Headline News-HD became available, I wouldn't miss HDNews so much.

I will also miss Flipper on Family Room. Hopefully it will show up in some other way again.

Consolidation of some of these channels as mentioned earlier in this thread is a good idea. I wouldn't even mind some commercials but don't interupt the movies.

I, like some others around here would miss Voom going away altogether. I really hope this is just Charlie trying to get either:

1. A better money deal from them but they must spend the $100K on new programming or..

2. A cheaper price for what we are now getting.

I would prefer option 1. Thats my opinion.

Voom's email=findoutmore@voomhd
However, you will be lucky to get any response, I was emailing them weekly for several months regarding their lack of closed captioning and never received any response.

They are a sample of E*s HD subscribers. Look not every channel is liked by subscribers. Take Food/Travel- I bet a lot of people could care less if E* dropped them. What is amazing is how some of you are amusing yourselves at our expense.
Edited

I am not amused about anything. I enjoyed some of the Voom channels. However, they have become stale. I have not, and will not say that the channels should be removed. However, it is a business decision for Dish. Many more people watch ESPN and Disney than watched KungFu. Voom has not been spending as much effort on content as many mainstream channels. They could not survive on technical details alone.

I'm sorry, but you can't with a straight face use a poll on this forum as proof most E* subs will greatly miss Voom. Even if you count the lurkers here there is probably a difference in the high six figures, maybe even 1 million people.

Yea, I liked monsters at first. After seeing the same movie playing on there so often, it lost my interest.

Rush is another example of how out of touch voom really was. Freestyle MX is arguably the most popular "extreme" sport out there, yet all the Mx they have are the same 4-5 Mx Horse shows they played over and over.

If you want to leave because 1 channel, and end up spending more money on an inferior DVR it is your choice. If you think that D* is going to keep a certain channel that you watch instead of replacing it for a mainstream HD channel then you might as well just drop pay TV altogether or start investing in A LOT of stock.

At the end of the day I hope it is a Charlie ploy. I switched to the essential pack and I don't want him to move HD channels to make the ultimate package a marketable feature. Think about it, would they really expect you to pay an extra $10 for 3 channels? I think he is trying to get Voom to get off their butt and produce some new and timely programming. If they did, I would go back to the ultimate pack in a second.

Monsters Hd will be a major hit for me, I can get everything else Dish offers from D. Sounds crazy but I signed on with dish because of some of the Voom, that no one carriers. Charlie sezs there is no demand,he did not ask me! I know Voom had plenty of repaeats, and some channels I never watch,but I enjoyed the movie channels. There is nothing out there to compare to Monsters HD!

I have both D and E and will be gone in a second when Voom goes. It's the only offering that was exclusive to Charlie. It's something D doesn't have.