Dish Network FlexTV Questions..

Restarting FLEX programming with program change...

Could one of you who are more expert than I am (know the answer is on this blog, but didn't want to wade through 20 pages), get me an answer. My monthly FLEX programming just expired and I believe the $5.00 reconnect fee doesn't apply for maybe 15 days, but the web site won't let me pay except for my current programming (DISH Family plus locals) and I want to add the Fox Sports package. As I remember, I think I have to call up and tell them what I want and give them my credit card/debit over the phone? Thanks in advance for your help.

When I called them to see about adding the Multi sports package, which includes Fox. Not sure whether that's what your talking about?

But they told me I had to have a minimum of one of? the bronze packages.

Minimum requirement for Regional Sports Nets is Bronze Plus if it still exists, otherwise Silver is necessary.

Multi Sports Package...

Finally got hooked up with the programming I wanted. I was taking the DISH Family w/locals which was $26.49 w/tax. To get the Multi Sports Package I found out that you need to have the Dish Bronze 100 Plus (all these damn names are confusing as hell), which is exactly like the Dish 100 package w/locals ($39.99), but they add the local FOX sports channel for your area for another $5 or $6 bucks (some deal). Then you can add the Multi Sports Package which is a good deal since you get a couple of dozen FOX sports channels all across the country and the NBA channel and Big 10 channel and some others. If you are into college basketball like I am then I guess it is worth it. But running the cost from $26.49 to over $51 is ridiculous. The one forgiving thing is that I can bring the box back after our trip and use it at my home location and still get everything but the locals. It would be $5.00 less if you don't need locals where you are at.

This was a comedy of errors getting it all right. The CSR, who was nice, said I had to pay for the Dish Family first, then add the Multi Sports package, then she found out I had to upgrade programming to the Dish Bronze 100 Plus, so I ended up with 3 different charges. Then none of the programming came through so I was on the phone for an hour with a tech running resets and check switches (which first got the Dish Family, then the Dish 100 programming going), and then she told me I still owed for the Multi Sports package and the CSR had messed up in adding the Multi Sports before the Dish Bronze. Eventually after all that I finally got everything (took quite a while for the the Multi Sports to show up on the guide though). Remember that you have to go through a CSR if you want to change your programming from what it was before you let your prepay expire (which was my situation). If you still have programming left, you can do the changes on line.

I have lowered my plans quite a bit.

After experiencing the "quality" or lackthereof from Digital Cable and the realization that they are actually charging me 100USD a month not 88 (Just to get frakking movie channels) I don't want to go that route ever again.

The only thing I really want is Boomerang and the Science channel. Part of the Welcome pack at 20USD a month. Fine I can live with that. Its SD but who cares at this point. I am being financially raped by cable and I cant cancel it fast enough.

Just transferred my old Dish Now account to the Flex plan or as DISH refers to it when I called "pay in advance". Transfer went easy and only took about 10 minutes. Won't actually be using it for another few weeks but wanted to get the Welcome Pack before it is no longer available (2/1/10) since I only use DISH when using my travel trailer.

E is adding locals to all core packages as a must take item.

so its highly likely you wouldnt be able to opt out of locals.. official news due out feb 1st

I doubt they will bother forcing the addition of locals to the Welcome Pack since it is ending Feb. 1.

I just converted from DishNow to Flex. What an adventure. 4 different CS reps but I was still able to get the Welcome Package and Public Access Channels. No mention of locals by the reps. Save yourself some time and ask the first person you are connected with to transfer you to the pre-paid support line.

Last edited:
My FLEXTV DP301 is still in hibernation, ever since I did the switchover in October '09. Even though I could reup it at any time(with the $5/reactivation fee of course), it is just sitting there collecting dust after getting alot more usage with the Dish NOW! setup.

Oh, well. I just hope they will bring back the day to day ordering of EVERYTHING with the GDMP someday, or some version of it(like a week at a time), and no longer get hit with activation fees(like for a premium by itself) for anything.

But this all really doubtful. They will probably just dump prepaid Flextv customers soon enough anyway.

Just miss Dish NOW! is all. (sniff)

just going to add my experience with flex grace period, when monthly payment is past due. 301 converted from prepaid to flex in oct 09, still using gdmp. payment due date 3/1/2010, will be paying tomorrow 3/3 with gdmp. used live chat and csr told me the grace period to avoid a $5 restart fee was 10 days. i've heard 15 days mentioned in various posts. didn't ask if my tv would go blank at midnight as it's already 1 day past due and still have service, though with an occasional nag.

Death of FlexTV..bait and switch...

I called to reactivate my receiver which I hadn't used in two months and was told it would be $20 plus programming to turn it back on. I said no, it's $5 and finally got a supervisor who stated that as of March 1 the fee was $20 and not $5 and that I had been informed on my February bill. I said I don't have a February bill since it was FlexTV and I hadn't used it in two months. No matter, either pay the $20 or no service. She also informed me that regular service turn on fees had gone from $25 to $20 too, so effectively there is no FlexTV, because if you don't pay your bill within the grace period you get slammed for a restart fee which may be almost as much as the programming. This is really classic 'bait and switch' since they put out the FlexTV perameters for buying equipment and the fee structure just as of October 1st and I'm sure some users went ahead and bought equipment and did the install (or converted from prepay) based on the minimal $5 restart fee. In effect there is no longer any such thing as FlexTV or flex pay, since you must basically keep programming active continuously. I got a January bill and it showed a balance for usage after the period I paid for, which confirms the above statement. So FlexTV is dead and so is prepay, but I think the way they did it is unconscionable and/or bordering on illegal. Asked the supervisor to waive the $20 fee or let me pay the $5 since I had no notice and she said forget it. Needless to say I told her to stick it.

By the way, if you have current programming and don't want to pay again and want to keep your service ad infinitum, don't turn the receiver on after midnight, which is when they send the disconnect bullet. Found this out, when I checked out my Flex receiver after not using it since the beginning of the year and I had all the programming. They shut it down when I made the mistake of leaving it on after midnight. Still have all the shop at home and paid programming and also the free previews and also the Channel 100 interactive.

Dish Network really isn't a very consumer friendly organization nor well managed either. Seems like they can't get their head out of their asses long enough to even care what consumers are thinking. Kind of like a lot of politicians these days.

Wish I would have added a 3rd reciever before they switched everything.

I like the package I have now, and can't get it anymore. Not sure it is a good idea to make any changes to my account.

I called to reactivate my receiver which I hadn't used in two months and was told it would be $20 plus programming to turn it back on. I said no, it's $5 and finally got a supervisor who stated that as of March 1 the fee was $20 and not $5 and that I had been informed on my February bill. I said I don't have a February bill since it was FlexTV and I hadn't used it in two months. No matter, either pay the $20 or no service. She also informed me that regular service turn on fees had gone from $25 to $20 too, so effectively there is no FlexTV, because if you don't pay your bill within the grace period you get slammed for a restart fee which may be almost as much as the programming. This is really classic 'bait and switch' since they put out the FlexTV perameters for buying equipment and the fee structure just as of October 1st and I'm sure some users went ahead and bought equipment and did the install (or converted from prepay) based on the minimal $5 restart fee. In effect there is no longer any such thing as FlexTV or flex pay, since you must basically keep programming active continuously. I got a January bill and it showed a balance for usage after the period I paid for, which confirms the above statement. So FlexTV is dead and so is prepay, but I think the way they did it is unconscionable and/or bordering on illegal. Asked the supervisor to waive the $20 fee or let me pay the $5 since I had no notice and she said forget it. Needless to say I told her to stick it.

By the way, if you have current programming and don't want to pay again and want to keep your service ad infinitum, don't turn the receiver on after midnight, which is when they send the disconnect bullet. Found this out, when I checked out my Flex receiver after not using it since the beginning of the year and I had all the programming. They shut it down when I made the mistake of leaving it on after midnight. Still have all the shop at home and paid programming and also the free previews and also the Channel 100 interactive.

Dish Network really isn't a very consumer friendly organization nor well managed either. Seems like they can't get their head out of their asses long enough to even care what consumers are thinking. Kind of like a lot of politicians these days.

WOW! $20 to restart. Well Dish , you can go F*CK yourselves on that.

$5 I can see as legit, but not $20. Looks like my FlexTV box is officially in the closet, and soon to be in the garbage.

Boy, what a sad end to a program that when it initially started 3-4 years ago was great for the customer. I was one of the lucky ones since I had my Dish NOW! setup for close to 2 years before they switched to FlexTV, so I got my money's worth.

I know companies are in the business to make money, but they won't be getting any more of mine. Biggest and best F' You I can give them.

Well looks like things turned very sour quickly.

I agree that this effectively ends the advantage it had and now I am very hesitant to consider it. Especially when DirectTV offers more.

Also no more welcome pack so now its up to 25USD a month mainly to watch 2 channels... bah..

Tho I will likely still get it tho. For my minimum use the rental fee is not worth it and if I have to lapse then it will be months before I could reconnect anyway so 20USD wont be too too bad.

Welcome pack availability

Also no more welcome pack so now its up to 25USD a month mainly to watch 2 channels... bah..
The Welcome pack was available at the end of March when I was able to get when restarting service after disconnecting E* for 5 years. I did have to upgrade my 4900 receiver (no more software upgrade) and legacy LNBs for Solo 311 and DPPlus LNB. It took several layers of CSRs to reach the dept that knew about the Welcome pack.

No Retailer Reply

I know that it has been a long time since this thread was active but I feel there are a lot of his questions that were only partially answered.
OK retailers where are you? Its in your ball park. :)
I have tried the Flex TV and it IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to a camparative replacement of PrePay.
Oh well, so much for Dishnetwork being the people's choice.
Dishnetwork really needs to give the public a way to get "OFFCIAL" info without giving them your telephone number because that leads to all kinds of harrasing calls from independent retailers that cant take "NO" for an answer.
Thier website has no USEFUL info on Flex TV or at least I couldn't find it.
So much for my rant and rave.
:eek:
thanks.