Dish Network Going Out During Storms...

jtrageser

Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
I was just wondering why people always say that dish network goes out during storms. Just the other day it was raining with a lot of wind and the service was fine. I never have any trouble, even when there is snow on the dish. Anyone here lose their signal during storms? I don't.

Well then mine must not be set up right because it gets squirrelly in rain and wind around here...and why does MonstersHD freeze up on me for a second or two when I've got the main menu at the bottom of the screen and go to remove it?

Trock62 said:
Well then mine must not be set up right because it gets squirrelly in rain and wind around here...and why does MonstersHD freeze up on me for a second or two when I've got the main menu at the bottom of the screen and go to remove it?

Perhaps you should call the people you got dish from and get it serviced. There may be a problem with your system altogether or it could just be a signal problem.

After last year's hurricanes cable and power were out for a week. Thankfully I had Dish and a generator.

I live in Southern California where rain is kind of scarce - like we average 10 to 13 inches per year. I had one rain fade episode over a 5 year period with my old d500 setup and that was due to a monster thunderstorm that developed directly over us.

I recently - 29th of March - had a d1000 installed but had the 129 lnb installed in a dedicated d500 to maximize the weaker 129 signal. I have had two rain fade episodes in the last 6 weeks and the rain storms were not that severe.

I think it is safe to say that the d1000 setup along with the weak signal from 129 is much more suscepitible to rain fade than the d500 was.

Reactions: pattykay
Well if you get a bad storms like we do here in OK the power can go out and then it does not really matter. But yeah most time I do not loose picture during most storms. Heck when I was on cable sometimes it would be a clear day and certain channels would go out. One time I was watching the local team play on FoxSports West and Cox lost the channel for more than a hour during the football game.

I have seen rain storms in Northeast Texas and what you get would make our heavier rainstorms look like "showers". We rarely lose power during the storms, so having the TV not work is more apparent and really frustrating. I would think that you would have the rain fade problem more often.

I agree with the cable providers being unreliable. Many years ago - mid 1970's - I was starting to watch the first game of the world series and the cable went out. It was out for 4 or 5 hours so I missed the entire game. I put up an antenna the next weekend and told the cable company what they could do with their service.

After we moved I suffered with cable until 1999 when I finally went with Dish, but I still have a backup antenna "just in case".

I had a Dish 500 setup for 4 years with hardly any rain fade incidents, even looking through a tree. I moved about 5 months ago and got a Dish 1000 with no trees. I have already had 3 or 4 rain fade incidents, but the funny thing is, it only happens with the 942. My other receivers continue to work fine (811, 510, and 4900). Any one have something like this happen? I have a DPP44 switch also which is new to my setup. The power inserter is in line just before the 942. I'm thinking of moving it to the 510.

KenSoren said:
I live in Southern California where rain is kind of scarce - like we average 10 to 13 inches per year. I had one rain fade episode over a 5 year period with my old d500 setup and that was due to a monster thunderstorm that developed directly over us.

I recently - 29th of March - had a d1000 installed but had the 129 lnb installed in a dedicated d500 to maximize the weaker 129 signal. I have had two rain fade episodes in the last 6 weeks and the rain storms were not that severe.

I think it is safe to say that the d1000 setup along with the weak signal from 129 is much more suscepitible to rain fade than the d500 was.

I think it's safe to say that, too!!

I live in ohio, and my cable went out one week today (still out) and my dish system has gone out twice in the last 2 years, both were severe rain, and both times lasted less then 2 minutes!

My dish is peaked pretty high and I have still seen some rain fade, but it is only in very very bad storms and only for a couple mins. The good thing about the 942 is I can still watch OTA if the satellite is going out.

lakebum431 said:
My dish is peaked pretty high and I have still seen some rain fade, but it is only in very very bad storms and only for a couple mins. The good thing about the 942 is I can still watch OTA if the satellite is going out.
Since my dish 500 installation was fixed I rarely loose picture either. MY signal strengths are in the high 90's or greater.

Ron

ronfelder said:
Since my dish 500 installation was fixed I rarely loose picture either. MY signal strengths are in the high 90's or greater.

Ron
If I had 90's I'd be out there realigning it.

I loose the Spot Beams first, But Like someone said, it has to be a Severe storm before I have any trouble. Once I loose signal, Its time to be seeking shelter in the center bathroom of the house.

I get 120's on both 110 and 119, some are pegged out on both, My dish guy said he's never seen the signal that high. Of sourse I aimed it until I was happy. Once I aimed it in a middle of a snow storm, as much of a storm as Tennessee ever gets. Anyways, once it was great signals in that, I had perfect signals from there on out.

So If I realign, I wait until inclement weather (no lightning)

Anyways, My Cable has been a nightmare, I've lost 5 days of work already this year dealing with the tards.

Wll Maybe some of that made sense, I need some sleep.