Dish Network Going Out During Storms...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Frostwolf said:
If I had 90's I'd be out there realigning it.

I loose the Spot Beams first, But Like someone said, it has to be a Severe storm before I have any trouble. Once I loose signal, Its time to be seeking shelter in the center bathroom of the house.

I get 120's on both 110 and 119, some are pegged out on both, My dish guy said he's never seen the signal that high. Of sourse I aimed it until I was happy. Once I aimed it in a middle of a snow storm, as much of a storm as Tennessee ever gets. Anyways, once it was great signals in that, I had perfect signals from there on out.

So If I realign, I wait until inclement weather (no lightning)

Anyways, My Cable has been a nightmare, I've lost 5 days of work already this year dealing with the tards.

Wll Maybe some of that made sense, I need some sleep.
What dish and receiver do you have? If you have a 1000 and a dual tuner dvr, I BET you won't be talking about 120's on 119/110. You wouldn't have ANY signal on 129 at the same time. I tewaked the crap out of my 1000 to get a acceptable signal on 129. That resulted in mid-high 90's on 119 and mid-high 80's on 110/129. That is as good as it gets. I do NOT belive you get signal that high with a 1000 and dual tuners.

I will lose mine during really heavy thunderstorms. Just for a couple or three minutes, then it's fine. Have never lost it during a snowstorm. Had a 30 inch snow a couple of years ago and never lost signal for a moment.

ralfyguy said:
What dish and receiver do you have? If you have a 1000 and a dual tuner dvr, I BET you won't be talking about 120's on 119/110. You wouldn't have ANY signal on 129 at the same time. I tewaked the crap out of my 1000 to get a acceptable signal on 129. That resulted in mid-high 90's on 119 and mid-high 80's on 110/129. That is as good as it gets. I do NOT belive you get signal that high with a 1000 and dual tuners.

Dish 500 with 508's and one 4900

I'm not going to ever upgrade to the 1000, Its stupid to try and make one dish read that much of the sky. Just get a dish 300 and point it at the 129 and keep your dish 500.

Really comes down to, you want your dish to look good on your house, or do you want it to look good on your TV. Your Choice:)

Little more wiring involved but Until I hear, This new Dish Reciever is awesome, no bugs, easy to use. I'm going to keep my 508's going. Or my TV blows up and I have to get a new TV, then maybe I'll go HD.

Also If I had HD I wouldn't want HD LITE.

So, I'm going to wait until they get it all working right, and more content.

L8R

Reactions: pattykay
I get nearly all transponders from 110 & 119 in the 115-120 range from a D500. However when big thunderstorms roll across the upper midwest, I do lose lock for 5-15 minutes. This happens about 3-5 times a year.

I also have a D300 pointing at 61.5 and pulling in the 95-100 range. When I lose lock from 110/119, the 61.5 usually continues to work for a few minutes. Then when it goes, it usually means that 110/119 are about to come back up. I recommend people in the Midwest going with 61.5 instead of 129 if they can put up two dishes.

I consider Dish to be my early warning system for nasty storms. It's fine during typical rains, but if I lose my lock, then that almost always means we are going to get hammered in 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
Those who don't have satellite simply because they fear signal loss don't seem to realize that "cable TV" is just satellite TV at the end of a really long cable!

The cable companies have to run miles and miles of cable and include booster stations along the way to get the signal to your house. That does two things. First, pushing the signal through miles and miles of cable degrades picture quality. Seond, it jacks the price! It costs money to create and maintain that infrastructure.

Is it a wonder that cable is so much more expensive?

Once during a warm summer day, I was working on my Polaris pool sweeper, a Mars-rover looking device with a water connection from the pump to power it, and the hose popped off and a fairly high powered stream of water shot out onto the roof, directly onto my Dish 500. My 522 was recording a movie at the time, and when I watched it later, partway through the movie a signal loss notice flashed on the screen, things pixelated, then all went back to normal. I lost maybe three seconds of the movie. It was kind of funny when I realized what happened.

Rain fade

I have subscribed to D*, Voom and E* over the years, and not one provider's service has managed not to fade during a storming day in my area of Florida. I subscribe to E* - and basic cable for this very reason. :(

There are a lot of reasons to choose one over the other, or have parts of both. In my case, I kept the most basic basic "lifeline" cable service (about $11/mo.) when I got Dish, because I wanted to keep the local government channels on the cable that Dish can't provide. They also give me some bay area local channels Dish can't give me in central California's big valley.

blabber said:
There are a lot of reasons to choose one over the other, or have parts of both. In my case, I kept the most basic basic "lifeline" cable service (about $11/mo.) when I got Dish, because I wanted to keep the local government channels on the cable that Dish can't provide. They also give me some bay area local channels Dish can't give me in central California's big valley.
I only have life line to get the itnerenet. I don't even use the channels that comcast gives me. I'm the opposite i'mn glad E* or D* don't give you the local government channels. I find them to be a waste of the spectrum. They, the cable companies only give them to you do to them being required to do so.

Ron

ronfelder said:
I only have life line to get the itnerenet. I don't even use the channels that comcast gives me. I'm the opposite i'mn glad E* or D* don't give you the local government channels. I find them to be a waste of the spectrum. They, the cable companies only give them to you do to them being required to do so.

Ron
That's true, I doubt Comcast would provide them if they didn't have to. They generate zero revenue. The local government and public access channels here are interesting to me because they display traffic cameras in the morning and evening, and somehow I get a kick out of watching city council meetings when they have public comment periods. Lots of irate citizens ranting and raving about poor garbage service, etc. But that's me, some folks wouldn't find that interesting. To me, it's REAL reality TV, not the artificial crud the networks have.

I was just wondering why people always say that dish network goes out during storms. Just the other day it was raining with a lot of wind and the service was fine. I never have any trouble, even when there is snow on the dish. Anyone here lose their signal during storms? I don't.
I live in South Carolina, and it goes out everytime their is any cloud cover or rain. It's a PAIN.

I live in South Carolina, and it goes out everytime their is any cloud cover or rain. It's a PAIN.

Nice 12-year-old thread you found there. Welcome to SatelliteGuys. If you are having that much of a rain fade issue, you should ask Dish for a re-peak of your dish, and perhaps have them check out your LNB.

I have Dish and the minimum Choice streaming package with Charter because I like Dish's lineup and equipment and also need Fox News Go access so that's why there's also Charter streaming.

Mine is cloud fade and not rain fade.
My picture does not go out with very hard rains. It will go out if there is dark clouds between the dish and satellite.

My signal goes out in every rain storm. It is very annoying. I've talked to installers and they tell me that a signal strength of 55-60 is the best you can get on the Eastern arc and there is nothing they can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts