DISH Network Introduces `DishFAMILY' Programming Tier

npep said:
So, I have a 921 now that is not activated...I would like to move to the family pack come Feb 1 and add the HD channels...do we know if that will be possible? Do I need to go ahead and activate the 921?
Man, I wish there was a clear thread with all that is happening on Feb 1...
Thanks for the help!

If that is what you want, you better activate that 921 now and order the current HD or HD+Voom now. It appears that if you do not activate the 921 and add the HD you want before February 1, the only HD you will be able to get with your 921 will be HBO-HD, SHO-HD and your local channels in HD via ota.

Competitive with USDTV?

Until November, when I signed up with DISH to get the 942, I was a happy USDTV customer. I think USDTV did their homework - their lineup included channels we actually watched a lot. DISH's lineup lacks some notables that USDTV included (off the top of my head):
- DISNEY Channel,
- ESPN, ESPN2,
- Lifetime, and
- Discovery, to name a few. The ones that DISH includes that USDTV didn't have are ones that are less frequently watched anyway.
Clearly, this move is a response to the success of USDTV.
BTW, USDTV uses UHF channel 99 to broadcast encrypted content, and the HiSense receiver they use is a great little basic digital/HDTV off-air receiver.

I'm still curious about the 2nd half of npeps question - will HD be an option if you buy the family tier, or do you have to go to the bronze, gold, silver, etc...

Chris

USA would not be family oriented content. There are still nine channels to be announced to be launched on this package so do not forget about that.

davewhittle said:
Until November, when I signed up with DISH to get the 942, I was a happy USDTV customer. I think USDTV did their homework - their lineup included channels we actually watched a lot. DISH's lineup lacks some notables that USDTV included (off the top of my head):
- DISNEY Channel,
- ESPN, ESPN2,
- Lifetime, and
- Discovery, to name a few. The ones that DISH includes that USDTV didn't have are ones that are less frequently watched anyway.
Clearly, this move is a response to the success of USDTV.
BTW, USDTV uses UHF channel 99 to broadcast encrypted content, and the HiSense receiver they use is a great little basic digital/HDTV off-air receiver.
I was also a USDTV subscriber until Christmas :)

We were very happy with it, and the channels they provide. The main reason that we switched to Dish Network, is because we wanted a DVR, and both USDTV and TiVo, said that TiVo wasn't compatible with USDTV :(

Oh yeah, we have the AT60 package, and we have ESPN, ESPN2, and Discovery.... Lifetime was also included until the contract dispute on January 1st. The kids do miss the Disney channel though.

I would imagine that ESPN/Disney stations are an all or nothing deal. Which only proves Charlie's point to congress. We'll see, but even if they had to add all the disney stations, I think that, plus NOGGIN, would make the plan perfect.

If the offer FamilyPack+HD+Locals and it included ESPN/Disney stations, I would sign up for that except...

Except there's no Cartoon network, likely due to Adult Swim being not family friendly. And comedy central isn't there either.

But that's why a la carte is still needed. Why shouldn't i be able to buy the family pack and add toon/comedy central to the pack even if they cost me $1 each and ESPNs+Disneys adds $8 a month? That's still only $34.99 including locals. Add the HD pack to that, and I get the channels I want, and nothing I don't want, for about the same price I pay now for a lot of stuff i don't want and no HD! Isn't that what America is supposed to be about? Why should I be forced to pay for all the channels I don't want just to get nicktoons, boomerang and toondisney?

iKramerica said:
If the offer FamilyPack+HD+Locals and it included ESPN/Disney stations, I would sign up for that except...
I wish they would add Disney and not ESPN because we would get ESPN in the HD pack.
If they add ESPN to the Family pack and let us add the HD pack would we not be paying twice for ESPN?

dkellumw said:
I wish they would add Disney and not ESPN because we would get ESPN in the HD pack.
If they add ESPN to the Family pack and let us add the HD pack would we not be paying twice for ESPN?

MY thoughts are because families without HD receivers, who wouldnt subscribe to HD pack, want espn too, and for the HD pack, you would be paying for the HD version of ESPN and ESPN2.

Adding a channel like ESPN at $3 - $4 per sub would prevent a $19.99 priced package...it would also make the package too attractive to TopXXX customers.

Maybe if they created an HD package with Disney and some of the other channels you could purchase it in addition to the Family Pack but by the time you do that, you would have the same amount in that as you would AT60.

RobertsD said:
IOh yeah, we have the AT60 package, and we have ESPN, ESPN2, and Discovery.... Lifetime was also included until the contract dispute on January 1st. The kids do miss the Disney channel though.
Disney is in the Top60 package (last I checked) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts