DISH Network Introduces `DishFAMILY' Programming Tier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
bowens said:
Yes, it is more conservative than the rest of the biased media(CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc) but that's because they are way out on the left. If you would watch FoxNews every once in a while you would know that it is actually pretty balanced (Hannity and Colmes for example).
While I agree with your sentiment, I wouldn't exactly describe Alan Colmes attempting to match wits with Sean Hannity as "pretty balanced"! Ha! Ha! :D

bowens said:
I guess I would be one of these "neo-cons" as you like to call them. But if you want to call me a neo-con because I have morals then go ahead, it's fine with me. Anyway if you would actually watch FoxNews you would see that it is not a "conservative" channel. Yes, it is more conservative than the rest of the biased media(CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc) but that's because they are way out on the left. If you would watch FoxNews every once in a while you would know that it is actually pretty balanced (Hannity and Colmes for example). I think it is in the package because it is the most popular cable news network in America.

You are a Neocon because you claim to support the Iraq war but only show by wearing stupid ribbons like Barbara Streissand and other Hollywood elite at the Academy awards. You are a Neocon because you support DEFICIT SPENDING FOR NATIONBUILDING. There are only 2 ways to support a war:

1. Enlist
2. PAY HIGHER TAXES.

That's it which do you support?

jeffwtux said:
You are a Neocon because you claim to support the Iraq war but only show by wearing stupid ribbons like Barbara Streissand and other Hollywood elite at the Academy awards. You are a Neocon because you support DEFICIT SPENDING FOR NATIONBUILDING. There are only 2 ways to support a war:
1. Enlist
2. PAY HIGHER TAXES.
That's it which do you support?
You seem to have forgot to mention the liberals' way of "supporting" the war:
1. Run around yelling, "We can't win, We can't win!"
2. Claim that American soldiers are "terrorists" who are killing babies and torturing innocents.
3. Saying that the brave members of our volunteer defense forces only enlisted because they were all poor, uneducated men and women who had no other opportunities.
4. And my favorite, "I support our troops but I don't support the war." That is the most asinine comment of them all! You can't do one without the other moron! Just ask our troops if they think it is possible.

Okay, I feel better now. I realize that this isn't the place for a political debate and I'm sorry. I will now go sit in the corner for punishment and promise not to make any further posts pertaining to politics.

iceondsom said:
2. Claim that American soldiers are "terrorists" who are killing babies and torturing innocents.
3. Saying that the brave members of our volunteer defense forces only enlisted because they were all poor, uneducated men and women who had no other opportunities.
4. And my favorite, "I support our troops but I don't support the war." That is the most asinine comment of them all! You can't do one without the other moron! Just ask our troops if they think it is possible.
Okay, I feel better now. I realize that this isn't the place for a political debate and I'm sorry. I will now go sit in the corner for punishment and promise not to make any further posts pertaining to politics.

100% with you on that! :hatsoff:

Last edited:
iceondsom said:

Right On Brother!!:up

I count 31 channels on dish family plan. The Press release talked about 40. So there are still 9 possible channels. The PR even says "More to be announced soon".
So maybe HGTV, Disney East & West, don't yet have contracts.
I would love to also have History, TLC and Discovery for my ultimate package.

Not a bad deal

This actually looks like an attractive package to supplement OTA reception. I shut off Dish Network a few months ago and found I still got shopping channels, CCTV9, NASA, and until mid-December MSNBC. Instead of MSNBC now they have Fox "news". For the price this package just might get me back as a subscriber. Ideally I'd love ala carte channels or at least a choose your channels package for so much.

techpuppy said:
This actually looks like an attractive package to supplement OTA reception.......... Ideally I'd love ala carte channels or at least a choose your channels package for so much.
After Feb. 1, customers such as yourself who are pulling locals via OTA reception will be able to drop local channels through your dish and realize a $5 reduction in your monthly bill. Good news for you!

If subscription TV providers like E*, D*, and cable companies are forced by the government to provide a la carte programming someday it probably won't be as low priced as what people are dreaming of. Why you ask? The reason is that content providers such as Viacom and others sell their channels in bundles. For instance, if E* wanted to purchase the rights to offer just Comedy Central from Viacom they could not do so. If E* wants to purchase the rights to offer Comedy Central they must also do the same for channel x, channel y, and channel z.

Now let's say that a la carte is mandated by the government (which the govt has no right doing). Let's also say that channels x, y, and z are fluff or niche channels that only a small minority of E* customers end up subscribing to. Obviously E* paid big $$$ for the package including Comedy Central and channels x, y, and z.
E* isn't going to make back their money for the package based on the subscriptions to channels x, y, and z. So guess which channel is going to carry the load of the cost? That's right, the more popular channel, Comedy Central becomes rather pricey.

Last edited:
The government will not mandate a la carte, they'll ban the practice of bundling - just as they did to the movie studios over 50 years ago. E* will get a price per channel and offer it at a price that includes their mark-up. If a network jacks up the price, they'll have to deal with dramatically lower subscribership. Whatever price it settles on will be priced to maximize demand/revenue.

The scare tactics of $5 - $10 for basic cable channels is BS (except for ESPN which is close to that already). Those numbers are assuming that networks will just take current revenue and divide by the number of actual viewers (potential subscribers) without accounting for the actual impact on subscribership at that price.

They'll have to adjust.

BFG said:
I dunno what the deal is. It's been a while now that the lease requirement has been at least AT60 (which for HD would be DishBronze) but will leased receivers be able to subscribe to the family Pack? You would think so since all most everyone dish has signed up since 2004 has been a lease
I'm very confused with everything Dish is doing. Too many changes for me. But I tell you, I would sign up for this pack and add the HD pack if I could. Sounds like a good deal to me. Lots of good ch's being offered....and more to come.

Scott Greczkowski said:
There is no HD pack like we have today after February 1st.
So if I have the HD package now, which I do, come 2/1 I will have to subscribe to 1 of the new packages at about 200% increase to keep what I have plus get other HD channels that I have no interest in?:mad: :mad: I looked at the new channels and the only thing that I have a slight chance of watch above what I have now would be ESPN2HD.

Doesn't sound very good to me.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

NR2D said:
So if I have the HD package now, which I do, come 2/1 I will have to subscribe to 1 of the new packages at about 200% increase to keep what I have plus get other HD channels that I have no interest in?:mad: :mad: I looked at the new channels and the only thing that I have a slight chance of watch above what I have now would be ESPN2HD.
Doesn't sound very good to me.
Rich Dunklee
NR2D

I think what Scott is implying is that the new HD packs will be only HD packs available to be activated after Feb 1. If you have already activated smaller and cheaper current HD for $9.99 or HD+Voom for $14.99 with legacy Mpeg2 only HD receiver, you will be able to keep what you have, however if you cancel or upgrade to a new Mpeg4 HD receiver, your cheaper HD or HD+Voom will no longer be available and if you lease that new receiver you will be required to maintain at least HD Bronze or above, if you buy and do not want the HD packs you will be charged $6/mo extra just to activate the new Mpeg4 receiver in order to access HD locals and or Premium channel HD's.

That great it includes Fox News and CSTV since I would prefer them over ESPN and CNN. Too bad it doesn't include SciFi and the History channels tho. I'm sure too many programs on SciFi wouldn't be considered "family friendly" but I like Battle Star Galactica.

Ala Carte = Access Fee unless a minimal amount of channels or a package is ordered or to be eligible for a special promotion or in order to lease a receiver (lease fee).

The next nine channels will go to the first come first serve to those channels that give Dish the best deal to get in the package.

How can you have a "family pack" without Noggin?

The ONE freakin' SD channel my family watches..

So, I have a 921 now that is not activated...I would like to move to the family pack come Feb 1 and add the HD channels...do we know if that will be possible? Do I need to go ahead and activate the 921?
Man, I wish there was a clear thread with all that is happening on Feb 1...
Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)