DIsh Network just called me at home

Robert NTSC Archivist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Southwestern West Virginia
Wanted to make sure I knew that December 1st was fast approaching and to tell me that Dish Network was going to send an installer out on Thanksgiving Day to profesionaly install a NEW roof top antenna.

Explained to the CSR that Thanksgiving was a Holiday (he is in India) and did not know so we settled on 28 Nov 2006 from 8-12 p.m..

I also explained that I had a roof top antenna and it did not work. Its a good one from Radio Shack that pulls in the two truly local stations WOAY ABC and PBS fine but leaves no mercy for NBC (weak) or FOX not at all available.

I just wonder what kind of Antenna Dish is going to give me that is so great that I wont notice the difference between New York and Los Angeles.

And I did not geve the CSR a hard time being one for AT&T my self (at least temporarly)

Bob

Dish does not have to cut the distants, law change at last moment so I read in the newspaper.

Dish does not have to cut the distants, law change at last moment so I read in the newspaper.

Unless I missed something, E* still needs to turn of the DNS signals. That is unless the senate, house and GWB pass and sign a new bill before 12/1, which isn't going to happen. E*'s back in the courts asking for the ruling to be delayed again based on this new piece of legistation being introduced.

Unless I missed something, E* still needs to turn of the DNS signals. That is unless the senate, house and GWB pass and sign a new bill before 12/1, which isn't going to happen. E*'s back in the courts asking for the ruling to be delayed again based on this new piece of legistation being introduced.
Yep. They must abide by the judges ruling until the law gets passed by both houses and signed by GWB. And the article states that won't happen in this session.

So it will be up to the new Demo Congress after the new year!! :D

Yes way. Good clean speaking English but having just retired from the Navy after 20 years there are many countrys that speak English. He was accented but spoke very good English but did NOT know Thanksgiving was a holiday here in the USA till I told him it was a holiday.

Bob

There's a Senate bill. There's a lot of hurdles yet to be gone over. 1 is the House needs to come up with THEIR version of an acceptable bill. Then they need to get with the Senate to come to an agreement for one bill to be voted on. Then *if* they can agree, the President needs to decide if he'll sign it. If he does Dish can put Distants back on the air.. if not it goes back to Congress for a veto override.

All of this will take many many months. I don't think you'll see anything happen until after the new year at the earliest.

Admittedly the Senate bill is a great start but 12/1 people will lose DNS. There's absolutely no way around it unless the courts agree to a stay pending the Congressional action. I don't think that will happen.

What about all of us that have already had our DNS cut off, if this is passed will they turn us back on?? My locals are awful....

No, if you have locals you will not get DNS back even if this law passes. EVERYONE will have to requalify. So unless you legally qualify you are out of luck.

I actually meant I didn't think it possible to motivate the senators to even start this process. I wasn't expecting any real action from the campaign of calling and e-mailing. It's nice to see them listening and acting, particularly ones who have some clout.

This bill is, at best, going to restore (not stop from losing - just restore) the distants that will get pulled between now and Dec 1st but only for those that do not have satellite LiLs available in their DMA AND can't get them OTA.

That said, this could be a good opportunity to maybe get some SHVERA law revisited - especially specifics for digital (HD) broadcasts and looked at by some new faces that weren't around for the previous sessions (FWTW).

The whole issue of analog vs digital signals needs to be completely separated - not only in terms of qualifying and testing but for retransmission rights too. Right now analog law is holding back digital distribution.

It needs to be made clear that even though someone can get analog network signals (from whatever source), it should have no bearing on whether one is qualified to receive HD DNS. To me comparing analog to HD is like comparing color tv to black & white tv.

Someone can spend thousands on HD equipment and some little low power repeater can prevent them from qualifying for HD DNS.

India? My AMERICAN EXPRESS calls go there now. ps..the tv show "30 Days" sends unlikely people to spend 30 days together. The CSR who lost his job here moved to India, lived with the equal and worked in the call center. His judgement after 30 days? They desperately need the job, to the extreme that he was glad he could give it. And the arizona boarder vigilante? same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts