Dish Network local channels only - how does one get these??

carlscheider

Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
My local installed tells me that I can call and get local channels only for 9.99 a month, if I pay for the receiver.

He says they'll likely sell me one cheaper than he can - and he'll be glad to put the antenna up.

I would like that a lot! Digital TV reception here is bad news. Sometimes I get 12 channels, and then I get 0.

And what's with that?

I'm sorry if this question has been answered somewhere. I searched a bit and could not find it.

If you can't help me, I may have to call them!! What a thought!

Thanks.

you need to own the receiver. You can find one on Ebay

subscribe to just locals for 5.99 a month + a 6.00 BS fee or pay 14.99 which is the "Welcome Pack" that gives you like 15 chanenls and then add the locals

If HD locals are available, you'll get the Big 4 in most cases

The trouble with OTA reception for most people when they have strong signal one moment and nothing the next is "ghosting" or multi-path reception.

Digital Tuners are an all or nothing kind of thing. When the old analog TVs would have a picture that would shift or ghost a digital tuner will drop out completely!

The cure for MOST people is to put DOWN the aerials to make the signal weaker. This way the multi-path signal is below the threshold where it will knock out your picture.

Another problem is sometimes a lot of trees blowing around causing multi-path reception. On a windy day I have trouble with some channels. On a calm day they are perfect.

I have mentioned this here many times and many people think I am crazy. From personal experience with my TVs and at least two dozen friends and neighbors whom I have helped, it works!

Again this is for people who get strong signals one moment and then nothing the next and it applies to the vast majority of city and suburb dwellers.

See ya
Tony

If you are not a current Dish customer you can sign up for their free-for-all program. Basically purchase what ever receiver you want and subscribe to locals only.