Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Dish Network has made it official: It’s moving into wireless.

In a filing this week with the Federal Communications Commission, the satellite television provider applied for approval to combine satellite spectrum licenses to use for mobile broadband services.

“We are excited about the opportunity to put this nationwide spectrum to productive use for competitive and innovative mobile broadband services,” Dish’s executive vice president Tom Cullen said in a statement on Tuesday.

“The regulatory flexibility we are seeking is consistent with FCC precedent while benefiting consumers by providing greater choice and broader service coverage,” he added.

The plan would be similar to that of LightSquared, the satellite mobile broadband company funded by hedge fund billionaire Philip Falcone. LightSquared has run into trouble over interference concerns by the Federal Aviation Administration and companies that rely on GPS technology.

Dish’s network wouldn’t operate on the same band as GPS and wouldn’t encounter the same concerns over interference.

The FCC has touted the potential of LightSquared to bring new competition to the mobile broadband industry.

With the move, Dish pushes forward with its plan to become a bigger player in media and telecommunications. Here’s our Sunday Business feature from last April on Dish’s vision.

The company has been on a buying spree with the acquisition of TerreStar and DBSD — both of which hold satellite spectrum licenses. The Englewood, Colo.-based company also bought Blockbuster out of bankruptcy, a move aimed directly at Netflix, which has soared in popularity with its Internet-streaming video.

The application filed earlier this week specifically asks the FCC to approve the transfer of TerreStar’s S-Band licenses to Dish and combine that application with Dish’s previous application for DBSD S-Band licenses.

"Sorry Charlie" but count me out! :p

What good is a phone that will get "Dish-connected" when it rains

just like your satellite TV looses it signal??? :confused:

Charlie can keep his hands out of my wireless service.

Amen to that! Me? I'm just tired of HUGE corporations getting "huge-er". Doesn't (usually) do a thing (good) for the average consumer. Looks "going in" like its a new option for end-users, then eventually greed of the growing entity buying OUT another kills off yet another service provider and we all lose! Happened with Verizon taking over Alltel. We LOST towers and coverage in my county!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts