Dish Network NOT offerring 1080p (Yes they are)

moretoexplore

Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Not in entirety... I just confirmed with Dish technical support and the only movie they offer in 1080p is "I am Legend." There is no update as to when they will add more. I just had the service installed two weeks ago and feel a little mislead. I'm happy with my service overall but this isn't the best way to start.

I have an Apple TV and will continue to order my PPV through iTunes. Right now there is no reason to spend a premium ($6.99) for Dish PPV or On Demand movies. You're not getting anything of value in return.

They are doing one per month for now, however they wil ramp it up once they everything working correctly.

Currenty 1080p is a beta test for Dish, it was like a race to the moon so that they can claim that they were the first satellite provider to transmit in 1080p. They won that race.

While DirecTV is also testing 1080p, they are doing it over the internet and not over the satellite like Dish Network is doing currently.

It seems someone has edited my post topic and added (yes they are). I guess I am as guilty as Dish Network for being misleading?

I'll confirm on my 722 when I get home but when I spoke to the tech support, "supervisor," they said they were only offerring "I am Legend" on a PPV channel. Seems that the tech support people should know before all of us.

I've got ONE movie I can view in 1080p

I think it's a little early for them to be bragging about 1080p and shouting it from the roof tops! Give me a break.

They are shouting because they were the first to transmit 1080p via satellite.

Its just like here in America we like to boast that Americans were the first to reach the moon.

DirecTV still has not sent any 1080p via satellite, its all done via the Internet.

Dish has something to crow about, they did it. And as they finish working the bgs out of it, they will expand their offerings. Rome was not built in a day.

They are doing one per month for now, however they wil ramp it up once they everything working correctly.

Currenty 1080p is a beta test for Dish, it was like a race to the moon so that they can claim that they were the first satellite provider to transmit in 1080p. They won that race.

While DirecTV is also testing 1080p, they are doing it over the internet and not over the satellite like Dish Network is doing currently.

Scott, in the E* press release about 1080p, DISH Network Corporation - DISH Network(R) Unveils Biggest High Definition Upgrade in TV History there is not one mention that 1080p is in beta testing. It says "By early August, all DISH Network customers with MPEG-4 HD DVR receivers will have the only set-top boxes in the nation enabled to display 1080p content, allowing them to maximize the full potential of their 1080p-compatible HDTV sets.

To celebrate this new era in the high definition viewing experience, DISH Network is offering subscribers a special deal in August to enjoy the unparalleled picture and sound of 1080p high definition programming. Starting August 1, Warner Bros. Pictures' blockbuster "I Am Legend" starring Will Smith will be available in 1080p resolution -- same as Blu-ray(R) Disc quality -- on DISH Network's VOD service, DISH On Demand, at a discounted price. Subscribers with MPEG-4 HD DVRs may order the movie on DISH Network Channel 501."

Maybe next time the E* hype maching should mention that things like this are in beta and not make it sound like everyone with the proper receiver will be able to view it?

Maybe next time the E* hype maching should mention that things like this are in beta and not make it sound like everyone with the proper receiver will be able to view it?
As with D*, only the modern HD DVRs can order and receive the content. The issue isn't the receiver but the display device itself. It doesn't seem to make much sense to pay for a 1080p version of a movie if your TV doesn't indicate that it is capable of displaying it in 1080p.

I'll confirm on my 722 when I get home but when I spoke to the tech support, "supervisor," they said they were only offerring "I am Legend" on a PPV channel. Seems that the tech support people should know before all of us.

:haha You're joking, right? A CSR knowing more about what Dish offers (or is doing) than many of us here? How long have you been reading this forum? These guys don't even seem to be subscribers, and certainly get minimum training. Of course, reception is poor in Bangalore.

If the guide lists 2 movies as 1080p (not everyone gets everything at the same time), as reported here, you can count on it. We have folks here that read their streams and can see what's coming, and others who have contacts in upper levels of Dish (at least higher than "customer service") and who share tidbits. If you cling to thinking the CSRs always know what they're talking about, you're in for a fall. Try calling 2 or 3 times and asking a question, see how many different answers you get.

I'm not bashing Dish, just commenting on how things are. I'm quite happy with my service.

As with D*, only the modern HD DVRs can order and receive the content. The issue isn't the receiver but the display device itself. It doesn't seem to make much sense to pay for a 1080p version of a movie if your TV doesn't indicate that it is capable of displaying it in 1080p.

Sorry but what does your response have to do with Scott saying that this is in beta with Dish and my asking if in beta why wasn't that mentioned in the Dish press release? And AFAIK, I don't think we know for sure is it bad info coming from the display or how the STB is reacting to it since people report connecting other devices to displays and having 1080p/24 work just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)