Dish Network Offers First Nationwide Karaoke Channel

From what I've heard, Dish can't get some of those channels because other Pay TV providers have shelled out mega-$$$ for exclusivity contracts, or the programmers are demanding exorbitant amounts of ca$h. Yes, if you're a yankee fan, YES might be nice, but would you be willing to pay $15/month or more for it, or make everybody's rates go up again like the Viacom Crap? I'm certain plenty of people felt like "If it means that I'll have to pay Dish Network a lot more $, my kids can just do without Sponge Bob, and I don't want my teenagers watching MTV anyhow, I've seen cleaner content on the adult channels!" (To quote one person I read about on a forum elsewhere)

D* pays less than $2 a month (or this is what they were paying when they first got the service three years ago.... it probably has gone up).

If they were to make it optional, then it might go to $15 a month (SportsChannel used to cost $10 a month in the early 90's on Cablevision, where it was an optional channel. They soon made it mandatory and built it into the monthly charge for their midtier package).

I you want YES Network, go elsewhere like Charlie said before. If you live in NY Region Sports of YES, check your cable company. If you do not want cable, D* is the only alternative.

I've been wondering what they intended to do with the 921's non-functional Mic input. Now I know it's for karaoke on the still missing Dish Home. Good thing I can't sing!

When will people realize that unless you want to watch the clock channel or sing some karaoke all the while waiting for the next big international channel that charlie is stupid and we would all be better off with D*. Atleast they have a plan for hd programming. When Charlie finally decides to add HD it will be some chinese or korean HD channel. Or if we are real lucky we will get to watch a great game of Cricket in HD. Get real E*..

Can someone clue me in on whether or not this is the "I hate DISH Karaoke" thread or the "Let's complain some more about Charlie" thread? I was looking for factual information about the Karaoke offering, since this would be a hit at parties here at the house and apparently I am looking in the wrong place for it.

Dear God tell me you are kidding about this? There is no way in hell this has to be real. I mean really how many danm dvd players we have out there already that do kareokee as it is with no subscription fee. Boy ohh boy.

Well, yeah... The X-Box can even do it, but the problem comes with having a nice source of content.

I wanted it to be an actual thread about Dish Karaoke, but everyone crapped on it :(

Hopefully it'll actually come up WLong, still some time left in April to deliver. I think it will be kinda quirky and fun also.

Maybe its a west coast thing, but Karaoke is pretty popular up this way. The cool thing about the DISH Offering is that you dont have to go hunt around for content. I'd try it out to see how large the song library is.

Thanks for the info BFG! :)

A large song library would be nice, but it would be nicer if you could actually make selections from that library yourself. As I understand, it will just be two separate continuous streams of songs (grouping and separating different genres into the two streams). Then you just wait for one you like, I guess. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... (I'm not a karaoke fan, so I don't plan on keeping up too much on this...)

Ahh, if they choose the songs for you, then no thanks. I thought you could go through a library and select songs and have them group those songs in to 2 "stages".

I'd love to see these channels a-la-carte:

The Anime network
The NFL Network
ESPNU

I wouldn't mind paying about $10 each if that was the only way I could get them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)