Dish Network Prepaid Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No need to purchase new equipment to get the new smartcard to continue using your prepaid system.

Last monday at midnight I wrote up a long email about all the prepaid problems I was having. At 9am mountain time monday morning they began to act on all the problems and over the last week I have been working with a fellow at dish who reports directly to one of the founders of the company. The top people at the company were not aware of all these problems until I sent all of them a "corporate carpet email" After that they called me back almost immediatly when they opened monday morning and the ball started rolling.

They sent me a smartcard already and I have already done the prepaid smartcard swap, there were lots of kinks in their process that hopefully they have now worked out.
I believe I was the first prepaid swap according to prepaid customer service and they had to get IT and engineering involved to update everthing in multiple data bases, dish authorization data base to move your days to the new G3, the prepaid database to keep track that your R# is now remarried with with new S#, etc. It was pretty impressive how much was involved, eventually they got it all worked out when they realized that they needed to add my zip code to the new smartcard activation info, As you all remember a zip is required when you activate prepaid boxes.

Based on your programming if you have a 2 weeks till expiration popup message on your screen telling you to replace your smartcard (not the same as your PIN days info) by a specific date you need to call to request one through the prepaid number, not the one on the onscreen msg. To get your new smart card please contact the prepaid support phone number by immediatly pressing 0 when it starts up instead of options 1-4, and then ask for a card exchange agent when you get someone on the line, then tell them you need to sign up for the dishnow prepaid smartcard swap, they should take your R# and S#, your name, what ever address you want to give them to send it to if you are an RVer, and a phone number and email in case there is a problem processing your new card, They should also inform you that you will receive a new $40 dishnow pin along with the new G3 smartcard for your trouble. If they don't mention it to them. Once you get your new smartcard there is another process to follow which is also complicated so that is why they give you the free $40.00 pin. The instructions that come with your new smartcard are kind of confusing because it lists your R# and your old S# on the sheet of paper but not your new S# so you should hand write it below the other numbers on the instructions, you can find it on the back of your card it should start with S19 or something like that.

One of my major problems has also now been resolved as of this afternoon, they now have all the internationals prepaids in the guide @ 118 and working if you are an international sub who was previously stuck on 61.5 or 148. The internationals are leaving 61.5 and 148 soon so now you will have to get them from 118. Video quality of TV Globo (channels 596 or 814) @ 118 is much better than it was @ 61.5, does not look overcompressed, and the transponder quality for TV Globo @ 118 is 109% instead of 52% @ 148. I guess I wont need my sub anymore to TV Globo from DirecTVworld direct.

I still have a few other issues that I need to work out with them next week like missing authorizations or guide channels in different prepaid packages but at least now I can feel sure that I can still receive my current programming that I prepay for and that prepaid internationals are going to live on @ 118.

Last edited:
Any chance you can ask other questions of DISH corporate?

The top people at the company were not aware of all these problems until I sent all of them a "corporate carpet email"

r10fret any chance you can ask them about the future of the service?

1) The chance of using a DISH 322 dual output satellite receiver?
2) Do they know about this forum, probably the one and only thread helping prepaid folks?
3) Is there a product manager for prepaid?

On a side note, do you usually use the green dot MoneyPak card or DishNOW! card?

P.S. Danke for the efforts!

Prepaid needed a trip to the emergency room.

r10fret any chance you can ask them about the future of the service?

1) The chance of using a DISH 322 dual output satellite receiver?
2) Do they know about this forum, probably the one and only thread helping prepaid folks?
3) Is there a product manager for prepaid?

On a side note, do you usually use the green dot MoneyPak card or DishNOW! card?

P.S. Danke for the efforts!

I have always used a dishnow pin until this month when the future of the prepaid service seemed uncertain and I began using a GDMP which ends up costing $5 extra per load.

I doubt they know about this thread, if they did perhaps I would not have had to go to extremes to get results.

I asked who exactly is/was incharge of this prepaid platform and it sounded like there were some internal problems involved that they did not want to elaborate on. The person I have been in communications with is the program manager in charge of all the channel relocations for all of dishnetwork, such as the international move to 118. He decides when a channel will leave one location for good, he does the planning and follows the upgrade/ satellite dish relocation progress of all the subs that have a certain channel.

I will mention to them that it would be helpful if they could set up a special email address for people with prepaid something like dishnow@ or prepaid@

Nothing was brought up about a new prepaid receiver model, as I stated previously the next logical step would be to get everyone over to a MPEG4 capable box. DP322 is not MPEG4 or 8PSK capable so why go there.

One interested thing I noticed is that dishmexico pack is now available on dishnow phone number it costs the same as dish family pack $0.66 a day on GDMP or 60 days for $40.00 pin

Two rooms now, not tomorrow

Nothing was brought up about a new prepaid receiver model, as I stated previously the next logical step would be to get everyone over to a MPEG4 capable box. DP322 is not MPEG4 or 8PSK capable so why go there.

Logic is one thing, practicality is another. I want to use prepaid in two rooms and I thought prepaid was an easy way for DISH to dump refurbished receivers back in the market to make additional income. I also question whether or not the majority of folks using prepaid have HDTVs.

r10fret, thank you for the very informative response. It amazes me that a company that large does not have a staff member assigned the responsibility of monitoring forums like this.

Since I have not used prepaid Dish in quite some time, I am not familiar with the "prepaid support" telephone number. Is this the number you call to order the service? If someone could post the "prepaid support" telephone number, I will start the swap process in hopes of receiving the new card before I leave.

Again, thank you
Paul

The point is dish is trying to get everything converted over to MPEG4/8PSK as quickly as possible whether it is HD or SD, when the MPEG2 international finally leaves 61.5 then the entire eastern arc (61.5/72.5/77) will be all MPEG4. Once they are done with EARC they could go on to convert everything else not MPEG4 already at 129, 118, and 148, last to convert would be core SD at 110 and 119. Just where the industry is headed.

Prepaid support is the phone# on your system info screen, power off / press info. You will also find the R and S numbers there that you will need to provide.

Maybe Prepaid should charge $5 for second 301 receiver?

The point is dish is trying to get everything converted over to MPEG4/8PSK as quickly as possible whether it is HD or SD

I thought the 301 receiver isn't 8PSK compatible? Well, I am desperate for a two room DISH Network prepaid solution. Hell, charge us an extra $5 fee for a second 301 receiver, like if we didn't have a phone line.

r10fret where did you obtain the email addresses for the executives please? I'd like to write them about using a second receiver.

Why not just become a regular sub if you need 2 or more receivers for the price of one.

The 3900, 301, 311, 322 none of these current or rumored prepaid models will ever do MPEG4/8PSK.

I did not obtain the emais, If you know the full names of some of the people in the dish/echo corporate profile it isnt to hard to figure out though. That is all I will tell you. Of course it is a means of last resort for serious long term issues that impact tens of 1000s of subs like the prepaid smartcard and prepaid internationals @ 118 issue, I am sure they like hearing the experiences of average users, but it is not to be abused for everyday problems and suggestions. If you have certain people in mind to write to try to be concise and polite, and have some ideas or remedies already worked out for them to look into.

r10fret said:
Of course it is a means of last resort for serious long term issues.

Please, not to bash you, but come on, these guys are sheltered from everything. I could figure out the emails for sure, just thought you could be cordial and save some of the effort. It sounds like you are PR for DISH.

Why not just become a regular sub if you need 2 or more receivers for the price of one.
Okay, I could say the same back to you. Why go through the hassle of exchanging your card when you could easily get a sub? There are benefits to using prepaid and not being locked into a crappy one-sided contract.

The 3900, 301, 311, 322 none of these current or rumored prepaid models will ever do MPEG4/8PSK.
Why is DISH Network still pumping 301s out to dealers with all of your logic? I just bought one a month ago that had the new G3 card bundled with it. DISH putting out the 322 for prepaid wouldn't be that big of a deal.

As I stated several posts ago, I appreciate your effort with the G3 swap scoop.

I could figure out the emails for sure, just thought you could be cordial and save some of the effort.

Cordiality works other ways as well, why post their info in the public domain?

Not to discount any of your issues, many of which I actually share, but the prepaid system was in need of immediate care and I thought that it was important enough now that the holidays were over and everybody was back to work to get the actual executives involved and let them all know they are just as responsible for ensuring that prepaid dishnetwork subscriptions work as well as regular dish network subscriptions. Evidently they must have thought it was important enough to act since they did not treat me like a second class prepaid sub like the 15 previous times I contacted the company and basically got no where.

Trying to call 18883474132, on screen phone number for Prepaid. However does not connect?

Thanks

Yes the phone number is currently down, I just tried it to see if it was working.

Perhaps they are making some updates , I know that they have an interface up there that asks you if there have been any changes to your satellite system? if you say yes it gives you 3 more options, press 1 to enter your new smart card #, press 2 to change your zip code, press 3 to change your satellite dishes orbital location. They need to get 118 added since 110/119, and 61.5 or 148 were the only choices to qualify to order international programming.

Looks like it was down all day and still down. If they did it, why would a business just down a major phone line and not give the customer any notice or at least forward it to a voice line!

Just a rant on bad customer service if true

Thanks

I was finally able to add programming at 11:30am (Eastern).

I emailed a few execs last night, 1 a.m. CST, about the phone number problem. Don't know if my email helped rectify the phone number problem or not. My feeling is no one from DISH monitors prepaid.

Amiga,

Please let us know if you have any results following the formula.

Today, I added 1 day of internationals as a test to another receiver to make sure it also had 118 enabled, so now I can confirm that the 3900 prepaid with a new G3 smartcard used with a dishpro adapter inline and the 301 prepaid that came with a G3 are both compatible wth the 118 prepaid internationals.

To test 118 reception I had to make my own 118 dish using an old primestar 39" reflector and 118 FSS circular LNBF which I cable tied to the focal point. net cost was $18 for LNBF $2 for cable ties and I got the primestar dish free out of the gutter about a decade ago.
Much cheaper than the $150 for a superdish 500 + .

I still have to work out who should have to pay to upgrade international prepaid subs to a real Dish 500+ dish/lnbf setup for 110/118/119. Dish corporate said initially that installers and self installers of prepaid were instructed to install international subs on 118 since 2007, However, as we all know 118 prepaid was not turned on until last week so it would have been impossible to install a prepaid on 118 prior to 4 pm eastern 01/16/09.

I have recordings of the entire dish prepaid phone system and the check switch sequence options that only allows 61.5 or 148 for internationals, I also have documentation from 2007 that came with my prepaid receiver originally stating prepaid internationals are only available on 61.5 and 148, back in 2007 internationals were also on 121, back in 2007 I remember testing to see if I could get them from 121 and they were not turned on for prepaid at 121 either.

Will be interesting to see how they handle this one, I am still waiting for word back on this particular matter regarding the free upgrade to a 500+ dish that is advertised in the onscreen slate when I sub to and tune channels 620, 621 @ 61.5.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)