dish network question/complaint

cpauley

Original poster
May 10, 2011
wv
Hello gang. This is my first post so please forgive me if haven't found the info in a prior post.

Nearly a year ago I signed up for Dish after my cable company could not install HD at my new home. During my discussion with the rep I was given a price for HD DVR and my package including a few months of HBO. I was told because of my mailer offer I would receive a gift card rebate after install. Once my installed came my box (222) was hooked up and I signed off on the papers. A week or two later I called in with questions on how to use the DVR function only to find out re vip222k does not support dvr. I asked if thy would exchange out the receiver. They said no. I hung up frustrated and tried again a few weeks later. This time I even offered to add another receiver to my package. I was told I needed to pay $200 upgrade fee. At that point I asked about early termination and was told $200. I asked if they prefer I close the account instead of adding services. The rep seemed like he didn't care either way. I sucked it up and have kept the service until recently finding out my auto pay was stopped. I called in again to inquire about hat and was told to fill out the form on the back of my bill (paperless billing) to add it again. Frustrated again I asked about my termination. My penalty is now 280. I could not get an answer on how it went up months later. She mentioned something about my new package which has not been changed since I activated service. I have been toying with the idea of leaving dish for directv or just buying a 722 receiver on ebay.

What do you folks suggest? Is my situation typical for a customer of dish?

Sorry, but you should have done more research before purchase. That being said, I have 2 good things for you: One, you can pick up a new ViP211 for around $100 - $150 (click on DishStore at the top of the page), and you can turn it into a sorta DVR. Second, I expect a member of DIRT will be here shortly, perhaps with other options.

Hello gang. This is my first post so please forgive me if haven't found the info in a prior post.

Nearly a year ago I signed up for Dish after my cable company could not install HD at my new home. During my discussion with the rep I was given a price for HD DVR and my package including a few months of HBO. I was told because of my mailer offer I would receive a gift card rebate after install. Once my installed came my box (222) was hooked up and I signed off on the papers. A week or two later I called in with questions on how to use the DVR function only to find out re vip222k does not support dvr. I asked if thy would exchange out the receiver. They said no. I hung up frustrated and tried again a few weeks later. This time I even offered to add another receiver to my package. I was told I needed to pay $200 upgrade fee. At that point I asked about early termination and was told $200. I asked if they prefer I close the account instead of adding services. The rep seemed like he didn't care either way. I sucked it up and have kept the service until recently finding out my auto pay was stopped. I called in again to inquire about hat and was told to fill out the form on the back of my bill (paperless billing) to add it again. Frustrated again I asked about my termination. My penalty is now 280. I could not get an answer on how it went up months later. She mentioned something about my new package which has not been changed since I activated service. I have been toying with the idea of leaving dish for directv or just buying a 722 receiver on ebay.

What do you folks suggest? Is my situation typical for a customer of dish?

Send your phone number or account number in a PM and I'll make sure we get you taken care of. I can clear up any unanswered questions also

The whole mess sounds like there is missing pieces. First if you have HD and you want a HD DVR, if you have the service plan it would be 15 dollars, if not 100 dollars. Or you could just get the plan now. You would want a 722 or 722K those are DVRs. I have read how some people have such a time with the CS or installers and I have upgraded switched out receivers added and pulled back programming with no problem. You said t you signed off on it install. When the tech showed you the equipment didn't you ask how to record? Every time I had a tech out it was painful having him go thru all the features but if I had questions that was the time. Seems like there is a lot of mis communication on this account. Was this a third party or where you deal directly with Dish from the start?

The whole mess sounds like there is missing pieces. First if you have HD and you want a HD DVR, if you have the service plan it would be 15 dollars, if not 100 dollars. Or you could just get the plan now. You would want a 722 or 722K those are DVRs. I have read how some people have such a time with the CS or installers and I have upgraded switched out receivers added and pulled back programming with no problem. You said t you signed off on it install. When the tech showed you the equipment didn't you ask how to record? Every time I had a tech out it was painful having him go thru all the features but if I had questions that was the time. Seems like there is a lot of mis communication on this account. Was this a third party or where you deal directly with Dish from the start?
I don't wanna point fingers but I have seen this a million times. customer tried to stay in a budget, salesman stayed in that budget but failed the customers wants to make the sell, as far as the customer asking questions at the install who says they were there and didn't have someone sitting in which I have also seen a million times.

Research wasn't an issue. A rep gave me a quote. An installed came. I assume most customers aren't given model numbers of receivers when they order things. I just wanted certain features. For years I had cable. It was never a question if a cisco, Motorola, etc box came. I have had great luck with the actual service just some questionable assistance over the phone.

Also the rebate card thing never came. That's just shady. In hindsight I figure that the mailer was for a reseller and many issues stem from that.

Im a fairly rec savvy guy. I saw a button marked DVR. I assumed I could figure it out. The only question I asked was how to turn on child filtering which he showed me. I should've dug deeper but it was painless at that point. Installed was quick and made sure he wore little boot covers inside. I had no complaints. Funny thing is I never gave a budget. I asked for hd dvr and 2 tvs to be covered. Price came at the end and I said great lets do it.

Just going on the posters information, I don't see this as a research issue at all. And the comment on the rebate is probably very accurate, was not from Dish directly. I don't think the purchaser has to learn about all the receivers. I want an HD DVR should do it. If you want a specific DVR (say a 612 not a 722) then you have to do the research. Hopefully Matt will help out.

Last edited:
Matt gave me good info. I think I will purchase a 722k from a third party and add a dvr subscription. Not that Dish has been terrible but I don't really want to extend my contract another 24 months at this time. I also do not foresee any reasonable situation where paying the penalty to leave and starting over with another provider helps either. I appreciate the help.

If you buy a used 722 MAKE SURE you get the R00.... Number to matt before purchasing it. If the rcvr has a balance on it, the balance would need to be paid in full prior to activating the rcvr. Just my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you buy a used 722 MAKE SURE you get the R00.... Number to matt before purchasing it. If the rcvr has a balance on it, the balance would need to be paid in full prior to activating the rcvr. Just my advice.

Very sound advice. I've been looking for a 722k for myself on craigslist, and every receiver number I checked had a balance, or was leased (not eligible for transfer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)