Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK® ANNOUNCES EXPANSION OF LOCAL HD MARKETS
Satellite Provider Now Offers HD Locals in 107 Markets Covering 84 Percent of U.S. Households

WHAT: DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the digital television leader, today announced the addition of high definition local channels in six new markets.

WHERE: Boise, Idaho; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, Texas; Las Vegas, Nev.; Peoria, Ill.; and Reno, Nev.

WHEN: HD local channels became available to new and existing DISH Network® subscribers at approximately 5 p.m. ET on March 4, 2009.

HOW: DISH Network customers with an HD receiver and who subscribe to HD programming and HD locals will now receive high definition feeds of their broadcasts at no additional charge. For more information about DISH Network’s HD offerings, please visit www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

What's the deal? How can Indy with a metro population of 1 million plus, not have local HD channels? It's time for Dish to explain this situation.

*sigh* Wish I lived in a big city, rather than a small town like Indy. Maybe someday...but if not by the end of March, I'm gone....

Congrats to those who got their locals in HD, though!

Indy has to be close. But how annoying is the "soon" thing?

At least you have a promise of when it should come. Us here in Tucson, AZ, with a total population of 1.2 million, have NO PROMISE of when (or if) we will get local HD. We are now the largest DMA without them (or a promise of when they will come).

It would just be nice to get all of our HD local channels instead of just 3.
They keep adding new markets before they complete the ones they have.
C'mon DISH lite up our FOX 23 in HD WPFO Portland / Auburn Maine dma.

What's the deal? How can Indy with a metro population of 1 million plus, not have local HD channels? It's time for Dish to explain this situation.
+1

Although I'm used to Indy getting snubbed because of being a "small market" when referring to sports, I refuse to believe that Indiana's largest city; the nation's 14th largest city; the Midwest's 3rd largest city; and the 2nd most populous state capitol, has had to wait longer than Greenville, NC, Jackson, MS, Juneau, AK and Spokane, WA had to for local HD!!!

I mean no disrespect to fine citizens of those cities and states, but seriously...

It would just be nice to get all of our HD local channels instead of just 3.
They keep adding new markets before they complete the ones they have.
C'mon DISH lite up our FOX 23 in HD WPFO Portland / Auburn Maine dma.

If your station had been ready when all the others in Portland were ready, you would already have it. Someone at Max Media or the local Fox affiliate missed the boat.

well at least most of you get locals,i will never see them in the springfield/holyoke dma.and i am pretty sure about never,soon doesn't even fit into this topic.

Just as in the school yard as a child...

being one of the last picked SUCKS balls! Augusta, Ga is still without HD locals. Think of us as you all watch The Masters from right here in Augusta in sparkling HD and I myself sit here and watch it standard. :(

Indy has to be close. But how annoying is the "soon" thing?

At least you have a promise of when it should come. Us here in Tucson, AZ, with a total population of 1.2 million, have NO PROMISE of when (or if) we will get local HD. We are now the largest DMA without them (or a promise of when they will come).

Actually, until the Indy HD channels actually show up, Indianapolis is still the largest DMA without HD locals...so be patient...your turn is coming "soon"!!!...;)

I think these HD "additions" are a joke, after getting used to using an antenna, I would assume they not clutter my guide with a couple more channels. Three major networks, this isn't that "local." I still need my antenna for public TV, CBS, and 3 other local networks. Hardly worth the $5.00/mo. I wish I could view the over the air channels on my second non-HD TV, so I could avoid this extra charge.

Some complain cuz they don't have all hd locals. Some don't like the fact that they have to get their hd locals OTA.

There are always people that have it worse and these people need taken care of. I feel bad for indy people, but you guys live in a condensed area where recieving hd locals OTA is an option.

My situation is nearly as bad as it gets, I think. I do live in a top 100 DMA (johnstown, pa). Thus, seeing how nearly 110 markets are covered now, this is when I start to get steamed. Might be OK if we were one of the many scheduled for March, but we aren't. We finally made the list for "sometime after march"! Yay! That means...well...nothing! I may see another 30 DMA's lite up before ours.

Land-wise, this is a huge DMA and is a mountainous area. This, of course, means that the only people who can get OTA are maybe the 20% of the DMA who live real close to the broadcast towers. Many of us can't pick up a single station, not even a PBS HD! I checked on it, even with the nicest antenna (according to antennaweb.org), we would still have no luck.

OK, whatever. I would feel a lot better if direct tv people in our DMA had the same problem. But no, I sit here as my neighbors gloat about having ALL LOCAL HD (including the CW!). They will have had hd locals for 1 year this summer.

Our DMA includes a big part of Pittsburgh Steeler nation, and do you think dish has any clue how pissed us dish customers were all season watching horrendous sd broadcasts while our dtv neighbors got beautiful hd? Same with the super bowl, crap sd for us, great hd for them. And btw, the Steelers went to and won the super bowl.

Damn, some really pissed customers. Our DMA also houses a number of philly eagles fans and buffalo bills fans. They are SOL as well. Perhaps the best sports state in the world and us dish customers can't even get them in hd.

So that is my story of our pitiful DMA. Direct TV was smart enough to realize how important it was to take care of this DMA. And like I said, we are a top 100 DMA anyhow, so its not like DTV got them that early or anything.

I would feel a lot better right now if we at least we set for a month (like march). But I'd rather not be on a list than on a list saying (after march), which could mean we get hd locals in 2014 for all I know. Our contract is up in june, and if we don't see hd locals by may, there is a 100% chance of switching to dtv.

I know i'm complaining and other people have it just as bad (but many of these people are getting taken care of fast, and most of the rest at least know they are set for march or whatever). But being part of the 16% without hd locals, that sucks enough. Then of that 16% (maybe down to 10% by the time we get our hd locals)), I'll be part of the maybe 6% that can't get jack OTA either. So for those of you upset that you can only get some local HD OTA, we'd probably pay double just to be able to get 1 or 2 channels OTA & it would be the best TV day ever! Seriously, being in a top 100 DMA, I'd still be thrilled even to just get some local HD OTA. Sad but true.

Actually, until the Indy HD channels actually show up, Indianapolis is still the largest DMA without HD locals...so be patient...your turn is coming "soon"!!!...;)

No I agree, I mean Tucson, AZ is the highest/biggest DMA without any ANNOUNCEMENT of HD Locals coming. You guys have this month promised, and like 30 other DMA's have promises for sometime this year, but Tucson has no date or anything.

It IS ridiculous that Indy doesn't have them yet, just bizarre. And now I think it is nuts that here in Tucson, AZ we don't have any promise, but DMA's like Cheyenne, WY (DMA #198) have a promised date!

I know this is little comfort to those without HD locals, but my home DMA had never ever been mentioned for HD locals by E* and then magically it appeared in the table entries for Ciel 2 after it launched. I'm pretty sure they will have nearly every DMA covered that has all the major networks. Until the regulations change I doubt they will put up DMAs with only one or two of the four majors. The ones listed after March only take them through April by my reckoning as they are averaging around 6 per week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)