Dish network® meets 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, I'm glad for those of you to whom the Premiums are important, but for me (and I'm sure to many others) this announcement is equivalent to Dish adding 4 HD channels of little note.

Of course we all have our preferences, but I can only feel that this makes it much less likely Dish will add non-Premium HD (e.g. FX-HD, Speed-HD, RFD-HD, even WE-HD, Fox Business-HD) in the near future.

Bummer. :(

This list may be wrong, but looking over the channel listing for HD without SD channels...
  • HD Theater
  • HDNet
  • HDNet Movies
  • MGM
  • MHD
  • NBA
  • NHL
  • Smithsonian
  • Universal
  • WFN
10 channels here...

I hope this is a case of Dish talking/writing before they think about it.
Methinks this will be the 7 channels of HD Ultimate- HDNet, HD Theater, and MHD should still be safe... SHOULD

What is the difference in these packages except one is $10 more per month:

TurboHD Silver DishDVR Advantage: $39.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Gold DishDVR Advantage: $49.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

Is it really more expensive to license and Brodcast an HD only channel rather than a channel broadcast in both HD/SD? Why separate those few channels only broadcast in HD into their own package and charge more for them?

I realize that I'm getting a good deal with the HD only pack up to this point, it sounds as though that will not be the case "soon" probably Sooner than I get the HD channels I want to see added, almost definately so now seeing these channels come instead. There are only a few HD channels missing that I want, some I need because my wife or children want them. I am not going to list them the list of available but missing important HD channels is everywhere.

If Charlie keeps playing us for fools I hope that most of us will wise up eventually and take our chips to another table to play in a friendlier game.

What is the difference in these packages except one is $10 more per month:

TurboHD Silver DishDVR Advantage: $39.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

TurboHD Gold DishDVR Advantage: $49.99/month; includes core HD package, local channels and a free DVR receiver; Regional Sports Networks where available

7 channels... see this post from Scott, earlier (last picture)...

the HD Silver has 33
the HD Gold has 40

Why is it that every time E* does something all the D* folks pile on take it to the war zone not everyone really cares that D* had first and they count their beans this way and E* counts theirs that...... If D* is that much better then be happy and gloat in your own chats ..... :rolleyes:

Here is my best guess... and it sucks. In the retail chat thread, there are 41 HD channels identified. Add the 5 pay-per-view amd the 4 new HD channels, that gives you 50. There are 10 hd with no SD channels (the new HDTurbo PLatinum). Subtracting those, that gives you 40 - HDTurbo Gold. For the 33, there are 7 channels in in Ulitimate that are not in the Essentials; granted all 7 are part of the non-SD 10 so what are the 7 silver to gold channels, who knows.

Looks like at some point, $20/month. Then again, maybe we should wait to see wait Dish says...

Edit - I meant $20 more/month at some point.

Here is my best guess... and it sucks. In the retail chat thread, there are 41 HD channels identified. Add the 5 pay-per-view amd the 4 new HD channels, that gives you 50. There are 10 hd with no SD channels (the new HDTurbo PLatinum). Subtracting those, that gives you 40 - HDTurbo Gold. For the 33, there are 7 channels in in Ulitimate that are not in the Essentials; granted all 7 are part of the non-SD 10 so what are the 7 silver to gold channels, who knows.

Looks like at some point, $20/month. Then again, maybe we should wait to see wait Dish says...

Edit - I meant $20 more/month at some point.
As for the breakdowns, before the press release... I was wondering about how the channels would breakdown and think it will it will be co-ordinated with the similarly ranked AT package (AT100 = HDT Bronze, AT200 = HDT Silver, AT250 = HDT Gold). The spreadsheet I threw together might make better sense. It is here. (again, this is just my speculation - I am in the same boat as the rest of you...)

Why is it that every time E* does something all the D* folks pile on take it to the war zone not everyone really cares that D* had first and they count their beans this way and E* counts theirs that...... If D* is that much better then be happy and gloat in your own chats ..... :rolleyes:
What are you talking about? I have yet to see one person do what you are describing.

Originally Posted by jerryez
DirectTV makes the same claim! AND DID IT FIRST!
That is because DirecTV's HD RSN's are full time, unlike Dish. Which means Direct can make the claim and Dish cannot.

ummm you and jerryez...

It says HD only.:confused: I would think you would get your RSN SD along with the HD feed. Otherwise, people would miss out on a lot of games and other programming from their RSN. And what about the RSN Alternate channels? Still a lot of questions.

Yes, this is the key. I have been waiting for the inclusion of RSNs in the HD only pack but agree that it must include all RSN programming. We will see.

Roy

Does that mean E* is done for the year or might we see more HD channels added in the next few months with the launch of E11?

There may be some space left.

E11 goes to 110, and a sat from there goes to Eastern Arc. So in a way, yes, there may be more HD available this year- to Eastern Arc subs.

Well, I'm glad for those of you to whom the Premiums are important, but for me (and I'm sure to many others) this announcement is equivalent to Dish adding 4 HD channels of little note.

Of course we all have our preferences, but I can only feel that this makes it much less likely Dish will add non-Premium HD (e.g. FX-HD, Speed-HD, RFD-HD, even WE-HD, Fox Business-HD) in the near future.

Bummer. :(

I agree, I don't have the money to spend an extra $10-$15/movie pack but I do like my HD, would like to see AMC,FX,IFC,Spike & BBC America(when available) in HD:)