Dish network® meets 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, I'm glad for those of you to whom the Premiums are important, but for me (and I'm sure to many others) this announcement is equivalent to Dish adding 4 HD channels of little note.

Of course we all have our preferences, but I can only feel that this makes it much less likely Dish will add non-Premium HD (e.g. FX-HD, Speed-HD, RFD-HD, even WE-HD, Fox Business-HD) in the near future.

Bummer. :(

Couldn't agree more. Combine this with what amounts to a price increase, and this to me feels worse than dropping Voom.

So... the pay movie network channels count as National HD channels???
In this case, yes, in my opinion and most others, they do count. Using your logic, any HD channels not in AT100+HD shouldn't count. Let's presume AT100 is the "base" or lowest package available. There are channels in AT200+HD that an AT100 customer doesn't get, so those HD channels don't count ? Look at National Geographic Channel. It's only available in AT250 and up. Does NGC-HD not count either ?

Another point. Should the headline read, "Dish network WILL meet 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule"? "Meets" is present tense. When I read the headline I thought Dish just added a bunch of HD channels.
Scott's using Dish's "headline" word for word. Is it wrong ? Yes, it is. They may say they're adding them, but they ain't there today, so they've "met" nothing yet.

Originally Posted by jerryez
DirectTV makes the same claim! AND DID IT FIRST!
That is because DirecTV's HD RSN's are full time, unlike Dish. Which means Direct can make the claim and Dish cannot.

ummm you and jerryez...
ummm, no

One person was bringing up a comparison in an attempt to make it appear as if it is exactly the same. Well it isn't. I made a point of clarification to simply demonstrate the differences. Accuracy is the goal, not bragging.

Frankly I am glad Dish is adding more HD and I hope they continue to do so. Sorry if you misinterpreted my intentions.

If you look back at all of my previous posts in every thread, you will see that I am not what you have described. Honesty, accuracy, and clarity is all I strive for. People read these threads to get information. When someone post something that is not 100% accurate I will post a point of clarification.

I wasn't the only one making the same point of clarification. A mod did the same thing.

Most of DirecTV's HD RSN's are true 24/7 channels.

Its a shame the only folks who can possibly see all 100 HD channels are hackers, as no one else can.

Scott's using Dish's "headline" word for word. Is it wrong ? Yes, it is. They may say they're adding them, but they ain't there today, so they've "met" nothing yet.
Scott should use the headline as it is written. I was criticizing the headline itself, not Scott's thread title.

I just added up what I pay now with DVR Advantage AT 250 with multi sport, one extra DVR fee, and extra reciever fee. I compared to the new HD Turbo Platinum with the same stuff and it only saves me roughly 20 bucks and I lose FOX News as well as some others we dont have in HD yet. This does not sound like that great a deal to me anymore.

When I signed up for the HD ONLY package +locals. We were told by Charlie in a chat that any new HD channels added this year would be included in the package. Is he renaging on that agreement. I already pay for HBO and Starz. I have HDnet and etc. Are they going to take away those channels from my package or just add $10 to my promised $29.99 package for channels that I already have. Scott, do you have an answer.

Oh my...

At least with DirecTV if you have the premier package and pay an extra 10$ + 5$ you get access to all HD channels (the 5$ is for the additional channels that are not available in SD)

As for the breakdowns, before the press release... I was wondering about how the channels would breakdown and think it will it will be co-ordinated with the similarly ranked AT package (AT100 = HDT Bronze, AT200 = HDT Silver, AT250 = HDT Gold). The spreadsheet I threw together might make better sense. It is here. (again, this is just my speculation - I am in the same boat as the rest of you...)
I fear your spreadsheet is exactly right (thanks for doing it!). I'll be paying $19 more per month if you are correct...$110 instead of $91, but I guess that's still $23 less than I was paying at $133 with AEP.

Would you consider adding DVR Advantage rates to your sheet?

With the rsns being added to these turbo packs. I wonder if the sports pack is still available??

Personally I would rather have the VOOM channels back. While it's good that Dish is adding more HBO and Starz HD where is Nickelodeon HD, AMC HD, TNT HD, DIY HD, Game Show HD, Speed HD, Hallmark HD, Tru TV HD, FOX News HD, etc. When they say 100 National HD channels I believe they shouldn't include premium movie channels and RSN's in HD.

I fear your spreadsheet is exactly right (thanks for doing it!). I'll be paying $19 more per month if you are correct...$110 instead of $91, but I guess that's still $23 less than I was paying at $133 with AEP.

Would you consider adding DVR Advantage rates to your sheet?

Can do (when I get home - called into work)...

The press release states that the DVR Advantage packs include "...local channels and a free DVR receiver..."

Does that mean an end to the lease fees that some of us still pay? Wishful thinking, huh?

What's with the "free DVR receiver" available with each package if you have Dish DVR Advantage? Unless it's an HD DVR receiver what good is it for an HD package? I already have a 622 and I need a free HD receiver for our 3rd tv (analog).

I have the "HD Only" package and it appears my bill will go up by $20 and I will not be able to have reception on my 3rd tv (analog) because the SD equivalent channels will not be included in these new packages.

The HD Only package has been a good deal but the replacement (Turbo Gold) is a 67% price increase and just ain't gonna work for me...

I wonder how long we will be able to keep the HD Only package?

Personally I would rather have the VOOM channels back. While it's good that Dish is adding more HBO and Starz HD where is Nickelodeon HD, AMC HD, TNT HD, DIY HD, Game Show HD, Speed HD, Hallmark HD, Tru TV HD, FOX News HD, etc. When they say 100 National HD channels I believe they shouldn't include premium movie channels and RSN's in HD.

Agreed. With Voom, there were 15 channels (perhaps of questionable quality) for $10. Now, aside from the 4 others, we have 13 premiums for $30+ bucks, many of which are just as guilty of repeats as Voom. If my price goes up, I'm seriously considering a move do Directv. At least they will have the capacity to add those other channels (although where have you been, the've had TNT HD forever). Heck, if TWC adds Sci-fi, USA, and Travel HD, I would seriously consider going back to cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)