Dish Network® Outlines Upcoming Hd Launch Schedule

If you want a company who will shell out 750 million dollars of all their customer's money to have an exclusive contract for a service a small percentage of their customers will then have to pay extra for, then have at it.

That is exactly what VOOM is except they basically own it. E* is being hamstrung by the VOOM acquisition. They need to do something with that. VOOM is taking up a lot of bandwidth for only a few good channels. You want to talk about reruns? VOOM is the rerun champion of the world! E* can't compete with bandwidth capacity. They simply can't deliver as much HD. This is an opinion and not based on fact. Please feel free to educate me if I am wrong. Peace.

That is exactly what VOOM is except they basically own it. E* is being hamstrung by the VOOM acquisition. They need to do something with that.
Touche teneightyp. (I like your nick by the way.)

It seems to me that all this Voom repetition has seriously devalued Dish's investment. I'm surprised that Charlie didn't put some clause in his contract to prevent this.

Voom is real HD with quality production, and a bare minimum of advertising. There is new content on most of the channels every month.

Voom is not deadhead sitcoms, 70's/80's reruns, and advertising every 6 minutes.

You don't like Voom and it's deversified programming - Got it. There are millions of other customers besides you and your 11 friends.

Voom is real HD with quality production, and a bare minimum of advertising.

I hear you there. I do like some of VOOM's stuff. I think they need to reorganize it, keep the good stuff and free up some bandwidth with the garbage. How do these channels survive with only E* broadcasting them? Is there some plan to be able to sell these channels to other companies?

Yes, there is a huge list of channels now adding HD to the end of their name and broadcasting only 1 or 2 hours of real HD every day on them. These channels are also showing 98% reruns and repeats and 4 minutes of commercials for every 6 minutes of television.

There's a building frenzy of uninformed desire to have HD on the end of every channel's name regardless of content.
But truth be known, Joe Consumer doesn't really care about having a few hours of HD programming available a day. He wants that "-HD" added to the channel.

I personally like the Voom channels and would be sad if Dish got rid of them. Equator HD is awesome. I just wish the resolution was better, closer to the 1920x1080 they are broadcasting in.

Sure, we all have our "pet channels" that we would like to see. And some of those that are wanting USA and SCI-FI in HD are being more vocal than others. But just because the channels don't broadcast HD 24 hrs a day, I'm not going to discount them. The fact is that currently, the only way I can see Battlestar Galactica or Stargate Atlantis or Monk or Psych in HD is to either subscribe to D* or a cable company that offers the channels in HD, or wait for reruns to air on Universal HD, or wait for them to release the shows on Blu-ray, or get HD dumps through some "less than legal" methods.

Of course, now that I've posted this, I guess the count of people complaining about the lack of those channels has increased to 13... :)

All this being said, I have been patiently waiting (well mostly patiently), and will continue to wait. Someday, hopefully soon (not Dish's version of "soon"), we'll all get the channels we want.

It is not like VOOM is taking up a bunch of space that will hamper Dish. Dish has space, they will get more space in 9 days from SA. It is not like they are stuck for 6 months because they picked up VOOM. If AMC-14 does not reach 61.5 Dish will still have room in the next couple of weeks for about 24+ channels...

Dish can always resort to pushing off more international channels. Yes it takes a few months to get them moved, but it would be possible to move a ton more (like 9 TPs or 54+ more HD channels).

The problem with Dish not adding HD nationals is not a space issue. AMC-14 lets them add more quicker without having to move internationals so fast, and in the long run helps with 4 more TPs.

It is obviously something else, why else are they uplinking slates for SciFi/USA? They could even take down a few HD PPV channels for a few days to quickly uplink national HD if they really wanted to do so. I personally believe they put everything on hold to get the HD LiL on 61.5 up first, then they will have the engineers worry about national HD.

I personally believe they put everything on hold to get the HD LiL on 61.5 up first, then they will have the engineers worry about national HD.

Agreed Mr. Mike123abc, we hear more people screaming for the big 4 locals than SciFi/USA. Most of the chatter is localized so it is not like one giant shout for one channel, but a thousand shouts for a thousand channels.

Woah...did you just stumble on to something. "Soon" the undefined term used consistantly by DN. And price increase coming for all in Feb '09. Wonder if it is just a coincidence.

Coincidence, no.
Dish had a price freeze on Dish Family as well as DDA when they were launched in 2007 until Feb. 2009. So yes, there will be a price increase in Feb. '09.

Yeah well be interesting if anything shows up this week in the up link reports.

It will be more intersting to see if ESPNnews HD, Disney Channel HD and ABC Family HD show up Next Week, when they are launched. Not as uplinked, but as uplinked and available.

If they don't then it will be a long dry summer for National HD. My interpretation of that would be that there isn't really any usable capacity for more National HD until Echostar 11 is ready in the fall.

I had a little preview of DirectTV HD over the weekend. The DVR my sister has truly sucks compared to my 622.

Speed HD doesn't suck when compared to Dish's SD feed.

Yeah well like Dish has said I think they will add those National HD Channels as they can during the summer months. So overall if they get those channels up they will be fine and have just as much as Direct or about the same. But yeah Dish hardware to me is by far better than anyone else out there. :)

Screw Cleveland, Indianapolis, Norfolk, Walla Walla, Buffalo, and whoever else doesn't have local HDs. All I care about is MY Cincinnati locals. I know everybody wants to see Cincy's local HDs up before everyone else's. I'm sure it's a national priority. Once they fire up the Cincy local HDs, I'll be happy. I don't care about the rest of you guys...just me and my local HDs.

Charlie E, I know you must be reading this....PLEASE can you do CINCINNATI now? Pretty please?

(for you uptight people who can make diamonds with their asses, this post was sarcastic humor)

Screw Cleveland, Indianapolis, Norfolk, Walla Walla, Buffalo, and whoever else doesn't have local HDs. All I care about is MY Cincinnati locals. I know everybody wants to see Cincy's local HDs up before everyone else's. I'm sure it's a national priority. Once they fire up the Cincy local HDs, I'll be happy. I don't care about the rest of you guys...just me and my local HDs.

Charlie E, I know you must be reading this....PLEASE can you do CINCINNATI now? Pretty please?

(for you uptight people who can make diamonds with their asses, this post was sarcastic humor)

We should make this into a template with the city name blank so everyone that doesn't have their HD lils can use it! ;)

We should make this into a template with the city name blank so everyone that doesn't have their HD lils can use it! ;)

You mean like this,
Screw Cleveland, Indianapolis, Norfolk, Walla Walla, Buffalo, and whoever else doesn't have local HDs. All I care about is MY Chattanooga locals. I know everybody wants to see Chattanooga's local HDs up before everyone else's. I'm sure it's a national priority. Once they fire up the Chattanooga local HDs, I'll be happy. I don't care about the rest of you guys...just me and my local HDs.

Charlie E, I know you must be reading this....PLEASE can you do Chattanooga local HD,s now? Pretty please? :D